• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
  3. The 2000 Dead or Alive 2 Dreamcast/PS2 situation was odd

User Info: Shad0wg00n

Shad0wg00n
5 years ago#1
Sorry, but the DOA2 board is dead and I figure someone might be interested, did a little research.

The PlayStation 2 was more powerful than the Sega Dreamcast but the Dreamcast port of DOA2 regularly outperformed the jaggy, colourless PS2 ones, none moreso than the rushed March 2000 Japanese launch port.

Itagaki explained that the first PS2 release of Dead or Alive 2 (which only came out in Japan; the one at the US PS2 launch, DOA2 Hardcore, was a remake) was unfinished, and sent to manufacturing under false pretenses. A manager approached him and asked to borrow a copy of the in-progress game to play it. "Instead," he said, "it was taken into a factory for production on that day without me knowing it." The team only had two and a half months to work on it. "To be sure, the company made a huge profit."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/09/itagakis-depression-fueled-armageddon-aerosmith-bender/

This is why the Dreamcast version of DOA2 is so superior especially to the original PS2 version. The game was first of all developed on Sega NAOMI arcade hardware which is designed to scale down to Dreamcast. While we don't know how long the Dreamcast port took the console was already known for its ease of development but this was basically designed for Dreamcast already, as Sega was a very arcade-focused company then and so everything built on NAOMI scaled down beautifully.

On the other hand the team had only 2 1/2 months to work on the initial port to the esoteric PlayStation 2 hardware to make March 2000 Japanese launch.

The Dreamcast version released around the same time in North America instead, in February 2000. Japan got that version in September. Probably made the most sense since the Dreamcast did best in North America and 5 months after 9/9/99 sounds like a good time to release, but it did result in this bizarre situation:

Unfortunately, Japanese Dreamcast owners have been getting the short end of the stick. While the American market got funky with Kasumi and friends on their US DCs, the Nippon was stuck with a jaggy-laden, four-month port on the PS2. Before the advent of the Gameshark and its lockout-busting features, Japanese game stores were actually selling DoA2/US Dreamcast combo packages for $350USD. But patience is a virtua, and dammit, Tokyoites have finally got their own rev of DoA2.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/10/11/dead-or-alive-2-japanese-version
Respectful noob of Dark Aether and NoFunAllowed
(message deleted)

User Info: sumK1D

sumK1D
5 years ago#3
I owned both consoles during that time (still have that Dreamcast). There was something special about Dreamcast games that the PS2 just couldn't replicate.

Almost every DC game felt like a classic. PS2 was mostly shovelware for the longest time.
Limited Edition systems
Vanilla PS4 | Final Fantasy XIII Lightning PS3 | Hatsune Miku PSV | Advanced Warfare Xbox One

User Info: Shad0wg00n

Shad0wg00n
5 years ago#4
sumK1D posted...
I owned both consoles during that time (still have that Dreamcast). There was something special about Dreamcast games that the PS2 just couldn't replicate.

Almost every DC game felt like a classic. PS2 was mostly shovelware for the longest time.

I'd say 2001 was pretty good for PS2 already, thanks to five big games in particular, though Twisted Metal Black really hasn't aged well.

Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 2: Guns of the Patriots
Grand Theft Auto III
Twisted Metal Black
Silent Hill 2

All exclusive at first, though Silent Hill 2 was no longer exclusive by a month later and GTA III by May 2002.

Dreamcast though had a plethora of great software from launch until it died in the West. Wasn't all ground-up releases though, some of that was quick Sega NAOMI ports like DOA2 was, or Daytona USA 2001 from Sega for example (one of the explosion of releases after they pulled the plug), and some of that was superior versions of N64/PS1 games, but yeah, it was pretty special.

There were so many games in so little time that nobody even remembers Propeller Arena which was cancelled shortly after 9/11 because of a course taking place in a city I guess. Could have been another good Sega AM2 game. Then Microsoft paid for the Dreamcast Shenmue II version not to be released in North America D:

PS2 sold on promise I guess and I think Itagaki's early experience with the PS2 affected the business decision to go with Xbox and Xbox 360 while he was there, lol. He wanted the best graphics anyways and that was Xbox at the time.
Respectful noob of Dark Aether and NoFunAllowed

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
5 years ago#5
PS2 had a pretty good launch title list actually. Definitely one of the better ones in gaming ut not saying much since most are horrible. That's lot of big names there and Tekken Tag in particular was huge for me. Then in 2001 it got the big name games brought up above and then more. PS2 paid for itself very quickly given that it had quality from the start, it got big games quickly after its beginning year which didn't let up until the following generation came, plus it was a VERY affordable DVD player which was a game changer at the time unlike blu-ray on PS3.

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.

User Info: Yomigaeru

Yomigaeru
5 years ago#6
I remember people saying that the PS2 version of Grandia II was also inferior to the Dreamcast one.

For the record, I was going to get the Dreamcast version of DOA2...but Babbages pulled their usual s*** of having the game listed at one price on the shelf and then have it ring up at a higher price at the register. Sale associate wouldn't budge on that extra $15, so I just went on my way.

It was the last time I ever went into Babbages, and a few months later I got a PS2 for Christmas (and eventually got DOA2 Hardcore).
How about a sign that just says "DON'T"? You could hit people with it.
Official Deviant of the SSB4WiiU Boards

User Info: Leifang2000

Leifang2000
5 years ago#7
I remember there was a save file hack, that you can load up the US DC version and get a Japanese version opening.
---(|^_^|) T'ai Chi Quan is Awesome!!! (/^_^\) ----

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
5 years ago#8
PS2 Grandia was a HORRIBLE port. I can understand PS1 having low ram given how it came to exist but how Sony managed to low stock the ram for PS2 and PS3 is beyond me. Not being able to run fighting games at least close to arcade perfect when it should have been able to run them better given its power otherwise was a joke.
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.

User Info: TheDuskwalker

TheDuskwalker
5 years ago#9
http://i.imgur.com/nO9Movi.jpg

A comparison, although downscaled giving the DC version a bit more of a graphical advantage than it really did.

For the record, I was going to get the Dreamcast version of DOA2...but Babbages pulled their usual s*** of having the game listed at one price on the shelf and then have it ring up at a higher price at the register. Sale associate wouldn't budge on that extra $15, so I just went on my way.

It was the last time I ever went into Babbages, and a few months later I got a PS2 for Christmas (and eventually got DOA2 Hardcore).

Assuming you got the US version, in the end getting the PS2 version was the better call. DC may have had the better graphics, although DOA2 Hardcore cutscenes ran at 60FPS unlike (Dreamcast was only 30), but DOA2: Hardcore gave you more costumes, more stages (I think it was 8), and most importantly, Bayman and Tengu as unlockables. Also had the sexy gallery. XD
TTT2: Lili/Jaycee/Anna/Asuka; BBCPE: Noel/Mu-12; KOFXIII: Mai/Leona/Elisabeth
DSR: Morrigan; DOA5LR: Kasumi/Momiji/Sarah/Helena/Nyotengu; USF4: Juri/Chun/Cammy

User Info: Inyofase

Inyofase
5 years ago#10
I have the Dreamcast version. <3
  1. Boards
  2. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
  3. The 2000 Dead or Alive 2 Dreamcast/PS2 situation was odd
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A