Wait, grave doesn't work when you evade attacks?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Wait, grave doesn't work when you evade attacks?

User Info: SerperiorThanU

SerperiorThanU
4 months ago#1
That makes my phantom duelist+masking miasma+ grave combo useless
Grass Hurricane Master

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
4 months ago#2
You only get the Grave counters if you take damage; I, too, learned this the hard way. It combos well with a Shield Bearer running Dragon Roar and Divide Guard, though.

User Info: Blademaster_Aio

Blademaster_Aio
4 months ago#3
Yep, it doesn't work if you dodge.

It works well with fierce shield though. Or anything that redirects damage to something that can survive hits.
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.

User Info: SerperiorThanU

SerperiorThanU
4 months ago#4
Terron145 posted...
You only get the Grave counters if you take damage; I, too, learned this the hard way. It combos well with a Shield Bearer running Dragon Roar and Divide Guard, though.

Eh, I'm not really keen to the idea of using multiples of the same (base) classes right now, plus in this run I've been making it so that my party is always Earthlain,Earthlain,Therian,Celestian,Brouni.
I do have a shield bearer coincidentally though so I can combo with it during the times my therian Phantom Duelist isn't dodging everything.
Blademaster_Aio posted...
Or anything that redirects damage to something that can survive hits.

Hmm, I'm using a hound master. Maybe I can utilize that with guard command? Unfortunately guard command has a nasty damage multiplier at every level before 10 so that means my hound's going to be dying fast and going to be a massive TP drain. Why is guard command so much worse than fierce shield? Can only guard one person, the damage multiplier is worse, and resummoning a hound is much harder than the many auto wraith skills, as well as summon wraith being a lot cheaper.
Grass Hurricane Master

Blademaster_Aio
4 months ago#5
Because the hound is also much more durable than your squishy ghosts.

And if it was all party target the hound would just die as fast.

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
4 months ago#6
But if you know who to target with Guard Command... you could just target that person with Grave, and spare the hound.

Blademaster_Aio
4 months ago#7
If you only have a dodge thank you can do something strange like have the tank draw aggro, have the hound guard them and use grave on the hound.

But why would you?

Grave just isn't compatible with a dodge tank.

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
4 months ago#8
Blademaster_Aio posted...
If you only have a dodge thank you can do something strange like have the tank draw aggro, have the hound guard them and use grave on the hound.
Assuming Guard Command works the same way as Divide Guard, this won't work to your advantage; you'd be better off just using a Dragoon with Dragon Roar.

- If you have a Phantom Duelist draw in all enemy aggression, but want to cover for the margin of error by using Divide Guard to redirect the attacks that slip through your Evasion, the game won't let you. Instead, Divide Guard will make every attack redirect towards the Dragoon, regardless of if the Fencer was going to get hit or not.

- Using Divide Guard ends up ruining your chance of getting Sylphid procs, and though you get Grave Counters out of the deal, you lose the Phantom's effectiveness as a trade-off.

Blademaster_Aio
4 months ago#9
No, I mean...

The fencer is just working like say, dragon roar thing.

You're definitely better off using dragon roar, but I think TC doesn't have a dragoon.

User Info: Terragent

Terragent
4 months ago#10
Plus that's burning two-to-three actions (you lose out on commands with the Necro and Rover, along with the Hound's ordinary heal, plus you're probably going to want to use Deft Thrust or Predict with the Fencer to get extra aggro) on a single combo that's not even very strong. Even with a second Necro using Wraith Dance the damage is never going to be amazing (plus doing that would mean you have only one character available to do anything on that turn that's not directly connected to the forced-counter setup.

Can Grave trigger counterattacks if it's used on a Blade Master who successfully activates Mirror Moon, or will it only work if the Mirror Moon activation fails? Might be a bit more fun, since you'll get two counterattacks instead of just one.
The person who respects the letter of the law but not the spirit is a person with no justice in their heart.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Wait, grave doesn't work when you evade attacks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived