• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. With Scramble being a sequel.. it ruins Royal right?

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
2 months ago#21
Mikokiri posted...
Clearly made to be a love interest that fulfils some sort of power fantasy (red flags in this case: Dismisses the rumours because plot, you can hit on her in Rank 2 and unlike Ann, it's just as bad in context, gets a Persona, only close to one character...)
I can see where the wish-fulfillment/power fantasy complaint can come from, though I feel like it's ultimately a fairly empty one. The flirting comes off as more desperately man-slut-y on Joker's part to me, so honestly, the only awkward part is that she doesn't get fed up and reject him outright after it keeps happening repeatedly. But since it's only one option, and not even the option you're encouraged to take, typically, it reminds me more of people who in the vanilla games, pick all the troll answers for Akechi and then complain that he's a weak character.

The only real weakness in the game's writing is allowing the player to make it weak, essentially.

As I understood Kasumi, she went to a therapist and chose an unhealthy coping mechanism that was freely offered to her. Or at least, that's how I interpreted what happened.
This bit is factually incorrect. At least at first. She had no idea what he did to her. When the truth comes out, she does retreat back to wanting to be changed again, but the issue stems from the fact that she was never given the help she needed in the first place, instead of being treated as a lab rat by the villain.

Also, the Phantom Thieves question their morals and actions multiple times throughout the base story. The Depths are meant to be the wake-up call for them and show them what their view of rebellion and aid to the little guys has done. They question wether sending them back was better in the long run or not and eventually decide to destroy the Metaverse, as they no longer wish to decide the fate of others, and only the people themselves can enact change in their lives, and it would end up better that wat.
Nothing ever really comes of it, though. They hem and haw a lot, but the villains are so cartoonishly evil, and you never see the real world effects of their actions, even "they get sent back into Mementos" is a vague and wholly supernatural result. Similarly, the very fact that they have to "destroy Mementos" to enable people to change is exactly why the original ending didn't work. It's putting a supernatural limitation on a real problem.

Also I apologise to everyone else for engaging in a heated discussion that is somewhat disjointed from the main topic and takes up a lot of space.
Well, on this part, I can probably safely say I agree!
My typical rule is to limit myself to three responses anyway, but since you kinda changed gears to making points in semi-good faith after the first couple, I felt like I owed you more. But I think I should prolly bow out at this point, 'cause we're taking a hell of a tangent.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. With Scramble being a sequel.. it ruins Royal right?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A