Is this the best in the Etrian series so far?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Is this the best in the Etrian series so far?

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
4 months ago#51
Terron145 posted...
You are also given Grimoires with Added Effects that increase the likelihood of encountering Rare Breeds; this same Added Effect even boosts the odds of you encountering a Rare Breed FOE upon stepping up onto a floor. Well, I believe it does - I can only operate under confirmation bias with this, as I don't recall seeing anything from the data mine that confirms/denies this claim.
There's a very noticeable difference if you stack 4+ rare breed grimoires on everyone, even without using any rare breed up food. My main method of grinding to 99 has been slaying rare icy bulbs on 26F, with the exp tea and just never leaving the labyrinth until the grinding is done, and those grimoires are the main reason it works. No idea what the numbers are, but at the very least it seems to make those FOEs shiny more often than not.

User Info: shileka

shileka
4 months ago#52
EO1 is the original, unforgiving and hard

EO2 is more of the same with a few fixes to ballance, arguably harder since you can no longer farm minibosses for quick(er) EXP

EO3 added and remade a few things with new classes, sea exploration and subclasses, the class ballance is fair, but subclassing has major ballance issues with some combinations being crazy OP, sea exploration received mixed reviews, it's more of a puzzle on a big map, solid enough IMO but it did lead to a smaller main labyrinth

EO4 is the easiest in the series, it split the labyrinth in smaller dungeons and added an overworld exploreable by skyship, skyship exploration is okay, but lacks random encounters, the food mechanic isn't bad but not stellar

EO5 has excellent class ballance and racial bonuses for some interesting combinations/builds, food system was obviously meant as a more refined cooking system but feels lacking, IMO the best in the series

EOU1 is a remake if the first, due to ballancing changes it's easier, it introduced the grimoire system but they're a bit complicated

EOU2 follows largely the same formulla as EOU1, refine and re-release, the grimoire system has been vastly improved, and makes for (IMO) the second best in the series

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is a wreck mainly due to poor AI of your teammates
Lillie is best waifu
3DS FC 2767-2339-4314 machoke-pancham-hariyama IGN Rebecca

User Info: gba1989

gba1989
4 months ago#53
On the topic of grinding, I find the shiny dinogator convenient to grind in EO2U(once I can access that damn hidden room ofc).

As for grimoires, you can somewhat manipulate what grimoires you can get. The DLC floor was perfect for this.
She played me like a piano - Big Boss, MGS Peacewalker
They played us like a damn fiddle - Kazuhira Miller, MGS Ground Zeroes

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
4 months ago#54
Jaquan1 posted...
Grinding is never fun
Subjective. Monster Hunter is literally all about the grind, yet an entire community of people finds it to be one of the best gaming series they've ever invested time into. I will admit that there is bias coming from me with this one, because I am indeed among the number of that community.

- That said, you never need to grind in Etrian Odyssey unless you're going through the process of [99 > Retire > Level up from 30 to 99]. You only ever need to do this once, and it's not even necessary for clearing the Superboss, which is the only real reason you'd even consider going for the Retire Bonuses in the first place.

- I was speaking entirely from the perspective of grinding to get back the two levels you lose from Resting; this process is so trivial that it's not even worth mentioning, let alone wasting ingredients for either of the EXP Food Buffs.

Jaquan1 posted...
I don't think this stuff works that well. Tried the Pudding food and few of those grimoires (enough not to compromise my builds) but I don't think that it increased too much.
You really shouldn't even need Grimoire Builds for grinding, and even if you do, there is going to be at least one unit in the party who can drop all six of his/her Grimoire Slots in order to stack the Rare Breed effect while losing no efficacy.

- I know this to be true because I've done so over the course of all my 7 runs. Admittedly, I commit to the grind not for the EXP, but for the fact that Rare Breeds drop more of their respective ingredients. Units who can do this consistently include, but are not limited to...Fencer!Landsknecht / Dark Hunter / Sovereign / Troubadour / Medic.

User Info: Enfinete

Enfinete
4 months ago#55
I argue you shouldn’t have to get those 2 levels back in the first place. If you must for whatever reason, just pop picnic and use whatever tools you have to increase it back up. Not like this should be a common occurrence anyway.
"The Story will become Legend...." - From Riviera: The Promised Land

User Info: Jaquan1

Jaquan1
4 months ago#56
Terron145 posted...
Jaquan1 posted...
Grinding is never fun
Subjective. Monster Hunter is literally all about the grind, yet an entire community of people finds it to be one of the best gaming series they've ever invested time into. I will admit that there is bias coming from me with this one because I am indeed among the number of that community.

- That said, you never need to grind in Etrian Odyssey unless you're going through the process of [99 > Retire > Level up from 30 to 99]. You only ever need to do this once, and it's not even necessary for clearing the Superboss, which is the only real reason you'd even consider going for the Retire Bonuses in the first place.

- I was speaking entirely from the perspective of grinding to get back the two levels you lose from Resting; this process is so trivial that it's not even worth mentioning, let alone wasting ingredients for either of the EXP Food Buffs.

Jaquan1 posted...
I don't think this stuff works that well. Tried the Pudding food and few of those grimoires (enough not to compromise my builds) but I don't think that it increased too much.
You really shouldn't even need Grimoire Builds for grinding, and even if you do, there is going to be at least one unit in the party who can drop all six of his/her Grimoire Slots in order to stack the Rare Breed effect while losing no efficacy.

- I know this to be true because I've done so over the course of all my 7 runs. Admittedly, I commit to the grind not for the EXP, but for the fact that Rare Breeds drop more of their respective ingredients. Units who can do this consistently include, but are not limited to...Fencer!Landsknecht / Dark Hunter / Sovereign / Troubadour / Medic.

Then I have to congratulate you. My setup frankly requires those grimoires for a smooth run. Maybe Sovereign but then I'd sacrifice a lot of Buffing potential since I heavily invested into passive options for healing and maintaining the force. To Elaborate:
Protector needs her Grimoires to maintain offensive and boost her tanking capabilities to offset the naturally squishier base as a Landsknecht.
Alchemist utilizes Grimoires to cover her relatively low level with Compression AoE combo and maintain her TP (Force Energy and Legendary Grimoires from Highlander and Alchemist)
War Magus - Three of slots I have are taken by Grimoires focused on Force Generation and self-healing (Absorb, Force Reset, and Limit Break) so she can use her Boost more often in FoE/Boss fights. Other three are taken by Artery and DH Sword skills so she can do something without ailments on.
Survivalist has Grimoires that help her Ailment affliction and widens her repertoire with Insta Death (Red Plasma) and Mind/Vital Shut combo for binds.
Sovereign: Fantasias, Prelude, Boost to Royal Veil and Front Guard in case I expect something hard hitting to aid my Protector in those rarer cases.

I admit I should have rephrased. Grinding in RPG especially turn-based is never fun. And sadly at times, I need to grind. Sometimes I need to train a replacement if my team turned out to be a failure and alter class can't cut it due to incompatibility between base and new class (I dare you to try and alter Sov into Gunner when you decide you need a DPS instead of support and tell me how good it is). Other time I train a new team to test something or simply expand my roster. Or when I simply decide to not limit myself to 5 members. And NO I won't acknowledge God Mode as a valid grinding tool. Honestly, if level 1 character can beat 3rd stratum with 2nd stratum gear by just auto attacking then you know you f***ed up with difficulty balance. What the hell, was wrong with EOU variant?

I too love MH to death (even if I have my worries about World and can't really join the hype train due to that)
All praise the Gargwazios the Almighty.
Stablemaster of the Gargwa - I shall ride them all.. IGN: Kayla FC: Yeah sorry not giving this one away.

User Info: Desespkmaniaco

Desespkmaniaco
4 months ago#57
Jaquan1 posted...
And NO I won't acknowledge God Mode as a valid grinding tool.

It is, whether you acknowledge it or not.
It could be even said that it's the whole purpose of the mode.
Loliwood Lovely Log - https://loliwoodguild.wordpress.com/
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: Enfinete

Enfinete
4 months ago#58
If you are not using something that is easily available for you, you don’t really have right to complain. It is your choice to not use it but don’t blame the game for not giving you tools to level up when it actually does.
"The Story will become Legend...." - From Riviera: The Promised Land

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
4 months ago#59
Jaquan1 posted...
And NO I won't acknowledge God Mode as a valid grinding tool. Honestly, if level 1 character can beat 3rd stratum with 2nd stratum gear by just auto attacking then you know you f***ed up with difficulty balance.
The game is balanced around Expert Difficulty as its baseline; EO2U handles this a lot better than EOU did, because Expert legitimately feels like an unbalanced after-thought in that entry, especially once you hit the 6th Stratum.

In any case, Picnic Mode is fine because it is purposely designed to be "Visual Novel Mode" Yep, I'm using it now, too; thanks originator, whoever you are. Standard is already the game's version of Easy, so you shouldn't need to bump it down any further if you're just grinding, but that's not even the point.

- Picnic is there for when you need to get levels back quickly and efficiently. If you are at the point where you're considering the act of farming enemies and FOEs that you already have gone on the record of consistently defeating, Picnic isn't taking away any sort of arbitrary merit - all it's doing is making an already simple task simpler, by way of letting you clear the task faster than before. Regardless of your willingness to acknowledge it, it is a valid grinding method; it's practically designed to serve that purpose even.

- I find this funny since Picnic doesn't even give you an EXP Boost the way Basic does in EOV. It's really just a glorified fast-forward button.

User Info: Jaquan1

Jaquan1
4 months ago#60
Still doesn't make it feel less wrong for playing it. By gods, they f***ing tripled your offense and defense compared to Standard. EOU one just settled on giving you 33% increase and even then it was very hard to freaking die.

Personally, I wouldn't insult VN with using that name. Dying in one is freaking easier than on EO2U Picnic mode and it's not like the story in EO2U is even close to average VN. Heck, it's on a weaker side even considering just jRPGs. Couldn't even bother to care for characters. And for Pete sake, I could not even make a fudging sense out of what Fafnir should really be. Especially since as certain spoiler character proved they are not even strictly required for the purpose they were made for.
All praise the Gargwazios the Almighty.
Stablemaster of the Gargwa - I shall ride them all.. IGN: Kayla FC: Yeah sorry not giving this one away.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. Is this the best in the Etrian series so far?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived