• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
  3. Do i need to play previous Ys games before playing this?

User Info: bongchi

bongchi
3 years ago#1
Interested in playing this, but do i need to understand the plot of previous games before starting on this?
Bongchi

User Info: KefkaesqueXIII

KefkaesqueXIII
3 years ago#2
Short Answer: No.

Expanded Answer: The Ys series is by and large episodic in nature. Each game is a self contained story that generally follows the template of "Globetrotting adventurer Adol arrives in new place and gets wrapped up in local hubbub".

Some games will make subtle (and not-so-subtle) nods/shout-outs to previous/future adventures (release order is not chronological), but none of that will ever be plot relevant. In the worst case you might encounter a character or two from a previous game that makes it obvious that they have a history with Adol, but never really goes into specifics about it as said specifics don't really matter to the current situation they're in.

The only semi-exceptions to this are Ys II, which follows directly after the end of Ys I (which is why they're always sold as a set now), and Ys Origin, which eschews Adol to tell a story set a couple hundred years in the past (prequel to Ys I&II, but still doesn't require any series pre-knowledge).
"My faith protects me. My kevlar helps." - Michael Carpenter, Knight of the Cross

User Info: Hommedaction

Hommedaction
3 years ago#3
Doesn't Origin heavily spoil I and II though?

Haven't played those yet, I'm waiting for a remade version.
I love the French for their sarcasm, their irony. I love them for their bad moods. -Marjane Satrapi

User Info: rpggamer29

rpggamer29
3 years ago#4
No. I started here and liked it so much I started playing the older ones.

User Info: KefkaesqueXIII

KefkaesqueXIII
3 years ago#5
Hommedaction posted...

Eh, I guess it spoils the true identity of a couple characters and the reveal of some background info, but that's about it.

Honestly, the way the story is presented in Ys I&2 always felt more like a series of things that happened rather than engrossing me within it (which may be showing my relative youth, given the games are a couple years older than I am). I did like how they went out of their way to try and make every NPC unique though.

Regardless, TCs question was about needing to play previous games to understand this one, and the answer is that the only game in this series that requires you play a previous game is the one that's now only sold bundled with said game.

(Also, good luck with your wait. Given the Chronicles release that came out the same year as Seven, Falcom doesn't seem to have much intrest in remakeing those two the way it has 3 and 4).
"My faith protects me. My kevlar helps." - Michael Carpenter, Knight of the Cross

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
3 years ago#6
Hommedaction posted...

I and II have been remade multiple times. Another remake won't change much about them. They will still have bumper car combat. You're going to be waiting forever if that's your main gripe with them.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  1. Boards
  2. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
  3. Do i need to play previous Ys games before playing this?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A