• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
  3. Playing the first PS1 game and... Man, the difficulty.

User Info: ChibiGoku 302

ChibiGoku 302
3 years ago#1
Decided before I go any further in the 3DS game, to kinda go back and play through the original games on Playstation. Although the PSP release is available, given what I heard about it, figured it'd make sense to go with the original Playstation version. Also, I'm posting this here because the other boards are... quite frankly, dead.

So far, I've been enjoying the story, but... The difficulty is... kinda unfair at times. I've died only a couple times, but whenever I go into a new area, there's generally a huge difficulty spike. To make matters worse, there's a number of enemies that can instantly kill one of your party members (I just got through the Haunted Ship and you have no idea how many times I had to use Dragon's Tear because of the freaking Soul Eaters.). Although maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've noticed the attacks have had a high chance of connecting, making my character unfairly die. There's even an enemy outside of Godrif that will knock your characters out of the battle completely, so you can't even revive them.

But, beyond that, I've been overall enjoying the crap out of it. Still in Chapter 2
Sonikku X!!

User Info: HaruBells

HaruBells
3 years ago#2
Are you playing a physical copy of the original game, or emulating it?
I ask because I'm seriously loving Return, and really want to look into more of the story. Problem is, I have no idea where to find the manga to read, I have a PS Vita, not a PSP, and none of the old games appear to be available on the Playstation Store.

Honestly, if I were to play, I wouldn't really have much choice but to emulate it, but I tend to have a hard time dedicating myself to emulations. sigh

User Info: ChibiGoku 302

ChibiGoku 302
3 years ago#3
HaruBells posted...
Are you playing a physical copy of the original game, or emulating it?
I ask because I'm seriously loving Return, and really want to look into more of the story. Problem is, I have no idea where to find the manga to read, I have a PS Vita, not a PSP, and none of the old games appear to be available on the Playstation Store.

Honestly, if I were to play, I wouldn't really have much choice but to emulate it, but I tend to have a hard time dedicating myself to emulations. sigh

Although I do own the actual game, I'm playing it on an emulator, simply because my PS2 or PS3 cannot play Japanese Playstation games (later only being able to do digital imports). I recently also got the second game, as well. The game is pretty cheap if you know where you're looking. Another alternative is to get a Japanese PSN account and buy the games on there, which I believe all three PS1 games are available for 600yen each. (PopoRogue, though, is more of a side story and does feature "Randomized" dungeons. Think the Mysterious Dungeons series) You can buy Japanese PSN cards digitally from Play Asia. I think there might be some other outlets for that, as well, but that's one option.

As for the PSP version, I want to warn if you ever look into it, I wanna warn you that the game has a number of alterations from the first and second game. Apparently from what I have heard the first game is heavily condensed and removes a lot of story elements. Second game made it more intact on the disc, however.

I want to warn that outside of the PSP release, none of the older games have translations. I've been playing Popolocrois Monogatari with what Japanese I do know (and using the image capture feature of Google Translate for the readings of some Kanji if I can't figure out how to read something). Either way, I think you'd enjoy it.
Sonikku X!!
  1. Boards
  2. Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
  3. Playing the first PS1 game and... Man, the difficulty.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers

Where can I find Sootstone? Side Quest1 Answer
About Skill Levels? Build1 Answer
Where do I find Dragon scale & comet platinum? Side Quest3 Answers
Where can I find Motherstone? Side Quest3 Answers
Where do I get cream stew? Side Quest1 Answer