• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Styx: Master of Shadows
  3. So, how long did it take before YOU deleted it? (PS+ freebie)

User Info: Ghastlycocoon

Ghastlycocoon
6 years ago#21
i still haven't deleted it.

the thing that is kind of weird is that the game came out for 30 dollars late last year and it's already in PS plus free games. It's like they thought it wasn't worth keeping at that price

User Info: Red_Jester

Red_Jester
6 years ago#22
The problem with the game is that it's too easy in the beginning and when the difficulty starts to spike hours in, you often forget to use your abilities. Turning invisible and distracting guards with clones makes you able to get past anything.

Level 4 in particular is freaking insane. There are literally 4-5 guards in almost every single room or platform. I'll have to see if it keeps up with this enemy placement.

Also, you HAVE to use the manual saves. The checkpoints are not frequent. As for the gameplay, it's just not like more modern stealth games where they either double as action games where you can shoot your way out of anything or they give you so many abilities to escape trouble that it's way too easy. (Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Dishonored come to mind) This game doesn't let you fight your way out of everything and there are no crazy escape or teleport abilities. It is tough just like stealth games used to be because it is strictly a stealth game.

It won't appeal to a mainstream audience, which is why the above two mentioned games allow you to do a mission however you see fit. Do they have more gameplay variety because of their combat systems and gadgets/magic? Sure, but I don't think it's a negative that a game specializes in stealth only.

Anyways, the Styx isn't amazing and it feels decidedly old, but it does have some really awesome parts. The level design in particular is some of the best I've seen in a stealth game.
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.

User Info: Red_Jester

Red_Jester
6 years ago#23
Okay, so I just found out that you can whistle to attract guards attention... on the second to last level. The game just became insanely easy now that I can lure single guards to a cover takedown one by one. You can do it with your clone, too.

I could almost swear that they never taught that in any tutorial. It doesn't even show up in the UI like literally every other action or item you can do.

I still really like the game and it's Cyanide's best game by a mile, but they've got a lot more work to do on the introduction of their games. Once you've used all of the abilities enough to understand them, there's virtually nothing that can get in your way, but you don't really know the best way to use them like clones until you've experimented on your own which could be hours in when you hit a tough spot. Same with the climbing mechanics. I can climb anything without fail, but like most people when they start playing this game, climbing is a nightmare at first. They could have done a lot more to teach you what you can and can't do with climbing.
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.

User Info: Mexoga

Mexoga
6 years ago#24
Red_Jester posted...
Okay, so I just found out that you can whistle to attract guards attention... on the second to last level. The game just became insanely easy now that I can lure single guards to a cover takedown one by one. You can do it with your clone, too.

How do I whistle?
Edit: Never mind, found out. Hold the down button on the D-pad.
I don't give a damn what people say about me... all of the jokes that the cool kids used to make about me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qd6UJn4QI

User Info: KevinKarnage

KevinKarnage
6 years ago#25
Mexoga posted...
Red_Jester posted...

How do I whistle?
Edit: Never mind, found out. Hold the down button on the D-pad.

Works great on bugs too! I like to be pretty much the only living thing left when I am done with the level :) I sometimes let some folks live if they are not in an area I find I need to get to, just sometimes though, I usually go out of my way to take them out!

Mexoga
6 years ago#26
Dude, the bugs are so freaking creepy and annoying. That level where they introduce them to you has (what I think is) the relic on a table next to, maybe, three of them sitting with another one quickly moving about.

That relic was SUCH a pain in the arse to get. My stomach had butterflies creeping around those things. I even made the mistake of crawling under a table and getting face-to-face with one. Made my skin crawl.

This is seriously an under-rated game, and I pity the fool who doesn't attempt to master it.
I don't give a damn what people say about me... all of the jokes that the cool kids used to make about me.

User Info: Taishi Ci CCR

Taishi Ci CCR
6 years ago#27
Mexoga posted...
That relic was SUCH a pain in the arse to get. My stomach had butterflies creeping around those things. I even made the mistake of crawling under a table and getting face-to-face with one. Made my skin crawl.

This is seriously an under-rated game, and I pity the fool who doesn't attempt to master it.

In that room, go to the right and find a level, make a clone, take the clone to the left room and make noise by pressing down on the D-Pad the roaches will attack, control yourself when the come in, pull the level, the door shut behind them and they burn. Grab Relic, end mission.

Roaches don't count against Mercy insignia if you kill them, only Humanoid targets. They do, however, void Shadow insignia if they find you and go on Alert.

Otherwise, strictly avoid them. As for your last line... I'm one Trophy away from Platinum. :)
Which dystopia do you want to live in? Huxley or Orwell? - AtmosOmega
You guys on this board can be a little biased...

User Info: ChrisBot2k5

ChrisBot2k5
6 years ago#28
You guys complaining about load times should try The Witcher 3. 3 minute reloads upon death, mmmm.

Mexoga
6 years ago#29
Taishi Ci CCR posted...
Mexoga posted...

In that room, go to the right and find a level, make a clone, take the clone to the left room and make noise by pressing down on the D-Pad the roaches will attack, control yourself when the come in, pull the level, the door shut behind them and they burn. Grab Relic, end mission.

Roaches don't count against Mercy insignia if you kill them, only Humanoid targets. They do, however, void Shadow insignia if they find you and go on Alert.

Otherwise, strictly avoid them. As for your last line... I'm one Trophy away from Platinum. :)

Thanks for that tip! It will certainly help me in my re-run of that level.
  1. Boards
  2. Styx: Master of Shadows
  3. So, how long did it take before YOU deleted it? (PS+ freebie)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A