Favourite 4th Stratum Boss in the series

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Favourite 4th Stratum Boss in the series

User Info: Lasatar

Lasatar
3 months ago#1
Topic - Results (51 votes)
Iwaopeln (EO1)
7.84% (4 votes)
Iwaoropenelep (EOU)
17.65% (9 votes)
Harpuia (EO2)
0% (0 votes)
Harpuia (EO2U)
9.8% (5 votes)
Kirin (EO3)
1.96% (1 vote)
Shin (EO3)
9.8% (5 votes)
Cradle Guardian (EO4)
5.88% (3 votes)
Crystal Dragon (EO5)
47.06% (24 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Okay, you know what? Screw that boss. I wasted so many precious Nectar IIs trying to bring that thing down it's not funny. Its attacks were just too powerful for being able to spam them every turn, and a party-wide Almighty attack this early in the game really doesn't help. I needed to grind a few levels with the Training Orb and upgrade Magic Shield to prevent the elemental attacks, as well as getting the best defence I could possibly get before I even had a chance of stopping it. It was worth it when it finally collapsed to the ground, though.

TBH though, 4th Stratum bosses aren't really very memorable. The Cradle Guardian had potential, but it wasn't really difficult enough to leave a lasting impression. So, as much as I didn't like the Crystal Dragon, I'm gonna have to give this poll to him, for simply being more interesting than the rest.
Mario Maker profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Lasatar

User Info: Blademaster_Aio

Blademaster_Aio
3 months ago#2
Can I say I hate them all? Because I really do.

We have the stupid bird and its stupid puzzle / FOE barrage, we have the other annoying bird who is... just annoying.

The only real thing memorable about Shin and Kirin were that Olypmia / Kujura unleashed them on you. Otherwise they literally came out of nowhere, pretty much the enemy's pets.

Cradle guardian... I honestly have trouble with it every time. But eh.

I liked the Crystal Dragon. I mean, liked him more than the others. He wasn't that bad, so long as you knew how to avoid clear breath and equipped bat earrings to deal with eternal lament. The dragoon's guard skills are pretty good for this fight.
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.

User Info: Desespkmaniaco

Desespkmaniaco
3 months ago#3
Crystal Dragon because it's the one I could easily nuke.
Loliwood Lovely Log - https://loliwoodguild.wordpress.com/
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: AnnetteSoleil

AnnetteSoleil
3 months ago#4
I dunno, I guess I have to go with Harpuia. It left like zero impression on me. But I suppose that's better than the negative ones I've gotten from everything else (except Cradle Guardian, which is just boring to me).

Admittedly I've only fought the Crystal Dragon once. But it was the only major wall I hit in EO5 (aside from the superbosses), and at the time it left a bad taste in my mouth. I might've just had a bad party matchup.

User Info: leadintea

leadintea
3 months ago#5
AnnetteSoleil posted...
I dunno, I guess I have to go with Harpuia. It left like zero impression on me. But I suppose that's better than the negative ones I've gotten from everything else (except Cradle Guardian, which is just boring to me).

Admittedly I've only fought the Crystal Dragon once. But it was the only major wall I hit in EO5 (aside from the superbosses), and at the time it left a bad taste in my mouth. I might've just had a bad party matchup.

Same for me really, especially with the Crystal Dragon. It's the only boss that has forced me to restart the game from the middle since I didn't want to create a Dragoon or Warlock for the party I had at the time.
Seifer was a tragic character. He's a male feminist. He wanted a heroic story. But instead of finding a princess, he woke up the devouring mother.

User Info: cyanidesky

cyanidesky
3 months ago#6
In my opinion, Crystal Dragon, because it looks like a 4th stratum boss. Like, “We’re near the end of the game. These bastards look strong. Just imagine what is up ahead”.
Harpuia and Iwaopenerep (?) seem somewhat inoffensive. Cradle Guardian serms boring. Shin/Kirin look like they’re 2nd stratum bosses.
I have this stupid logic that “the bigger, the thougher”, fueled by Abyssal God.
Black-bearded Pirate that needs some sweet loving and is staying away from alcohol.

User Info: Mocorongo

Mocorongo
3 months ago#7
No picks.

I simply hate all 4th stratrum bosses, most are forgettable.
Unlike you, I have better things to do, so don't expect quick replies.
3DS FC: 4527-9766-7463 / Switch FC: 0662-5429-5601

User Info: Meta289

Meta289
3 months ago#8
Iwaoropenelep, if only because I have a fond memory of literally making him kill himself with Suicide Word.

"Hey could you kill yourself"

"Oh sure no problem man"
https://i.imgur.com/fw1QFvY.png - Tea time, f***ers.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is the best DS Zelda game.

User Info: AxiniteCrest

AxiniteCrest
3 months ago#9
Crystal Dragon here.
I felt it's more like a boss when I have encounter it.
The attacking style also draws me into voting it <3 you don't see rocket dragon often XD
EU/AUS/NZ 3DS here: FC 1178-0935-5620
We may met in different games as a familiar stranger :D...

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
2 months ago#10
The 4th Stratum Bosses are...really not that relevant, and I find it incredibly strange that I'd say such a thing when the 4th Stratum is usually one that I consider to be a pivotal turning point in the game. The Stratum itself is often designed to represent a stark contrast from the three Strata preceding it, and this is almost always the point where my party setups truly come together.

- With that last bit in mind, that is perhaps the contributing factor in the Bosses not mattering - they don't match what my parties are capable of by the time they are reached, so they end up being disregarded even if they have narrative relevance or are decently designed.

- EOU!Iwaoropenelep is only memorable for the Story Party since EOU!Protector just...isn't that good until you get Bravery's Gift. If you have a Survivalist for Evasion Tanking or a Hexer for shutdown, you're done; Iwaoropenelep just can't do anything.

- Harpuia is one of the most superfluous creatures I've ever encountered in Yggdrasil. I think she was there just to be a jobber to make your Guild look good in the eyes of the Winged Ones. She's supposed to be this great and terrifying threat that has slaughtered some of the best warriors they could offer, and then you just come in and swat her out of the sky as if she were a fly. Why? Because we need to get to the 5th Stratum and she won't kindly move her avian behind out of the way. Get Professor Smoaked, lady. Of all the 4th Stratum Bosses, she's probably the most worthless, and that's considering Kirin and Shin exist. Speaking of...

- Kirin and Shin are kinda just there; they have good designs though, keeping with EOIII's excellent consistency on that front. Their fights are middle of the road; nothing impressive, but nothing offensively egregious either.

- The Cradle Guardian? The game gave you Logre, an Imperial, for free, not even 10 minutes ago; this thing could not possibly matter. Without Logre's presence, this Boss is just a gimmick, albeit one that I find kinda fun.

The Crystal Dragon...I like this one. I love its AI Script, how it'll actually focus down sleeping targets with its Ultra Priority Skill. Plenty of Bosses follow scripts like that in this series, but the Crystal Dragon is the first one, for me, where it feels well-pronounced and properly telegraphed in the gameplay. Puzzling out how you want to deal with Clear Breath was fun and engaging for me, especially with my Chain Party that went all in with Buffs.

- My only real issue with it is the inconsistency concerning Clear Breath's use. The Skill gets introduced to the rotation once it hits 75%, and can only be used while it's in the Dragon Form, but beyond that...when the Skill will be thrown out is up to the whims of fate. The Skill can't be used in Speed Form so people who aren't nuking the Boss can phase control the fight...provided they don't bank everything on Chain Blast. Chain Blast is still good despite the Boss' Head Bind Resistance.

Eh, I'll vote for the Crystal Dragon.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Favourite 4th Stratum Boss in the series

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived