• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Roninzeta

Roninzeta
1 month ago#1
I really want to punch DS2. I’ve always hid behind shields, but I want to challenge myself with powerstancing. What better challenge than to hit things with my fists?

As far as I can tell, there’s two basic Caestus builds. High Poise, vs Flynn’s Ring. The first loads up on Vitality and armor, and you just trade blows with enemies. The other keeps max equip load below 60, for that extra Flynn damage.

Ring space is already tight, though. Stone Ring is a must. Ring of Blades +1 in NG. So, what to use for the last ring? Third Dragon would increase Stamina, but Cloranthy +1 would make regen faster. Also, if I take Third, then my Vitality stops at 10, but without it, I’d need 14 to reach 60 equip load.

Bonus question, what’s a good low weight armor set? With weapons and rings, I’m at 7 weight, and I’d like to keep it below 50%. So I’ve got about 23 weight to work with. I imagine elemental and status resists would be important, as I won’t have room for resistance rings.

Roninzeta
4 weeks ago#2
I’ve been playing this build for a week now, and I’m kinda shocked. I thought punching things would make the game more difficult, but this might be the easiest time I’ve had! 2 Caestus, powerstanced, has incredible dps and staggering power. Most regular enemies can’t fight back and bosses melt under the barrage of fists. I’m at the Dragon Aerie, so not many bosses left in the main game.

I leveled up two poison infused Claws, just to change things up. They’re effective against invasions, ogres and dragons. And some bosses are vulnerable to poison and/or bleed. Like the Rotten. But besides variety, the claws were probably a waste of time. The raw damage of the Caestus’ would handle the same situations.

Like i mentioned, I usually hide behind shields, which also means I usually wear heavy armors. But ive been just fine in the Wanderer set the entire game. I plan on using the Alva set for the dlc. I think I’ll need some extra poise there, and Alva keeps my equip load below 50%.

User Info: Hell_Euphoria

Hell_Euphoria
4 weeks ago#3
Roninzeta posted...
I plan on using the Alva set for the dlc. I think I’ll need some extra poise there
I think the set only gives about 20 poise total which is worthless imo, moreso in the DLC considering most of the mobs in there are powerhouses. Id rely more on just staggering first rather than trying to be staggerless. You using the stone ring i presume?
PSN: HellEuphoria

Roninzeta
4 weeks ago#4
Hell_Euphoria posted...
I think the set only gives about 20 poise total which is worthless imo, moreso in the DLC considering most of the mobs in there are powerhouses. Id rely more on just staggering first rather than trying to be staggerless. You using the stone ring i presume?
Fair point. I suppose if I absolutely must, I can use the Dranleic set for poise, if a particular boss is messing with me. I don’t want to do that, as with my setup, that puts me at 69.8%. I suppose I can stick to the Wanderer set, but I’m a little bored of looking at it. Regular enemies don’t matter, as you say, I have the Stone Ring, and very few enemies aren’t staggered by the one-two of L1.

I’ll have to switch out a ring for Sinh, I’ll need the Bracing Kuckle so my weapons don’t break. Fume Knight…, well, I either remember his timing or I don’t. Allone, I think I’ve only beaten him once. Honestly I’m most worried about King’s Pet, I can never read it’s moves in the blizzard. I will be skipping all three of the multiplayer boss fights, as they’re just not fun.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Roninzeta
3 weeks ago#5
Final update. I have punched my way through the dlc. No doing the co-op optional bosses, and not doing NG+. Sunken Crown was (relatively) easy, at least no harder than a normal run. Old Iron Crown was definitely tough, but I finally punched Fume and Alonne to death.

I struggled with the Ivory King bosses. I eventually used npc summons for both. King’s Pet, just because the blizzard makes it hard for me to react to the cat’s moves. Iron King, because the enemy Knights mostly ignore the ally knights! I think it’s unfair that all 4 enemy knights will laser focus on you! But they will target the two npc summons. Also, powerstanced Dual Caestus would not stagger the enemy knights. I finally found success with a two-handed Bone Fist, with the basic R1 staggering them. In contrast, fighting the King himself was easier than dealing with the ganking at the start of the fight.

User Info: callipygias

callipygias
3 weeks ago#6
Roninzeta posted...
powerstanced Dual Caestus would not stagger the enemy knights.
lol wow. That must've been a pretty brutal fight.
We are born of the roly poly -- Made men by the roly poly
Undone by the roly poly
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A