You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Finally finished the game.

User Info: DeliFlatChest

DeliFlatChest
3 months ago#1
I've made a topic about what everyone thinks of the games on the Nexus board but since that topic seems to have served its purpose, I decided to let it die instead of trying to keep it alive, and I used to post EOV updates there.

Finished at the 5th stratum, not planning to do the 6th anytime soon.

Despite the many flaws it has, it is a pretty fun game, nowhere as good as EO3 though.

I used Masurao(Blade Master), Dragoon(Cannon Bearer), Harbringer(Death Bringer), Warlock(Omnimancer) and Botanist(Merciful Healer).

Helm Splitter requires completely investing into both Speed Boost and Foot Sweep to be honestly worth using, I've had it miss 3 times in a row on an FoE that was hit by Foot Sweep, though it's still by far one of the best Blade Master's options for damage, I greatly underestimated Cannon Bearer, I was thinking "hey since dragoon is a tank class, Cannon Bearer is just gonna be there for support damage, right?"
Nope. Tochka/Decoy Turret is hilariously broken, Just set 3 of them and watch bosses and FoEs kill themselves, this is ignoring the absurd damage that buster cannon can do. Harbringer feels like a worse nightseeker honestly but at least Habringer can actually land debuffs, NS in EO4 just couldn't land debuffs for most of the battles, but reap skills being AoE is good in of itself, Frigid Reap is f***ing strong. Warlock honestly didn't get that much use, I appreciated Altar at the later stratums though but the damage felt supbar for his spells. Reflex Herb+Lingering Scent is a really good combo, I wish Botanist had something like prevent order though.

Ok now into my experience with stratums themselves, the first stratum is your standard forest level, though it wasn't visually unappealing, the gimmick isn't so bad but I wished it wasn't there, the boss wasn't anything special, the 2nd stratum is rather nice, but the whole thing about making the monkeys throw the pillars to block/make paths wasn't pleasant, particularly since you won't know what is on the other side, same thing with the giraffes that leap to the wall, if you haven't explored parts of the area before you can expect yourself to be ambushed by them once. 3rd stratum was really my favorite stratum of the game, ignoring the extremely mundane boss(which it turned out it wasn't as hard as I initially thought), I like the music, the visuals, and everything about it really. 4th stratum is when the game starts going downhill, Yet another teleporter puzzle in a JRPG, and this one is a pretty bad one too, I decided to jump whip up a completed map and go with it at the last two floors. I've had people say to me that it isn't that bad, but this is by far worse than Porcelain Forest's teleporters, which I thought was rather fine for a teleporter puzzle. The 5th stratum initially seemed like it was enjoyable, however it is very easy to miss shortcuts that I thought you had to get to end to the floor in one or two trips.

Now as for my least liked part of the game, I feel like the dungeon design and especially random encounter combinations were bs. The dungeon design itself isn't bad but starting from the 17th stratum and on it honestly just drags on and stops being enjoyable. I know that "EO is supposed to be difficult" etc etc, but if your idea of "difficulty" is having an encounter where there are multiple enemies that can petrify/paralyze/curse your entire party with one attack, that's just cheap. It starts feeling like it is cheap design starting from the 3rd stratum (4 Ghosts and Coffin Demon, CD alone is enough of a problem), and it only gets worse going on (Anything with Saurians, and having multiple hypno bats. Particularly the Hex Steeds and Capras in the 5th stratum ,which you encounter a lot of). The encounters combined with how the dungeons are just makes for an unfun experience, the 25th floor combines the worst of both, you can't walk far away enough without being interrupted by encounters.
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""

DeliFlatChest
3 months ago#2
The first 4 stratum bosses were killed on the 2nd attempt, the final boss though did actually take me a lot of tries(relatively at least), I was considering increasing the difficulty since I thought it would be a repeat of the previous bosses, but thankfully I decided to not do that, since I had to redo my entire party's skills and rely on spamming somas to finish the boss.

The 6th stratum seems pretty cool, though I won't be doing that as I already said(Might finish every EO first then proceed to all 6th stratums), visually speaking at least from just moving into the teleporter it looks aesthetically pleasing.

Overall though, I had rather low expectations for the game because the title system doesn't seem good(it wasn't but the classes you work with work great with it, albeit with some weird/redundant skills). I like many of the changes this game has compared to the previous games, in particular adventurer episodes and how weapon forge works, I like the EO5 weapon forge more than EO3 and EO4 though I can see why it can "objectively worse" since you don't give it abilities as you want. A lot of other changes I felt were doing their job well enough even though they weren't particularly good/well done(can't name anything tbh, just speaking in general).

I'd rank it below EO3 but above the other games, EO3>>EO5>EO2U>>>EO4.

I plan to return to EO2U, I'm at the 2nd stratum's boss but I'm redoing my party(from Survivalist/Ronin/Alchemist/Gunner/Gunner to perhaps Survivalist/Ronin/Landshark/Gunner/Sovereign).
Then after 2U I might do EOU story mode.
EO4 is at the 4th land but I honestly didn't enjoy that game despite being my first EO.

I'll plan to get Nexus/X later on too.

(This is all in addition to what I said in that other topic in general, except for obviously the opposing parts)
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""
(edited 3 months ago)

DeliFlatChest
3 months ago#3
(whew that was a massive wall of text)

So yeah, I guess #blogfaqs.
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""

User Info: VulcanGrinch

VulcanGrinch
3 months ago#4
Massive wall indeed, but I read all of it because if I had more important things to do right now I wouldn't be here... kinda interesting to get a fresh look on EOV considering it's already a couple years old.

Helm Splitter does return as a Ronin ability in Nexus, but you - and with you some others - seem to misunderstand the mechanics behind it, IMO. It's supposed to miss that much, given that it has a 50% ~ 60% accuracy modifier. I always saw it as their strongest ability that can only be used with proper support, like leg bind, blind or petrify (I think it completely ignores defense). I never saw it as a skill you should be able to spam recklessly, since it outclasses so many other damage options besides a team-supported Hell Slash maybe, but that's a completely different build.

I can understand that you'd figure Foot Sweep and Helm Splitter should be used in conjuction, but that felt way too much like RNG to me. Doesn't help that the game never really mentions just how low Helm Splitter accuracy is - it actually becomes worse as you leve it up.

I had a dedicated healing Botanist in my first run as well, and they're really good at their job. Good luck ever dying with Reflex Herb, yeah. I ditched her for a Shaman in my second run though, good passive healing as well as very useful buffs and Oracle Dance. There's the ailment choice for Botanists as well, but I've heard the default Brouni stats are really bad for inflicting ailments.

Buster Cannon is godlike indeed. My second team was focused mostly on maximizing the damage of it, which requires several buffs and some turns of lockdown. Rapid Fire is very strong considering how fast it is as well - finally felt like they had a tanking class that could also contribute offensively.

Going by what you've said about the previous stratums, I don't think you'd like the 6th one a lot anyway. Teleporter puzzles are back with a vengeance - though with some logic behind them - and random encounters can inflict sleep or binds on your entire party easily. I've you thought the 4th and 5th strata were bad, just try a couple random encounters.

Btw, I'm curious what you like so much about EO3 class balance. I felt like some classes are very limited in which skills are actually worth using: Gladiator needs basically nothing but Charge + Blade Rave and perhaps Vow, Arbalists spend 99% of the time using Charge + Front Mortar.... my Zodiac was spamming Dark Ether half the time just to keep the previous two classes going etc... I liked EO3, but I never found the classes to be all that interesting (haven't tried Warrior's Might Shogun yet though).

User Info: Hemless

Hemless
3 months ago#5
You might hate a lot of things about Nexus too. Dungeon Variety (the first half of the game at least) you probably won't dislike but...

The real test would be if you hate the battle 1st parts of Nexus (especially if you don't play on Expert or Heroic), at which point I'd just call you a somewhere between a scrub and a casual, not insultingly - just that EO (or perhaps turn based games in general) have no way of combating the tools they give us outside of what you'll face in early Nexus and screen wide "YOU SLEEP/PANIC/CURSED NOW" that you disliked here.
I need to stop losing my passwords..

DeliFlatChest
3 months ago#6
VulcanGrinch posted...

Btw, I'm curious what you like so much about EO3 class balance. I felt like some classes are very limited in which skills are actually worth using: Gladiator needs basically nothing but Charge + Blade Rave and perhaps Vow, Arbalists spend 99% of the time using Charge + Front Mortar.... my Zodiac was spamming Dark Ether half the time just to keep the previous two classes going etc... I liked EO3, but I never found the classes to be all that interesting (haven't tried Warrior's Might Shogun yet though).

I like EO3 for like... everything, It's like of all EOs, it's the one that I can call made for me more than the other ones. The difficulty in it was just right as well, if you're wondering about that.

But since you're asking about classes, I think people give the balance too little credit, while yes, no limit on sub levels means that subbing some classes can be better than being said classes, you can also take a "useless" class and make it useful that way also.

I get where people are coming from when they say it is unbalanced, But it's not that bad? It's an issue, but not a glaring problem, in my runs I was able to use all the classes that I like, more or less, Shogun and Yggdroid remain to be used but that's because I'm saving them for the final run, where I do the 3rd route, not sure when I'll return to do that though. But it can be summed up as I was able to use the classes I like, and I like the classes in EO3, but I can see it being a big problem for other people.

Hemless posted...
You might hate a lot of things about Nexus too. Dungeon Variety (the first half of the game at least) you probably won't dislike but...

The real test would be if you hate the battle 1st parts of Nexus (especially if you don't play on Expert or Heroic), at which point I'd just call you a somewhere between a scrub and a casual, not insultingly - just that EO (or perhaps turn based games in general) have no way of combating the tools they give us outside of what you'll face in early Nexus and screen wide "YOU SLEEP/PANIC/CURSED NOW" that you disliked here.

When people say that a game is more fun/better on a certain difficulty, I always take that with a grain of salt, since, 1- difficulty is subject and, 2- I've had less fun with some games because I followed what people said about that.

That being said though, even If I'm a "casual EO player" I still want to form my opinion on each game(minus vanilla EO1/2), not go with what people say.

A funny thing about what you said of having tools to combat the bs with ailments though, EOV has such tool in the 5th stratum, where you start to face this problem, but getting it is just unfeasible (conditional drop from FOE, enemy needs to die from curse damage) unless you know how to use specific setups to kill enemies with curse damage.

But regardless, showering your party with ailments where you can't do much it remains an extremely cheap method to create "difficulty".

btw.

Should I play EO2U in Story or Classic mode?

I wanted to play it on classic but, ugh HP bloat, it isn't so bad right now I think, but don't know if it would be worse later, Flame Demon has 2~3 times as much HP as other 2nd stratum bosses from the other games.
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""

VulcanGrinch
3 months ago#7
There's a lot I like about EO3. The setting, the somewhat branching story, the new classes, sea quests... I just think that somewhere around the early postgame I realized I never used most of my skills anyway, nor did I really needed any other ones anymore. Granted, I was using probably the most standard cookie-cutter party so that might be the reason why.

As for EO2U:

I had much less trouble with the HP bloat on my Classic run of EO2U, but that might have been because it was my second run overall. I didn't much like the Story mode party, your damage output is heavily dependent on the Fafnir who has his best abilities locked behind certain story events, you get a War Magus that needs someone to set ailments to properly utilize her offensive skills and a Survivalist that can only inflict three different ailments anyway.

You can reclass the story mode characters (save for the Fafnir IIRC), but they keep the stats of their default class, so there's that to consider.

I had a trio of Dark Hunter / War Magus / Hexer in my Classic party, which provided me with plenty of damage and access to every bind and ailment possible (besides instant death / stun), you can take whichever two other classes you'd consider needed.

User Info: Hemless

Hemless
3 months ago#8
I didn't hate the story party, Bert is a decently written character and Fafnir makes the HP bloat not much of a factor - especially when he starts getting his more powerful story locked traits (The reason for the HP bloat is often blamed on Fafnir).

Making the Story War Magus an Ailing Slash user helps. She'll fill in for the gap of time when Fafnir isn't a broken monster.

The one thing that is highly recommended that I kinda wish I did, but never bothered to do was immediately reclass the story Survivalist to a Hexer.

If you go to the EO2U english Wiki or the EO2U board and get the "Valkyrie project" Grimoires you can super easily cover for your parties "weaknesses" or "gaps".
I need to stop losing my passwords..
(edited 3 months ago)

DeliFlatChest
3 months ago#9
Hmm I see, My current problem against the flame demon is that Insulating Gel is my only current way to defend against the flame demon, as well as probably not being able to kill the gel fast enough, that's from what I remember though.

Hemless posted...
I didn't hate the story party, Bert is a decently written character and Fafnir makes the HP bloat not much of a factor - especially when he starts getting his more powerful story locked traits (The reason for the HP bloat is often blamed on Fafnir).

Making the Story War Magus an Ailing Slash user helps. She'll fill in for the gap of time when Fafnir isn't a broken monster.

The one thing that is highly recommended that I kinda wish I did, but never bothered to do was immediately reclass the story Survivalist to a Hexer.

If you go to the EO2U english Wiki or the EO2U board and get the "Valkyrie project" Grimoires you can super easily cover for your parties "weaknesses" or "gaps".

Ah I'll check that out.
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""
(edited 3 months ago)

VulcanGrinch
3 months ago#10
Save your Survivalist's Force Break for the second wave of gels, use your Protector's Painless for when she detonates the third group. IIRC, that's how I got past the fight in story mode.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Finally finished the game.