11 months ago #1
    I have 3 CYOA’s on the EOIV boards: “(Out Of) Order”, “Meanwhile, Elsewhere...” (2 parts), and “Tell A Lie To Protect The Truth” (2 parts). If you’ve never participated in a foreehorizon CYOA before, I get pretty dark...

- - -
    You can’t help but smirk. “Come on, Beks, you got this - what are the ‘living legacies’ from before the Merge?”

Your sister, Nebekessa, furroughs her brow. “That’s not fair, Ciel - you know history isn’t my strong point...”

“Hence the reason we’re studying it - I’ve already got my GED, there’s no reason for you to be putting yours off.” Despite being twins, you girls have almost nothing in common - you inherited your mother’s black hair, pale skin, and studious nature, while Mom’s recessive traits allowed your sister copper skin, flame-red hair, and the same flighty tendencies that made Dad a world explorer. “Seriously, Beks, this one’s so easy, I should punish you if you can’t figure it out -“

“Maybe I can help!” You both look up at the voice of Hirinia - the Brouni waitress is still wearing stilts so she can reach the table to set down your drinks. After placing the empty tray under her left arm, she says, “I’ll give you a hint -“ and does a perfect curtsey - on stilts...

Confused, Beks just says, “Uhh...”

“Oh brother - so much for the Elmician educational system...” Hirinia clicks her tongue, and wags her finger at your sister. “The Therians and the Brouni, duh! Before the Merge - back when our wonderful world of Vitalie was still divided into Earth and S’Ls’Tyenne - the Earthlain and Celestian forces each created a new species, to compensate for the weaknesses of their own. The physically weak Celestians created the physically strong Therians, while the almost entirely non-magical Earthlains created the mystical Brouni. And for that, I thank your ancestors - I wouldn’t be half as adorable as I am today if they hadn’t created such a beautiful species back then!”

You and your sister are still giggling when you hear the door of the diner open behind you - and Nebekessa gasps in shock. You turn to look - and your eyes go wide.

The silver-skinned, gray-haired Celestian is sporting a black eye and a bleeding lip. The brown-furred Therian with him seems to have also been in a fight - although you are certain the missing left ear and crystal right eye are far from recent. And the two of them are approaching your table!

Hirinia steps back nervously as the Celestian gestures towards you, and says to the Therian, “Raven-hair beauty.” He then gestures towards Beks, and says, “Fiery temptress.”

“Fine, fine!” The Therian winces, then continues. “But in my defense, the sun is setting right now - they both looked blonde through the window. You didn’t have to punch me...”

The Celestian rubs his forehead. “Damnit, Steele, your intelligence sometimes rivals your lack of fur... My apologies, milady. My name is Deren...”

- - -

Deren was a natural charmer, the gentlemanly type who could flatter you with every word, and leave you believing it as gospel truth. Steele was the remorseless rogue, the slick-tongued scoundrel, the kind of guy who could keep Nebekessa giggling like a schoolgirl while pushing herself further into his arms.

Between the two of them, they kept you and your twin both blissfully unaware, as Deren slipped the tamoxis into both of your drinks. You sensed nothing wrong, as the four of you left together. You barely remember arriving at their apartment...

You do remember Deren’s roar of triumph when he discovered he was your first - and Steele’s screams of rage when he discovered he wasn’t your sister’s...

You remember the taste of your blood, and... far worse, when Deren shoved... that... into your mouth...

You remember the sounds... of breaking bones...

Continued next post...