Why are people so sensitive about "toxicity" in this game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Why are people so sensitive about "toxicity" in this game?

User Info: PerrySport

PerrySport
1 year ago#51
Only insecure people with no self esteem and who spend the most of the 24 hours in a day playing videogames and get actual erections by looking at their stats do that. They beat you in a videogame, you beat them in life.
It is what it is

User Info: C0c0nuttz

C0c0nuttz
1 year ago#52
KillerTruffle posted...
C0c0nuttz posted...
gatorattack05 posted...
Trash talk is one thing.

Telling someone to kill yourself, or that they are going to murder your children and that you are a piece of worthless s*** who deserves to die just because you picked a Sombra?

Yeah kinda toxic

So? It's just words on a screen. Just tell them that their mother never loved them or mute them and move on.

As if anyone needed evidence of how a community devolves into utter s***. You have proven exactly the concept we've explained we want to *prevent*. We do NOT want everyone acting like that. It totally ruins any fun in the game. Go back to LOL if you absolutely must insist on being a dick.

How exactly do blockable words on a screen ruin your fun? If some neckbeard tells me to kill myself over a video game I tell him to eat s*** and move on with my day. It doesn't bring me down at all.
Make way for the lulz

User Info: prettyprincess

prettyprincess
1 year ago#53
it's almost like people want to interact normally in this multiplayer game instead of blocking others
And in an infinite regress, tell me, why is the pain of birth lighter borne than the pain of death?
http://www.last.fm/user/followthegospel

User Info: Kiyosuki_Mk2

Kiyosuki_Mk2
1 year ago#54
There's a world of difference between trash talk and toxicity.

I have no problem with trash talk I grew up playing fighting games in arcades. The thing is that pure trash talk is actually kind of rare, it's mostly vile s*** that would get you punched in real life.

But it's the way of this maladjusted generation. I just quietly block if it gets too bad and move on. No point in getting too riled up about it on an individual basis.

User Info: HeightOfHubris

HeightOfHubris
1 year ago#55
C0c0nuttz posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
C0c0nuttz posted...
gatorattack05 posted...
Trash talk is one thing.

Telling someone to kill yourself, or that they are going to murder your children and that you are a piece of worthless s*** who deserves to die just because you picked a Sombra?

Yeah kinda toxic

So? It's just words on a screen. Just tell them that their mother never loved them or mute them and move on.

As if anyone needed evidence of how a community devolves into utter s***. You have proven exactly the concept we've explained we want to *prevent*. We do NOT want everyone acting like that. It totally ruins any fun in the game. Go back to LOL if you absolutely must insist on being a dick.

How exactly do blockable words on a screen ruin your fun? If some neckbeard tells me to kill myself over a video game I tell him to eat s*** and move on with my day. It doesn't bring me down at all.

Well, your feelings don't dictate everyone else's. If there's this many people telling you they don't want it happening, then maybe it bothers others?

User Info: C0c0nuttz

C0c0nuttz
1 year ago#56
HeightOfHubris posted...
C0c0nuttz posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
C0c0nuttz posted...
gatorattack05 posted...
Trash talk is one thing.

Yeah kinda toxic

Well, your feelings don't dictate everyone else's. If there's this many people telling you they don't want it happening, then maybe it bothers others?

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out why, because it's truly not harmful in any way whatsoever. It seems like people are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.
Make way for the lulz

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 year ago#57
C0c0nuttz posted...
Yeah I'm just trying to figure out why, because it's truly not harmful in any way whatsoever. It seems like people are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.

Gee, it's almost like we want the game we enjoy to have a pleasant and friendly community and enjoy it more when that happens than when random idiots are trash talking or screaming obscenities just because they know they can get away with it.

It's not acceptable to slag off random strangers in real life, so why is it any more acceptable online?
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.

User Info: HeightOfHubris

HeightOfHubris
1 year ago#58
C0c0nuttz posted...

Most people don't like verbal abuse, you're the outlier in this equation. Just shrug your shoulders and move on.

User Info: Bottler0cket

Bottler0cket
1 year ago#59
MajinUltima posted...
Because they're the same bad players from League of Legends especially, who are SO coddled by that terrible enabling environment that they're going to do the same in every game from now on.

ANY criticism, ANY light trash talking, ANYthing really that can be blocked with 1 button press and is entirely on them to stop opting in to it willingly... is going to be whined about and they're going to demand that digital mommy go punish the bullies for them.

Meanwhile, ain't no system to punish them for intentionally choosing bad matchups all game long, feeding all game long, and refusing to change tactics or characters all game long. That's the REAL "toxicity".

It's "toxic" to tell someone to stop idiotically picking Sombra (at all), Tracer into a set up Torbjorn on Hanamura, Genji on defense, etc... but it's apparently not "toxic" for them to half-ass it and not try at all and keeping feeding and being unproductive all game long. (Keep in mind that my examples here are people making choices like these AND doing badly AND refusing to change.)

Yeah, I think I'd rather have a bit of harsh BLOCKABLE text than deal with some obnoxious spamming whining baddie handicapping my match. Because I can block text. I can't block your willful badness.

You take this video game way too seriously. I bet you're terrible at it too, that's why you get so angry.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 year ago#60
What's especially strange is that all these toxic players somehow think that being a jackass will accomplish ANYTHING in making the other person play better. The one guy literally said so.

MogKnightAzure posted...
Its meant to pressure you to do better.

Exactly how well has that actually worked out so far, eh? If you say anything other than "it's made absolutely zero improvement in how well the other players perform," I'll say you're 100% full of s***, delusional, or both. A guy named Bob out in the middle of the ocean with no arms and no legs has enough fingers and toes to count how many times being an a****** to someone actually makes them improve.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Why are people so sensitive about "toxicity" in this game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived