Why do games put in gay?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Why do games put in gay?

User Info: The_Pup

The_Pup
1 year ago#11
There was an era of mankind called the 80s... Gay dudes... Lots of meth... This thing called AIDS... Yeah. Made homosexuality really popular with the conservative demographics.

I don't think Blizzard wants to be catering to the gay male demographic when it could be juicing the straight male demographic with lesbians.

User Info: The_Pup

The_Pup
1 year ago#12
Adenzia posted...

Right? I want to see Soldier and Reaper kiss.

Does Reaper even have lips anymore?

User Info: Adenzia

Adenzia
1 year ago#13
The_Pup posted...
There was an era of mankind called the 80s... Gay dudes... Lots of meth... This thing called AIDS... Yeah. Made homosexuality really popular with the conservative demographics.

I don't think Blizzard wants to be catering to the gay male demographic when it could be juicing the straight male demographic with lesbians.

Wow. As if gay men created AIDS and meth?
Queen of Gamefaqs
"But your dad just calls me, 'Katya'."

User Info: Angel_XBlaze

Angel_XBlaze
1 year ago#14
Some games have gay male characters. Borderlands 2 had quite a few. I'm sure they'll some gay male characters in this game as well eventually.

I just wish that developers didn't feel a need to appeal to those who are gay or transsexual. We honestly don't need to know their sexuality...
BBCP Main: Terumi/Azrael Sub: Hazama/Kagura
"So, as I pray...Unlimited Blade Works."

User Info: KarlKrou

KarlKrou
1 year ago#15
Pandering.

User Info: stonio99

stonio99
1 year ago#16
It's the new thing. All TV shows and video games had to put in zombies for awhile, like it was an unwritten requirement. We had to endure. Now we get to endure this new garbage trend, even though it adds nothing to the quality of TV/video games. Just the new thing to do...
I think it's about a Marine the day he leaves his wife and head out to be in the Navy.
~ Anonymous poster on the meaning of Kangaroo Cry by Blue October

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 year ago#17
KarlKrou posted...
Pandering.

If including characters of a particular gender/sexuality is pandering then 99.9% of games pander to straight white guys almost exclusively.

Things are improving lately, but for years black/female/non-white protagonists have been the rare exception rather than the rule in video games, to the point that people have come to expect it and throw a hissy fit when anyone else gets even a little representation, even if that representation is just one character (so far) in a cast of over twenty heroes.

Overwatch already includes characters of different races and genders, is having one or two of different sexualities really beyond the pale?
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.

User Info: AAngelMichael

AAngelMichael
1 year ago#18
Because most gamers are men and lesbians are more appealing to them. It's all about money and pleasing their demographic.
"Way past cool!" - Sonic the Hedgehog

User Info: Kiyosuki_Mk2

Kiyosuki_Mk2
1 year ago#19
Honestly that's a really good question.

The ugly truth probably lies in female/female relationships being easier for certain minds to accept, and thus being seen as a "safer" depiction, because it lies within the realm of being feminine for some people and thus, it's easier to fit it into more how shall we say..."traditional" mental narratives? Whereas male/male, especially if they're characters that aren't super stereotyped, is more at odds with traditional views of masculinity.

I mean, there's probably much more to it. There's people who do entire studies and essays about subjects like this so I can't really hope to do it much justice here, but long story short I think it comes down to female female being safer and more "expected" because there's an overarching notion coming from more traditional views that homosexuality in general is effeminate in nature, so male/male is considered riskier. Especially in something like gaming culture.

To be honest, while I think it's pretty cool what they did with Tracer here, it is kind of playing it safe to an extent.

User Info: Chielz0r

Chielz0r
1 year ago#20
There already is a gay male.
Lucio obviously
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Why do games put in gay?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived