Favourite 5th Stratum/Final Boss in the series

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Favourite 5th Stratum/Final Boss in the series

User Info: Lasatar

Lasatar
4 weeks ago#1
Topic - Results (47 votes)
Etreant (EO1)
2.13% (1 vote)
Etreant (EOU)
2.13% (1 vote)
Overlord (EO2)
2.13% (1 vote)
Overlord (EO2U)
10.64% (5 votes)
Automaton King + Olympia (EO3)
10.64% (5 votes)
Kujura + Deep Princess (EO3)
17.02% (8 votes)
Progenitor (EO3)
14.89% (7 votes)
Heavenbringer (EO4)
25.53% (12 votes)
Eternal Tyrant (EO5)
14.89% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
What a hell of a final boss battle. I am really glad I didn't look up any guides on how to beat this guy, since it made it all the more satisfying when it finally crumpled into the earth. A little anticlimactic when my hawk of all things dealt the finishing blow, though. Was hoping to end it in style.

So yeah, is it my favourite final boss in the series? While it was certainly a great fight, it isn't my favourite. I think I like the Heavenbringer just a little bit more. The Titan, unlike the Tyrant, left a longer lasting impression on me as a final boss, having all of the qualities that I like in a boss fight riddled into one. Plus, it was actually constantly relevant throughout the story of the game, unlike Mr Eternal, who just pops out of nowhere as big ugly and the game asks you to defeat him. Perhaps I would have felt more motivated to defeat him had Arken explained the backstory a bit more clearly. I dunno. Great fight, but just kinda popped out of nowhere.

But now that that's done, it's time to explore the 6th Stratum. I'm only on 26Fso far, and I'm already getting pissed at it. Not because it's difficult (yet), but because there aren't any damn walls, making my maps really unsure on what they want to be. Usually, I draw walls for places you can't see past. Not for untraversable places. They can usually be marked with an icon or a different colour (usually blue or grey). But the Empyreal Bride practically shuts this down entirely, having no walls whatsoever, meaning that if I were to map this place with my usual methods, it'd look like a damn mess. If there's any place that's gonna make me hate the mapping system, it's this stratum.

But enough raging at maps. What 5th Stratum boss is your favourite, and why?

(And don't try and tell me that the Progenitor is fought in the 4th Stratum. It's still fought after trekking through the 5th, and it's still a final boss, so it counts)
Mario Maker profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Lasatar

User Info: Desespkmaniaco

Desespkmaniaco
4 weeks ago#2
Empyreal Bridge\Redshift Corridor actually has opaque walls. They're just impossible to tell from see-through ones.

Anyway, I'll go with the Overlord. I don't really care for the battle but the guy was gloriously cheesy.

P.S. if the Progenitor counts, so should the Cursed Prince right?
Loliwood Lovely Log - https://loliwoodguild.wordpress.com/
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: aturf

aturf
4 weeks ago#3
I like EO3's main story bosses (Princess & Automaton King) mostly because I hated having to fight them (as in I felt bad and just immediately went into NG+ to figure out if there was a way around fighting them). Story-wise it fit in really well with choosing a side, and the fights themselves were good. It was the first time I actually got to the 5th stratum boss too so that's a factor.

Eternal Tyrant's battle music is just amazing though.

Lasatar
4 weeks ago#4
Desespkmaniaco posted...
P.S. if the Progenitor counts, so should the Cursed Prince right?

Nah, because the Progenitor was still the final boss. Meanwhile, the cursed Prince was the penultimate boss, and you had a break between him and the Heavenbringer.

Meanwhile, in EOIII, you have to fight Kujura and Gutrune right after each other with no breaks, so I grouped them together.
Mario Maker profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Lasatar

Desespkmaniaco
4 weeks ago#5
Lasatar posted...
Meanwhile, in EOIII, you have to fight Kujura and Gutrune right after each other with no breaks, so I grouped them together.

Then shouldn't they be the ones who don't count?
Didn't really play EO3, just pondering what difference there's between EO3's iteration of NPC->big boss and EO4's iteration of NPC->big boss.
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: Cataclysmical

Cataclysmical
4 weeks ago#6
It's close between Eternal Tyrant and Heavenbringer. I think both fights do an amazing job at introducing unique mechanics to the fight and both feel like final bosses, both in terms of presentation and difficulty I love Deep King for plot reasons but as a fight it's quite weak. EO3 had a lot of balance issues.

I went with Eternal Tyrant because I found the fight more difficult and liked the return damage mechanic. Made the fight extremely tense. Heavenbringer does a similar job with its parts.
"Every action has a reaction, don't be quick to judge. You may not know the hardships people don't speak of."
http://www.last.fm/user/cataclysmical

Lasatar
4 weeks ago#7
Desespkmaniaco posted...
Lasatar posted...

Then shouldn't they be the ones who don't count?
Didn't really play EO3, just pondering what difference there's between EO3's iteration of NPC->big boss and EO4's iteration of NPC->big boss.

EOIII has three different endings, each of which has a different final boss. Cursed Prince is never the final boss no matter what you do. Kujura is a different encounter to the Deep Princess, but you don't get a chance to heal up inbetween, so he's more like phase 1 of a 2 phase boss rather than a penultimate boss.

User Info: Blademaster_Aio

Blademaster_Aio
4 weeks ago#8
Yeah, Kujura & the deep princess and Olympia and the King are both final bosses because the credits roll after you beat them, you get the ending and access to the post game.

Anyway, I'll just tell you now it's not the Eternal Tyrant. Putting the actual boss battle aside, it literally came out of nowhere right before the boss room door on Floor 25. I mean, whatever.

I voted for Kujura and the deep princess, because... bias, I suppose. I dislike Olympia and the King way more than I dislike the Armoroad pair, even if they did turn you into a bunch of errand boys/girls/guild for their route. And I also dislike Olympia as a boss. Whatever.

Heaven bringer was okay story wise, and... hm. Well, I like Kujura slightly more than I like Mr. Tree.

As for the overlord, he truly is cheesy and pretty much loud and 'I AM THE OVERLORD!'

But I still think of him as an obnoxious mad scientist.

The eternal tyrant will sit at the bottom of the heap because his story sucks. I like his boss battle, but please. Every other boss had a waaaay better build up, with EO2/2U, 3 and 4 having some of the good ones. And yes, EOU/1 also had a better build up.
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.

Desespkmaniaco
4 weeks ago#9
Blademaster_Aio posted...
The eternal tyrant will sit at the bottom of the heap because his story sucks. I like his boss battle, but please. Every other boss had a waaaay better build up, with EO2/2U, 3 and 4 having some of the good ones. And yes, EOU/1 also had a better build up.

I mean, Etreant HAD a build up. Just the result of it was a bit random.
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: Blademaster_Aio

Blademaster_Aio
4 weeks ago#10
Desespkmaniaco posted...
Blademaster_Aio posted...

I mean, Etreant HAD a build up. Just the result of it was a bit random.

Well Etreant's buildup starts in the 5th stratum, but the loose threads come from way before, in the 4th stratum, when Visil tries to off you by ordering you commit genocide and hoped you died in the process. Though you only discover the reasons why as you explore more and reach the end of the 5th stratum.

In 3, it had a proper plot, and so did 4.

In 2 it's pretty much there from the beginning- the floating castle myth and of course, Guild Esbat and the 3rd stratum.
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Favourite 5th Stratum/Final Boss in the series

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived