What's up with that chest in the secret area of Stratum 2?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. What's up with that chest in the secret area of Stratum 2?

User Info: Master Espeon

Master Espeon
3 months ago#11
Can attest to Killing Shot +5 allowing me to "block" the blindside. Although I do agree on that chest being a jerk. I had the bow on when I first hit that chest and still got my party paralyzed/wiped out by the blindside. The second time I went there the bow's skill blocked it though.

User Info: Meta289

Meta289
3 months ago#12
Given that the box was just sitting out in the open with absolutely nothing else in that big room, you should have been tipped off that something was weird with it.
https://i.imgur.com/fw1QFvY.png - Tea time, f***ers.
Turkey Clasp: Made from a wary bird's tail feathers to understand the struggles of turkeydom.

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
3 months ago#13
Meta289 posted...
Given that the box was just sitting out in the open with absolutely nothing else in that big room, you should have been tipped off that something was weird with it.

Love the rationalizing there.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: danmiy12

danmiy12
3 months ago#14
that bow even blocks scripted blindsides..on the one where there were 3 in a row (one that a lot of ppl said was cheap on the 2nd strat) i had killer bow and it blocked all 3 blindsides in a row and it blocked the blindside on that ambush with the squirrels
MH4U :Atom HH main 5.7k uses hr999/Sonata MHGen 3.7k HH uses 3ds FC 4699-8385-62781
my MH OC: http://danmiy12.deviantart.com/art/Sonata-as-a-Palico-670554160

User Info: Desespkmaniaco

Desespkmaniaco
3 months ago#15
Meta289 posted...

I expected to open the chest, get the book, turn around and be forced into a special FOE battle before I could thread out. Not a guaranteed insta-wipe.
Thankfully enough, it happens quite early so it's hard to lose too much progress.
Loliwood Lovely Log - https://loliwoodguild.wordpress.com/
An undub of EOV exists.

User Info: Bakelith

Bakelith
3 months ago#16
Salocool posted...
Meta289 posted...

Well, it's more obvious when you played previous games, sealed door areas usually have that kind of gimmick
3DS FC: 3196-3402-9601
Bravely Default + Second maxed jobs

User Info: BloodTyrant9154

BloodTyrant9154
3 months ago#17
lol I just went there last night, I approached it from the side, still got ambushed. Dark Souls taught me to never trust sketchy chests...

User Info: Cataclysmical

Cataclysmical
3 months ago#18
Meta289 posted...

I didn't trust tge chest but didn't care because I wouldn't lose any real progresd.
Yang Wen-Li is extraordinary, Reinhard von Lohengramm is extraordinary.
http://www.last.fm/user/cataclysmical

User Info: Sandor_Clause

Sandor_Clause
3 months ago#19
Bakelith posted...
Salocool posted...
Meta289 posted...

Well, it's more obvious when you played previous games, sealed door areas usually have that kind of gimmick

None of the earlier EO games had mimics, aside from one specific quest area in one of the Untolds, and those you're giving plenty of warning about and they aren't nearly as dangerous. I expected FOEs to spawn when I opened the chest. I didn't expect to get ambushed and killed with literally no way to prevent it, because you die before you can even act. I didn't expect a mimic because the EO devs seemed to be aware of what a poor design decision they are, when handled the way this one was. There are plenty of ambush events, but they aren't as ridiculous as that encounter. That one event in EO4's last labyrinth (you know the one) comes to mind in the sense that you get ambushed by almost certain death, but the difference is that it's the player that chooses to let it happen and there's a fair warning.

Honestly, ambushes in turn based games is a terrible design choice, because it yanks the control away from the player and can lead to an unavoidable game over if you're unlucky. Challenge is one thing, but taking away the player's ability to prevent a game over from them through pure RNG is just bad. It can work if the enemies aren't dangerous enough to wipe a party or cripple it to the point where coming back isn't a realistic possibility. In EO though, a lot of encounters are easily able to wipe a party in one turn.

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
3 months ago#20
I was thinking along the lines of Sandor_Clause, just too lazy to type it out in the open.

Kudos pal.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. What's up with that chest in the secret area of Stratum 2?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived