• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Question for the community - professional scene

User Info: mustain2121

mustain2121
3 months ago#11
bvillebro posted...
mustain2121 posted...
Do other fighting games have something equivalent to the evo moment 37?

This is probably the Tekken equivalent

https://youtu.be/vDsCr-2Vl5M?t=103

Bryan Fury has a move called taunt, which requires hitting 3 of the face buttons simultaneously. The taunt begins with him grazing the foe with an unblockable knee and ends with him waving his hand at the foe. The knee, if it hits the opponent, leaves you at +16

The taunt can be cancelled at any time by pressing forward, including at the exact frame after the (short range) knee connects on the opponent. Bryan has a move called Jet Upper which is a 14 frame launcher, with a forward, back, 2 input. At its fastest, the move can be inputted in 3 frames

This means that if you input a taunt and it connects, you can immediately cancel the taunt and input what amounts to a 17 just frame sequence on the 17th frame of advantage for a free, unblockable launcher. But this requires you to input the taunt, cancel it on just frame, AND input the 3f jet upper on just frame

Needless to say, its one of the hardest sequences in Tekken, even in practice mode. Knee manages to connect the technique 3 times consecutively in a real match and max punish, effecitely resulting in a perfect death vortex on his opponent. You cant reliably hit confirm or OS the input, you must commit and be precise on both just frames and he does it as if it were nothing

Since taunt tracks tech rolls, the only way out of this without putting himself at disadvantage on an infinite stage were if Myk had just stayed on the ground and eaten a low kick.

Thanks for explaining all that. It sounds really complicated. Did it receive the same amount of hype out if the community as Evo#37 did? To this day, we still get people saying (including pros) that they got into fighting games because of that sequence.

I tried my hand at Tekken a few times and I can honestly say that on so many levels, it is harder than SF.
PSN: mustain21
"Chickens used to rule the earth eighty years ago when dinosaurs roamed Mexico" - Guacamelee 2.

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
3 months ago#12
it didnt, id say mostly because it wasnt done at EVO (but rather at super arcade?) and the audience for Tekken wasnt nearly as large back then, but its one of those moments that lore wise has gained more cult fame over the years as channels like AvoidingThePuddle have linked to it and given it more exposure

It, and Knee the player, did seemingly launch thousands of Bryan labbers who would try the character out in future games, though the tracking of Taunt would be nerfed in the next game

With Knee being the undisputed #1 player in the world in 2018, clips like this have been brought back into the limelight a bit, theres a few other versions of it that can be found online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALI0-KFBd0

Tekken is def a hard game, but its very rewarding. Lots of OGs played both games back in the day, including Alex Valle, Ryan Hart and Tokido. Some more contemporary players like Aris and fellow Taunt Jet Upper master MrNaps also are experienced Street Fighter players. Its dope seeing both SFV and Tekken 7 doing well in 2018
Learning something new everyday

mustain2121
3 months ago#13
@bvillebro you got me curious about equivalent moments in all competitive games, including FPS and strategy games.
"Chickens used to rule the earth eighty years ago when dinosaurs roamed Mexico" - Guacamelee 2.

User Info: tenpowers

tenpowers
3 months ago#14
The good portion of the Kof and anime playerbase is very aware of the pro scene and it's top players. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an EVO 37 moment that got more people into those games.
PSN: VileGlory

User Info: akt22

akt22
3 months ago#15
For better or worse, Woshige's "what are you standing up for" seem to be the EVO 37 moment for anime games. I've seen it appear in places not involved in fighting games besides ESPN.

User Info: haimara

haimara
3 months ago#16
mustain2121 posted...
@bvillebro you got me curious about equivalent moments in all competitive games, including FPS and strategy games.

MILLION DOLLAR DREAM COIL

mustain2121
3 months ago#17
akt22 posted...
For better or worse, Woshige's "what are you standing up for" seem to be the EVO 37 moment for anime games. I've seen it appear in places not involved in fighting games besides ESPN.

LOL I was just thinking about that, and the original Ricky vs. Wolfkrone incident. Classic.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Question for the community - professional scene
  • Topic Archived