• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. PunkDaFraud is no longer sponsored by Echo Fox

User Info: Vulcan422

Vulcan422
4 weeks ago#51
playboydojo posted...
How the hell is Counter-strike and Starcraft still going after all this damn time?! Are those games really just that good?

Counter-Strike and Starcraft have been eSports juggernauts since its inception. Counter-Strike is pretty much the quintessential competitive FPS. No other franchise has come close to achieving that sort of longevity and notoriety. It's got a lot of depth and it's exciting to watch. Not sure about Starcrft myself. I personally find RTSes not enjoyable to play or watch. If I want to watch strategic matches, I'll just watch fighting games or chess.
Super Smash Bros. is not a fighting game.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien, Guile | T7: Dragunov, Kazumi | SC6: Cervantes, Groh | BBTAG: Orie/Gordeau

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
4 weeks ago#52
aton_ra posted...
playboydojo posted...
How the hell is Counter-strike and Starcraft still going after all this damn time?! Are those games really just that good?

If I knew id tell you, but I honestly have no f***ing clue. I feel the same way about Smash Melee.

when people like what they like, they like it. they will pay to see it over and over again because thats what they like

to me thats f***in weird, but then again im someone who enjoys variety both within a games meta, character variety and even across games. as a result i view a lot of games and play a lot of them casually

FGC has almost too much variety. You take any madden game and you basically have the same thing as last year, cut and paste a few features. Street Fighter games, even their direct sequels, tend to be much bigger departures from their predecessors. And each numbered Street Fighter is like a new franchise, including Alpha/EX etc

I feel like fighting games are one of the few genres where as a spectacle it should be entertaining to someone, even if theyve never played it before. Youre watchin two characters go right at each other, not an avatar in a field of bodies swinging a sword repeatedly or one of dozens of running men with guns. But it ends up being the opposite
Learning something new everyday

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
4 weeks ago#53
@FightingGames

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/oct/17/punk-now-sponsored-team-reciprocity/

Eh?
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3

User Info: haimara

haimara
4 weeks ago#54
playboydojo posted...

i'd say a lot of it is just the whole legacy behind them. They were one of the first real popular esports so it's hard to dethrone them. Someone likes video games, looks at what's popular - okay, i'm gonna get into these games. Or money, stuff like that. Then the games stay popular

Takes money to make money, those games/companies have the money and the fanbase so they don't really have to do much to keep it rolling.

That's just what I think. I really don't get it otherwise. The games aren't changing that much (or at all, for Melee), so i dont know how people stay interested. I personally think counter strike is like, really bad. Even my few friends who were previously into it say it's super boring. Starcraft idk just too difficult for me, my micro is really bad
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. PunkDaFraud is no longer sponsored by Echo Fox
  • Topic Archived