• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. With Scramble being a sequel.. it ruins Royal right?

User Info: lemon_love01

lemon_love01
2 months ago#1
Why buy Royal if Scramble is a sequel to the original game? The other problem is that Scramble comes after Royal too..

Can anyone change my mind? I’m mostly afraid that I’ll love Royal and it’s new additions like Kasumi, but that might kill Scramble for me since it’ll lack on many things added to Royal.

P.S. I used this board since it’s the most active.
To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
2 months ago#2
I played Royal, and it did sorta reduce my interest in Scramble, but that's because certain themes and elements near the end of Royal sorta soured me on the idea of any further "sequels". It has less to do with the additions characters and more just sorta the message, but saying more is probably getting too spoilery, so I'm gonna kinda leave it at that.

That said, I've been less interested in Scramble than Royal, comparatively speaking, even since before Royal was released, and before the infamous comment from Sega woman (I don't know her name) that Scramble is the sequel to "P5, not P5R". I'll also note that the two probably end similarly enough that it doesn't matter which you play, and that that was the sentiment of the claim...that you will not fail to understand some aspect of Scramble just because you didn't play Royal, not that Scramble will somehow contradict Royal.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.

User Info: Flare_Wolf

Flare_Wolf
2 months ago#3
lemon_love01 posted...
Why buy Royal if Scramble is a sequel to the original game? The other problem is that Scramble comes after Royal too..
ATLUS has made a lot of questionable decisions as of now, you could maybe rewrite a novel or two using just the dumb things they do.

User Info: Chaosmark101

Chaosmark101
2 months ago#4
lemon_love01 posted...
Why buy Royal if Scramble is a sequel to the original game?

Because Royal is the definitive version and a JRPG instead of a musou game.
"The funny thing about Karma... It goes round and round... and in the end, it comes back to bite you." ~ Roland, Digital Devil Saga 2

User Info: lemon_love01

lemon_love01
2 months ago#5
Interesting, thanks for the feed back especially @JLazarillo 🙏🏼😊
To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

User Info: Mikokiri

Mikokiri
2 months ago#6
Well, I've watched a Royal Playthrough. Not only did the repeated story sections kinda feel boring, but even the few new events felt...wrong. Like they weren't meant to be there, like I was looking into an alternate timeline rather than extented story.
Trying not to spoil here, but the after-christmas stuff doesn't stick to the theme of P5, and makes it feel more like a P6 scrapped plot concept that they wanted to do something with, which leads me to the whole 'Alternate Universe P5' feel. It doesn't feel like it extends the story in any meaningful way, whereas Scramble looks like it will do just that.

Note: I was equally hyped for both Scramble and Royal before I dug myself into spoiler territory for Royal. And I might try to see if I can get a Japanese copy of Scramble to play it early just to see the gameplay. With Royal, I was never going to cave in and get a Japanese copy early because it's the same gameplay and I need to understand the new stuff. With Scramble, I just wanna play it for a new experience. In that sense, Scramble can kind of ruin Royal as well: Scramble is a new experience, even to P5 veterans. Royal is a slog for Veterans because all veterans want to see is the new story points and confidants.
GameFAQs is great because no one bothers to check my anime profile pic to invalidate my argument.

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
2 months ago#7
Royal seems pretty bad from what i heard.
is Mayonnaise a Jojo reference too?

User Info: JesseH21

JesseH21
2 months ago#8
Eh, atlus likes to use the "multiverse" theory with the smt and persona games. I would say that royal is technically an alternate timeline than the original, which would easily keep both being canon, and allow one to have a sequel and the other not.

User Info: Sentinel07

Sentinel07
2 months ago#9
I think I can be content with Scramble ignoring Royal.

Royal honestly doesn't really do anything interesting with its characters (if anything it backpedals on some of them), and Kasumi is even more intrusive than Marie was.

User Info: Mikokiri

Mikokiri
2 months ago#10
Sentinel07 posted...
I think I can be content with Scramble ignoring Royal.

Royal honestly doesn't really do anything interesting with its characters (if anything it backpedals on some of them), and Kasumi is even more intrusive than Marie was.
Oh yeah I know the horror. They f***ing Threw Ryuji in the trash in terms of his character and goals. Ann also got it pretty bad in the same area, and everyone is split on how they handled Akechi.
GameFAQs is great because no one bothers to check my anime profile pic to invalidate my argument.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. With Scramble being a sequel.. it ruins Royal right?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A