• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: WebsandWigs

WebsandWigs
5 years ago#1
Does anyone know if you'll be able to transfer characters from the 360 version?
"Loudly tell people at the store you want to play Kirby Squeak Squad." - HeroicSomaCruz on being an 30 year old gamer

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
5 years ago#2
no.

you cannot transfer any version of the game at all.

From has stated that none of the games will allow character transfer, NONE. 360 to 360... nope, PS3 to PS3... nope, PC to PC nope.

There are actually 2 different versions of the game going to be available... DS2 Vanilla, which is already complete, and DS2:SFS which will include everything that was in the Vanilla, but has added modules, updated graphics, more NPCs, and likely a re-work of the game engine, which would change extreme amounts of progress data. The saves from previous games would appear corrupt, due to them not being formatted correctly.

I'm sure that people will be unhappy to have to re-build, but guess what, You can make more educated choices this time... from the start.

I will get this game on Day One for sure, Even after owning it on PC and 360. Would I like to transfer my level 280 character? Absolutely... but this would mean I missed things on playthrough 1, 2, 3, and 4... being that I am on playthrough 5 with that character.

Personally I think that 6 months from now, I will forget about a lot of the game, and having the new game, along with the added co-op stuff, blacksmiths, and story quests, that I would not mind starting at the very beginning again... knowing to just level up my dagger and grab a Mace ASAP...

User Info: VonBlade

VonBlade
5 years ago#3
"Extreme amounts of progress data" - How?

Is this NPC dead yes/no?
Has this quest been completed yes/no?
What items in what quantities has the player got?
What level and where are the points spent?

That's about it barring bonfire levels etc. When we rest at a bonfire everything in the world resets except for certain NPC flags. So rubbish would much change beyond the new NPCs being set to not dead, or spoken to. Just like the game is when you first play it.
Currently playing : Dark Souls 2, Crimzon Clover, Skullgirls and Disgaea 4

User Info: Maverickneo

Maverickneo
5 years ago#4
Is there a link that says this somewhere? that you CANNOT transfer characters?

User Info: tropicalescape

tropicalescape
5 years ago#5
vonblade posted...
"Extreme amounts of progress data" - How?

Is this NPC dead yes/no?
Has this quest been completed yes/no?
What items in what quantities has the player got?
What level and where are the points spent?

That's about it barring bonfire levels etc. When we rest at a bonfire everything in the world resets except for certain NPC flags. So rubbish would much change beyond the new NPCs being set to not dead, or spoken to. Just like the game is when you first play it.

I agree it's just laziness on Froms part.
GT: iTropicalEscape

ApexMjolnir
5 years ago#6
Laziness... sure, its a port, with a tweaked engine. Do you have any idea how much of a chore it is to make links for 82,000+ code shortcuts, and then test each one to make sure that it still links to the correct thing?

For example, The shortcut code for a specific item, may point to a line of code that exists at BE22 60FF, if you tell the engine to use that address, it will have the correct values. If for example this is Cale's Helmet, and you upgrade it from +2 to +3, the code will then shift to BE22 61FF, which links to the stats stored for the +3. When adding this item to the game, it creates a minimum of 3 separate addresses. The items visual information, its physical attributes, and its location/status. If the item is dropped, it has another location, adding shopkeepers, a gifting system, etc all add new links that need to be programmed to link to that item.

Rather than sifting through the code to find these links, it is re-compiled.

Trust that FROM knows the game has to launch in a specific window to be successful as a PORTED upgrade. a Simple, Hey you can't import your characters warning, simply tells me, the game will release on time, and not 2 years from now, because of character imports.

User Info: Maverickneo

Maverickneo
5 years ago#7
Character imports will also bring in hacked weapons, armors and characters from the 360 version...

tropicalescape
5 years ago#8
It's lazy for a developers to release a tweaked version of the game for full price one year after initial launch. Is there any expanded content? Nope, you get a $60 reworked SM system. I'd rather them wait 2 years and either release a new game or an expansion. Not a DLC but a full blown expansion. That would be worth closer to $60 imo.
GT: iTropicalEscape

ApexMjolnir
5 years ago#9
Tropical... do you think that the game is only a PACKAGE DEAL of the already released game?

You may want to do a little more research bud.

The content already available is going to have tons of new content stuffed into it. Add in the upgraded graphics engine, 6 player online Co-op/PVP, additional areas, improved storylines, updated items and weapons... its not just the Glorified GOTY Dark Souls 2 that most games get... and sell for full price... its a bigger game... much bigger.

It not on scale with Borderlands 2, in terms of DLC content to be added, but I would imagine that From will have DLC for this game as well, even though they are not fans of having DLC. Honestly, if they can figure out how to do it, they could technically add on Dark Souls 1 entire map, as DLC, complete with enemies... I would pay $30 for that... heck, I would pay $40...

tropicalescape
5 years ago#10
ApexMjolnir posted...
Tropical... do you think that the game is only a PACKAGE DEAL of the already released game?

You may want to do a little more research bud.

The content already available is going to have tons of new content stuffed into it. Add in the upgraded graphics engine, 6 player online Co-op/PVP, additional areas, improved storylines, updated items and weapons... its not just the Glorified GOTY Dark Souls 2 that most games get

A lot of this is false.

There will be no additional areas.
Updated story lines and items is in regards to the lore only.

If I'm wrong please give a link to these additional areas.

ApexMjolnir posted...
I would imagine that From will have DLC for this game as well, even though they are not fans of having DLC.

From loves DLC so much that Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, Crown of the Ivory King were all planned before the game was even released. So that's also a lie.

Dark Souls 2 - $59.99 + $24.99 DLC Season Pass = $84.98

Somebody who's payed that much should get the same tweaked game for less than $60. It's a quick buck for Soft.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers