You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Suggestions for a Mage Party? (Specific Composition)

User Info: combatclinic

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#1
Ahoy-hoy, I'm here to ask even more questions about team comps!

So here's the thing, my save file got corrupted and took that as a sign to switch up my last party (which was filled with glass cannons) and now want to focus with Mages, Healers and Support. So if you can suggest a team comp with the restrictions I'll put up, that'd be great! Had this game for several months but still have a hard time playing through the 1st and 2nd stratum. Bear with me here.

Restrictions:

Mage, Healer, Support Only:

- Available classes: Harbinger, Botanist, Shaman, Warlock, Necromancer.

- Characters with the same class is A-OK, as long as they work well together, being same class and all?
Like...Uh, triple shamans or something?

Suggestions on how to keep this fragile china from shattering before getting to Floor 3 of the first stratum is great appreciated! Thanks in advance!

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#2
A couple Necromancers should allow you to survive the earlygame without much trouble. One Necro uses Fierce Shield, and at least one more provides a steady stream of wraiths. Besides that, Harbinger and/or Brounis should be bulky enough to make up a front line, and you could boost your survivability with Aegis Prayer + Stifling Miasma, along with Vitality Prayer after promotions.

Looking into later in the game, there's a lot you can do with a party of at least 3 Necromancers. The more Necromancers you have, the most chances you get to immediately replace any wraiths your lose with your passive skills. With at least 3 Necros, you can use the Fierce Shield + Grave + Wraith Dance combo. You also have the option of Zombie Powder and/or Tombstone Vice shenanigans. Since it's possible to kill and replace a lot of wraiths in one turn, you could also get Negative Energy to hit pretty hard with the right setup.

Warlocks could also work really well together. With one source of elemental damage (from Shaman or something), every Elemancer gains their Common Magic buff. Multiple Omnimancers would be able to quickly build up stacks for Altar, which would have a pretty good chance of petrifying. You could open with Chain Blast against bosses/FOEs, which could buy enough time to set up Altar for petrification.

I'd look at a team of 5 Necromancers, or else something along the lines of 3 Necros + Harbinger + Shaman, or something like 3 Warlocks + Harbinger + Shaman.

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#3
The 3 warlock + Harbinger + Shaman seems interesting, something I would be so gungo-ho for, but would the warlocks be the same race? besides the passives what would make the warlocks play with each other's strengths and wouldnt that cripple my early game? Also if I were to make this team, will I be able to put 1 warlock in the frontline or will that be bad? I'd really like to at least put 1 of them in the front, but I think Amplifier wouldn't be used efficiently if i were to do that?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#4
Keeping everyone as their base race would be fine. You could switch Harbinger to Therian if you preferred access to those racial skills. You could also make one Brouni Warlock, and make Shaman either Earthlain or Therian if you really wanted access to all 4 races. It'd leave Shaman with poor WIS, but it's an option.

You can keep one Warlock in the front row if you want, and then move them to the back row on the turn you use Amplifier, or you can just leave all 3 in the back row. I suppose leaving one in the front row and just missing the Amplifier buff is also technically an option.

If Harbinger and Shaman are focusing on keeping the party alive, then the Warlocks don't need to do much more than focus on damage. Only one Warlock needs to grab Amplifier, and you should probably have one of them put at least a few points in Magic Shield before that first boss.

User Info: DemiseEnd

DemiseEnd
4 weeks ago#5
Shaman(Heal) - Brouni
Shaman(damage) - Celestrian
Necromancer(Tank) - Earthlain
Necromancer(Flex) - Celestrian
Warlock(primary damage) - Celestrian

A lot of class doubling, i find this fun to do in V because every class have strong self contained synergy

Shaman can do decent damage once they get Mana Oracles post promotion. Note that Brouni are a fairly tanky race so you can put them in frontline with some protection

Tanking Necromancer uses only Fierce Shield and maybe can use Poison bomb. Either way small TP consumption on Fierce Shield means you can fit an Earthlain and their strong Union.

A second Necro is picked due to their acces to the only damage mitigation skill on mages - Golem Coffin Hallowed Shield can probably make you able to make a strong defensive core. Later as the class opens up you can expand their options

Warlock is picked for many reasons, they can buff, they can offer elemental mitigation if required, and theyre a very competent all around damage dealer. Early on they can leverage your needs for damage before the other class took off
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it.
3ds fc:3823-9549-3094 - Ice > Fire

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#6
@YoruWestwood
I see, it does sound interesting, but wouldn't the warlocks have the same skills? Fireball, Lightning and Icicle Lance which I suppose I'll just have to spam in bosses and hope they go down fast enough?
Also, supposing that I'd want 1 of each race, which would you believe is a great match for Harbinger, Shaman, Warlock x 3?
Ah, and does the shaman's attack buff help with this setup? If not what should i focus on? Survival and defense skills for all my adventurers?

@DemiseEnd
That too sounds pretty great, but hmm a single necro focusing on a single skill, fierce shield sounds like a pretty depressing life for him. :P
I'll think about it, thanks for your suggestion!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#7
Well yeah, the Warlocks are going to have the same skills for the most part. I guess you could consider focusing one on each element, but it's probably better for them to invest in their skills equally so you can keep TP costs lower. In the earlygame, if Aegis Prayer + Stifling Miasma is enough to keep the party alive, then you're good to go, but if not, then you don't have much of a choice but to kill stuff faster than it kills you. Keeping yourself alive will be easier later in the game once you have access to Chain Blast and stuff.

For all 4 races, I'd go Earthlain Harbinger and Therian Shaman to pair with Brouni Warlock and double Celestrian Warlock. Therian Shaman wouldn't have the greatest WIS, but quite a bit of their healing is percent based, so it wouldn't matter that much. And with the boosted STR you could consider an Invoke Gods build. I'd still probably stick with the base races, though, since all you lose is access to Therian racial skills.

I imagine Shaman is going to have to focus purely on Aegis Prayer and healing in order to keep the party alive, but once you can comfortably keep the party alive, Ruinous Prayer will be a nice damage bonus.

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#8
Alright, I'm pumped, I think I have this down. Last question, here's my take away from what you've told me, what do you think about it?

Guild Catharsis:

Shaman (Brouni) - Harbinger (Earthlain) - Warlock (Celes)

Warlock (Celes) - Warlock (Celes)

Summary:

So from what I know from hearsay, I have a very limited amount of knowledge on 2nd names? BUT, this is what I came up with. Shaman will focus on his healing and defensive skills, while Harbinger will be my tankiest and my emergency healer with, uh, atonement I think? Frontline Warlock in the future will have clever hit to hit single enemies hard and the other two will focus on like, AoE spells.

Honestly it's very barebones, but I at least have a goal in mind about my team for now!

YoruWestwood
4 weeks ago#9
Looks good. As long as you properly utilize your defensive options, you should be able to reach second names. And once you reach those, you'll be able to get a stronger picture of how you want to shape your team from there.

combatclinic
4 weeks ago#10
@YoruWestwood
Hmm, so the whole party's a pretty fragile glass cannon, but i GOT THROUGH the first stratum, which made me extremely proud of my team! It's really fun! Only, my future clever strike user is lagging behind in damage... Because I'm mostly investing in amplifier (4) and Magic shield (2), I don't think he's fitting quite well, since front or back he's not contributing to dmg nor soaking dmg, should I alter his class into dance shaman? Maybe he'll synergise better with my harbinger later? Or should I keep using him for that future clever hit, since its been good in previous EO games? any advice on what class to alter my celestrian to? Shaman? Botanist, maybe since im lacking healing?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Suggestions for a Mage Party? (Specific Composition)