You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Suggestions for a Mage Party? (Specific Composition)

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#11
Congrats on clearing the first stratum. Progressing in these types of games with your own unique party is always satisfying.

So you're considering swapping the Warlock into a second Shaman? I'd try to keep the Warlock around, since they'll be able to bring the damage once you unlock promotions. SP is just tight in the early game. Even if they're not dealing a lot of damage directly, Amplifier is a big boost to the other two.

Did you grab the Healing Knife in the secret area on 2F? That can make healing easier in the early game. Shaman will have no healing issues once you reach promotions. But if you do want to alter class your Warlock, I'd go to Botanist. That'll give you the healing + reviving without items, as well as more access to ailments. After promotions, Botanist and Harbinger can work well together. Both are capable of boosting the other's chance of landing an ailment, and Botanist is able to set up debuffs if you want to go for Ephemeral Reap. Either one or both have the option of building for damage.

User Info: combatclinic

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#12
Ah, yes I do have Healing Knife, pretty useful but isn't keeping up with damage dealt in the 2nd stratum, turkey's and flies and all. Gonna have to scrounge up money for Medica II.

Yay or Nay for Gourmet for my warlocks? Seems useful but I dont know how high the boost is for TP recovery.

Alright, Stay Warlock or Botanist, hmm?

If I go Botanist, I'll be able to combo with my Harbinger in the future, with full access to healing and debuffs.

If I stay Warlock, would he have any debuffs to complement Eph. Reap? Since right now, he's the support Warlock, on amplifier and magic shield duties and it's totally cool that he's doing this, he occasionally takes hits in the frontline.

Should I put points past Lvl 4 in skills despite the TP cost increase?

and what skills should I focus on Shaman, besides def prayer? Att prayer? the heal they got?

Thanks in advance!

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#13
I've never bothered with Gourmet personally, but it's good at what it does. If you're making good use of food, then that one point should be worth it.

If you're planning to go for Clever Strike, then the Warlock won't have debuffs. However, the other Warlock promotion is able to place a debuff and deal damage at the same time.

I'd keep most skills at level 4. I don't increase TP costs until I reach the point where I'm not having TP issues in boss/FOE fights. That said, the increased cost isn't a big issue if you have a lot of TP recovery. I don't remember the specifics, but I know there's a one-time event in the second stratum where you can get a full inventory of Amritas.

Dance Oracle is Shaman's best way to boost elemental damage, but it's SP intensive. I don't bother with it until after promotions. If you're skipping Dance Oracle for now, then you can focus extra points on Ruinous Prayer. If you want Dance Oracle as quickly as possible and don't want to rest after promotions, then you could skip Ruinous for now.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Suggestions for a Mage Party? (Specific Composition)