• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Battleminer
  3. My first impressions of the game.

User Info: Argh4430

Argh4430
4 years ago#1
This a repost of a post I made on the 3DS board:

I started up the game, chose survival mode, and made my save. Controls are based on a dual stick control scheme. The d-pad and circle pad moves your guy, while the ABXY buttons changes where you look. It takes a bit getting used to. L button places blocks, opens doors, and zooms in while using the crossbow & rifle. The R button uses the item you have equipped (berries, axes, guns, and grenades). The game does not support the circle pad pro, though it would be quite nice if they could patch it in later. The bottom screen acts as your active item slots, backpack, crafting table, setting your viewpoint to eye-level, and a jump button. Your guy automatically climbs up blocks one block high, but only when you are running directly into the block, not at the side or diagonally.

Graphics looks quite nice, like a more refined version of the graphics from Minecraft. The sun & moon are actually spherical. The ores (zinc, iron, and copper) look rather poor in comparison, with just a few oblong shapes in a grey block. Characters look pretty good. The people you save are kind of tall, but have faces painted on, making them look like Lego people. The ants look neat. They come in different varieties, with different actions and attacks. There are different biomes to see, snowy areas, grassy areas, and deserts. I have not found any water or lava.

The only mining tool at your disposal are pickaxes. They come in 3 varieties: wood, stone, and diamond. You start the game with a wooden axe. The axes can break everything, the difference is their speed at mining (maybe), and their durability. You can still punch things to mine, though you can't punch through rocks and stone.

Rather than focusing on the mining aspect, this game pushes the combat. You fight ants, ad your main method of attack are guns. Humorously, the pistol is made of wood and iron, and bullets are zinc and copper. Ammo can be strengthened with materials you collect from ants. Combat is pretty easy, as the targeting reticule turns red when you have it on an ant. Ants move a bit slower than you so far, so you can get away. Night ants spawn at night in your general area 2 at a time, with more spawning once they are killed, though it takes a while. The other ants spawn near the people you need to save. They inflict different amounts of damage. You can only have 5 hearts of health. Eating a berry restores 1 heart, and you can take half heart damage.

Saving the people is your main objective. A compass on the bottom screen leads you the next person you need to save. After dispatching the ants, you can reach the person, who rewards you with knowledge on how to make more stuff, or supplies. Yes, you have to unlock the ability to make more stuff. There isn't a whole lot of stuff to make, just weapons, ammo, and armor. You can make a pistol, crossbow (like a sniper rifle), SMG (machine gun), shotgun, and rifle (stronger sniper rifle). You can even make grenades. It adds a bit of a FPS flair to the game, and makes it unique compared to Minecraft. The guns can destroy any blocks. I only saved 10 people so far, so I don't know how many people to save, or if there is an end.

I did some experimentation. I can dig 9 blocks down, and go 22 blocks up in the air. You cannot take fall damage. It appears to generate the world infinitely, as I ran for a good 20 minutes straight and did not run into an end. Considering how small the game is compared to Minecraft, it could do it fairly easily. 3D effect is alright, not pop-out but more like everything is pushed in, makes it a bit easier to gauge distance away from you. Frame rate drops a bit while in 3D mode, especially in combat with 4 ants onscreen, but runs just fine in 2D mode regardless.

That's everything I can remember. I haven't played with creative mode much yet, it looks like survival mode, but you can use the D-pad to fly. You get 3 saves per mode.
3DS FC: 3695-1354-4936
WHAT THE GEFRO GHALVH

User Info: NeoJ4K3

NeoJ4K3
4 years ago#2
Did you check out creative yet? What kind of decoration items does it have fences, paths etc. Does it have crops to grow? Water? Is there caves to explkre? Anything remotely like redstone?

Argh4430
4 years ago#3
Here's what creative mode let's you place:

rocks, gravel, stone, snow, tree, wooden block, sand, doors, windows, dirt, copper, zinc, iron, diamond block, diamond block (pure diamond), large marble, gold, logs, marble, pavement, stone bricks, stone walls, tiles (roof tiles), red, green, blue, black, and white blocks (like wool), and ant larva (spawns ants close-by).

You can also craft all the items you would normally unlock right off the bat. No fences, but you can make paths and streets. No crops, no water, no redstone. If there are caves, I haven't found them. It looks like the ground is completely filled with blocks.
WHAT THE GEFRO GHALVH

NeoJ4K3
4 years ago#4
Hmm thats a bit of a turn off. How is the game? With oras tomorrow I am not sure if I wanna spend 10 bucks..?

Argh4430
4 years ago#5
I like the game quite a bit so far. It really depends on whether you find the fighting fun, since you'll do a lot of it. You can make some nice structures in creative mode, too. If the trailer doesn't pull you in, you may want to hold off, but I think it's $10 well spent. It's just much more limited than Minecraft in terms of stuff to collect and use. At least this game tries to differentiate itself from Minecraft.
WHAT THE GEFRO GHALVH

NeoJ4K3
4 years ago#6
Is it like repetitave? I havent watched the trailer yet, I did have battlemine z on xbla, but only played it a few times with fri3nds. I wanna build and survive..

User Info: SilverWingedOne

SilverWingedOne
4 years ago#7
Can you make things that do stuff in the creative mode, or just static models?
Some of my favorite memories of Final Fantasy were with Link and his Pikachu.

Argh4430
4 years ago#8
The game is a bit repetitive, and is better played in short sessions. I just unlocked the SMG and Formic Bolts, and not much has changed in terms of strategy.

The stuff you make in creative mode are static. Blocks don't have gravity, and there is no redstone/pressure plate/switch stuff.
WHAT THE GEFRO GHALVH
  1. Boards
  2. Battleminer
  3. My first impressions of the game.
  • Topic Archived