• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Is gold or platinum the average rank?

User Info: BootLoxes

BootLoxes
4 years ago#1
This is my first season. I started playing it about 4 days ago. Currently in plat and want to know how I stand against the average player.
7700K 4.5GHZ | RTX 3070 | 16 GB RAM 3000MHZ | Samsung Evo 1TB | Asus Z170 A-R | M1 Macbook Air 8gb/512gb

User Info: Squall28

Squall28
4 years ago#2
Low Plat, high gold is average but there's a ton of variation in there. One 2500 player could wreck your whole team while another one is free kills for you.
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.
-Misattributed to CS Lewis

User Info: BootLoxes

BootLoxes
4 years ago#3
Oh. Im not trying to go pro but i was hoping i was at least above average. Guess i need to reach diamond then.
7700K 4.5GHZ | RTX 3070 | 16 GB RAM 3000MHZ | Samsung Evo 1TB | Asus Z170 A-R | M1 Macbook Air 8gb/512gb

User Info: BlameAnesthesia

BlameAnesthesia
4 years ago#4
I think it's gold. Plat is technically above average, but not by much.

Also as mentioned above, there's a significant amount of variation between gold-plat.

It's better to consider a player to have a "range" of skill. Their skill isn't their rank (e.g., 2500). They have a skill ceiling and a skill floor. On their best games, they may perform at, say, a 2700. At their absolutely worst, they're performing around a 2100.

A way to interpret that is that when they tilt, they tilt pretty hard. They may not tilt often however, so they still hover closer to 2700 than 2100.

At any given game, there's no guarantee they will play at a 2500.

So this is why you might join a game in plat, and everyone seems to be performing at a gold level, and vice versa.
PGY-3. Anesthesiology.

User Info: hitokiri13

hitokiri13
4 years ago#5
I thought its inflated. To me it's 3000 for triple queue or under.

For 6-team vs another its 2800. It's way hard than solo and duo queue with friends since both sides require 100% communication.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. - Hannibal

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
4 years ago#6
I dunno. I played with my friend who is high plat (i was high gold until a string of losses) and the teams were all plat except me yet I still saw all the dumb things I saw in silver: "pro hanzos", torb or widow on attack with no effect, bad comps, no character switching. It seems like placement is just a matter of luck of getting the right teammates to win because I have no idea how some of these players are so much higher than me.
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: MogKnightAzure

MogKnightAzure
4 years ago#7
I had someone in platinum (but was at only 2300 rating at the time) use his gold medals to back his complaints about his team - which is always nonsense but in this case he played Zarya and we got rolled hard so all of his stats were super low anyway. Played attack widow and then complained we were running attack sym. All of this done unironically.

And Ive been stomped by far superior players still unranked or stuck in gold. The matchmaking just isnt sharpened enough right now honestly.

Dont get me started on people who take some superior complex high ground about team voice chat and throw the game when you refuse to use it. Absolute f***ing cancer and they come in all ranks too. Just play and get over it. Fun comes first. Im not saying voice chat doesnt help but in all 3 seasons its never made the difference and odds are pretty good I dont want to talk to most strangers anyway. I use voice chat with my friends and thats good enough for us.

User Info: RiderAce

RiderAce
4 years ago#8
It's pretty likely that mid gold was the top of the bell curve in Season 2 (people around that range typically moved less than 100 SR in either direction after S3 placements). They flattened the curve, but the top is still probably around mid to high gold.

User Info: radical rhino

radical rhino
4 years ago#9
No one really knows; only Blizzard has the stats for how many players are in each rank.
.____
[____]===0 . . . . Ye olde beating stick.

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
4 years ago#10
RiderAce posted...
It's pretty likely that mid gold was the top of the bell curve in Season 2 (people around that range typically moved less than 100 SR in either direction after S3 placements). They flattened the curve, but the top is still probably around mid to high gold.

Yep this sounds about right. You have to keep in mind that boards like this / Reddit / Discord, etc. likely oversample for better, more serious players.

There's a large chunk of super casual players hanging in silver and bronze who play an average of 2-3 hours per week, lose interest in the game for a month, jump back, etc.

Now, if you established some threshold like, "what's the average for people who play 10+ hours per week and post on Overwatch forums?", we're probably looking at Plat.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Is gold or platinum the average rank?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A