• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  3. Outside of visuals, what didn't you like about the remake?

User Info: AdmantCrow

AdmantCrow
3 months ago#1
I started placing through this properly for the first time beside my partner who played the original version decades ago. She doesn't have any huge problems with the remake, but feels a little weird about how much they 'streamlined' it, and give you more hints to completing side quests then in the N64 version. I haven't really noticed this, outside of the Bombers giving you prompts for what you could be doing, though I do feel they give too many hints at time.

So I was just kind of curious what kind of gripes you guys might have with the remake, outside of aesthetic and graphical changes, of course.

User Info: Rimmer_Dall

Rimmer_Dall
3 months ago#2
I had plenty of problems with it, but the only problem that was unforgiveable was the way they ruined the movement of Deku and Zora Link.

User Info: Scraps

Scraps
3 months ago#3
The inverted timeflow being faster is a change that most immediately comes to mind.

I prefer its speed in the original game. It makes it easier to invest yourself in the environment and characters of each area without feeling like you're wasting precious time; in the remake, I spend a few minutes running aimlessly around Clock Town only to find out a few hours have gone by in-game.

And with the way they reworked the Song of Double Time, I don't understand why they had to make inverted time go faster. If there's something a player is waiting for, they can just skip right to it if they're too bored to let the clock run down.

Also not a fan of the boss battles being reworked, and I don't think they work as well with the time-based playstyle. Unlike in the original, having to refight them again is a colossal pain, and it makes the Fierce Deity's Mask feel largely useless as a reward.
This posting is made in full compliance with the GameFAQs Terms and Conditions. The poster politely asks all moderators to please LEAVE HER ALONE.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: xlr_big-coop

xlr_big-coop
2 months ago#4
I hated how oot kept some of it's glitches because they wanted to "stay faithful to the game", yet mm gets the pencil and eraser. All bosses had their identity sacrificed to hell and back, game was simplified to appeal to people who didn't even liked the original. Hell I'd argue the whole thing wasn't made for the fans but rather those who never cared.

Didn't like the animations, how they screwed over deku and zora link, how they moved the bank or the stone mask guy, etc. I know there's patches that alleviate some of my complaints but all in all I'm just bitter that Nintendo didn't have faith in mm. They never understood what made the game great and why the fans liked it, and it shows.
:)

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
2 months ago#5
Hm, the only thing that I had a very strong dislike for was the Twinmold fight in this game as opposed to the original. The whole fight just seemed really weird or possibly buggy... I mean, you grow into giant small Link and then wrestle with worms and scream while you pose to show off your not-muscles. I am guessing this was supposed to be funny, but uh...didn't do anything for me personally.

So yeah; I just fought Twinmold 3D yesterday. The blue Twinmold went down fairly easily as expected of a boss being punched by an overgrown child, but the red one was invincible for...some reason before then. This red one though...what the heck man. Not sure if I was just doing something wrong (I sure hope I was at this point) but I fisticuffed with this thing for over 20 minutes alone. No matter how many times I would punch it, it would just flee into the background, run around and spit fire at me, make children to nip at my toes, or run back and forth where I would attack it possibly around 20 times before it fled again...it just would not fall down and allow me to Bowser toss it most of the time, and yet eventually and seemingly randomly, it would?

By the end of this boss fight, I had about...2 minutes left before the moon destroyed all life as we know it, and I was...well dang, I was visibly annoyed and ready for break time or possibly hold off playing game for another year time (I actually finished it later that day). To be frank, the only good part about that boss (IMO) is when you don't have to fight it anymore.

Also I think they messed with Zora Link because I remember him being a lot more fun to use underwater in the original.
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Arbalist

Arbalist
1 month ago#6
@Meteordragon10 The thing about the new Twinmold fight is that the red one has some very weird mechanics damage-wise. You first need to punch it several times until it falls down, where you can start to damage it with either the choking or swinging-by-the-tail animation. The thing is, once the red Twinmold dives back into the sand its 'hit' counter resets.

So basically need to punch it several times BEFORE it dives back into the ground, otherwise you'll never be able to properly damage it. It is a very obtuse mechanic, both because it LOOKS like your punches do have an effect and because Giant Link has pretty sluggish controls.

I get how the wanted to spice up the fight a bit but this really spoiled it, IMO.
Eating an entire clock is very time-consuming.

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
1 month ago#7
Arbalist posted...
@Meteordragon10 The thing about the new Twinmold fight is that the red one has some very weird mechanics damage-wise. You first need to punch it several times until it falls down, where you can start to damage it with either the choking or swinging-by-the-tail animation. The thing is, once the red Twinmold dives back into the sand its 'hit' counter resets.

So basically need to punch it several times BEFORE it dives back into the ground, otherwise you'll never be able to properly damage it. It is a very obtuse mechanic, both because it LOOKS like your punches do have an effect and because Giant Link has pretty sluggish controls.

I get how the wanted to spice up the fight a bit but this really spoiled it, IMO.
Didn't think I'd actually get a response back from anyone. Doing a quick google search indicates you need to either hit it 10 times total, do three combos, or hit it with one giant rock to stun it before it burrows and the hit counter resets. I think I threw the rocks at the Blue Twinmold by mistake (not that there was anyway for me to know not to?), which might've been why it was so easy...but as for the latter two options, I'm fairly certain I had both hit it more than 10 times AND did at least three combos multiple times over, only for the worm to still burrow.

I'm still convinced this fight was buggy on me to be honest and "maybe" I should give it another go to confirm, but eh...kinda like that dare I did as a kid where I mixed kool-aid in with top ramen and drank some of it before being disgusted, currently I feel like once...was enough for me.

I'm sure I'm just repeating the same old stuff other people used to say a long time ago, but yeah; they really shouldn't have changed the mechanics this much...or at the very least they should've gone about it a much different way.
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  3. Outside of visuals, what didn't you like about the remake?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A