• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. So is Sombra doing her job if she hacks a lot but doesn't get picks?

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
1 year ago#1
I was playing on a team and normally I play Pharah but I went tank because 4 other people went DPS. Eventually, we had only Sombra and a Genji and the Sombra was not getting any picks. I told the guy playing her to switch to a different DPS and he got really mad at me saying that he is doing his job, eventually muting me and complaining that I wasn't contributing and it was my fault we lost. Someone else on the team explained to me that Sombra is a support character, not a real DPS.

So what do you guys think? If a Sombra is hacking a decent amount should I just let it go? I feel that she should at least be getting some picks.
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: The_Pup

The_Pup
1 year ago#2
Sombra fills in as the healer role for mobile comps that can back out of fights to hit hacked health, hacking is her primary tool. Who/what she's hacking is just as important.

If she's getting kills, it's either to secure kills you aren't finishing off or an "accident" when she's trying to fill up her ult faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq66StCq3vw

As a side note: You got muted. Which means you are pretty suspect. Probably because you were spending more time talking s*** than playing... So it sounds like you weren't doing your job properly, if at all.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 year ago#3
What the previous guy said when it comes to Sombra's role.

Also, you need to be incredibly careful about criticising people on voice comms. Making suggestions or requests is fine, but criticising people or flat out telling them what to do, or not letting the matter drop if you make your advice and it isn't followed usually isn't going to make anyone play better and negativity can potentially damage team morale or result in teammates tilting.

You'll win more if you try to be the person making positive suggestions and pulling the team together than if you criticise or blame people and risk dividing the team, even if criticism is merited.
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.

User Info: CopShowGuy

CopShowGuy
1 year ago#4
Was your team getting kills as a result of her hacking? If not, one of two things were happening:
1. Sombra was too deep hacking people your team couldn't possibly reach.
2. Your team wasn't capitalizing on the hacked targets.

Sombra really isn't a DPS character. Her gun can do a good bit of damage but not as much as the other attack classes. She's more of a support/attack hybrid. Hopefully that Sombra player was using some sort of communication.
GET AGAINST THE TREE!!!
~ The Sage of Shadow ~

User Info: Squall28

Squall28
1 year ago#5
She's not a character who prioritizes getting kills, but she should still help with damage and kills. Her gun isn't great, but it's not as bad as people say it is.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

sajt007
1 year ago#6
I wasn't trying to be negative at first. I was trying to suggest we needed more damage and that our sombra should switch because I didn't see any impact she was having as the other team was steam rolling us. It's when he started blaming me for not contributing despite that I went Winston to counter their Genji. Our other dps was a Genji so we had a damage deficit.

That was the first time I've been muted too to my knowledge. The next game the Sombra player was on the other team and my team won.

I understand that people have their mains but just because it's your main character doesn't make it the right character for every situation.

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
1 year ago#7
The_Pup posted...
As a side note: You got muted. Which means you are pretty suspect. Probably because you were spending more time talking s*** than playing... So it sounds like you weren't doing your job properly, if at all.

I definitely agree with this part. Also, thanks for sharing that vid. I've been curious to try Sombra out a bit lately, so this will help.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: Darkelflord

Darkelflord
1 year ago#8
If sombra is hacking their Rein for example it doesn't matter if she gets kills, the rest of your team should be murdering them without her help.
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see" -Some very wise guy.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 year ago#9
sajt007 posted...
I was playing on a team and normally I play Pharah but I went tank because 4 other people went DPS. Eventually, we had only Sombra and a Genji and the Sombra was not getting any picks. I told the guy playing her to switch to a different DPS and he got really mad at me saying that he is doing his job, eventually muting me and complaining that I wasn't contributing and it was my fault we lost. Someone else on the team explained to me that Sombra is a support character, not a real DPS.

So what do you guys think? If a Sombra is hacking a decent amount should I just let it go? I feel that she should at least be getting some picks.

Sombra fills a role that no other hero really does - I call her a disruptor, or "anti-support." She can get picks - typically on squishy characters - but that isn't really her main focus. She is indeed designed to hack key enemies, break up their team composition, and just continuously harass their back line as a flanker. If she can single out and eliminate healers, that goes a long way toward doing her job too. She's *excellent* at eliminating Mercy, because she can stop Mercy's escape and make her a sitting duck.

However, there's more to it than just hacking random enemies willy-nilly. You need to prioritize targets, and you really won't be very effective unless you coordinate with your team, telling them when and who you're going to hack so they're ready to capitalize on it. If you're not making callouts and coordinating with the rest of your team, you're doing a pretty crappy job as Sombra no matter how much hacking you do. Hell, even when you eliminate their healer from the back line, you should call it out so your team knows the enemy has no support for a little bit.

It kind of sounds like the Sombra player knew the basic concept - he's right that Sombra isn't really a primary damage dealer, and she shouldn't be ranked as a DPS - "offense" != DPS. Your team's problem was that you apparently had no DPS characters. Genji has one of the lowest DPS of any hero in the game, and is made for flanking. Sombra is a flanking disruptor. You had no damage dealers. That was your problem, not the fact that Sombra wasn't playing correctly.

You didn't mention the other three heroes - who were they and what were they doing? You seem intent on blaming the Sombra, who sounds like she was at least half doing her job... what were the other three players up to who you don't mention at all?
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

sajt007
1 year ago#10
I can't remember the rest. I think it was an Ana and a Lucio. Can't remember the other tank at all.

I agree that our team's problem was no damage dealers, but at least I saw Genji on the kill feed. Also for having 2 flankers, our team wasn't getting any kills in the backline.

And even if Sombra was somewhat doing her job, it wasn't helping because we were getting destroyed. The point I was trying to make to him was that we needed more damage so he should switch off Sombra. He then refused to and spent the rest of the match complaining about me after he muted me saying Sombra is a great hero and I'm the one not being a team player.

Just because someone muted me doesn't mean that person is immediately right.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. So is Sombra doing her job if she hacks a lot but doesn't get picks?
  • Topic Archived