You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Question about the use of honorifics in the game

User Info: Defender31415

Defender31415
1 week ago#1
So from what I could tell, the use of honorifics works as follows:

-san: General title of respect for males or females

-chan: Title of respect for a female of equal age to or younger than the speaker

-Senpai: title of respect for older students used by younger students

-kun: title of respect used by an older individual for a younger individual, or used to emphasize a person’s youth

Those are the most common ones at least, from what I can tell. If all of that’s right, then why does Haru refer to Mona/Morgana as “chan” when Morgana is clearly male? Everyone else calls Morgana “he” though no one calls him “-san.”
--- LG Nuzlocke Team: Percy (Blastoise), Sora (Pidgeot), Xena (Primeape), La-Z-Boy (Snorlax), Caitlin (Kadabra), Astrapos (Raichu)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
1 week ago#2
"-chan" is a diminutive. It tends to indicate familiarity, or can be patronizing. Haru refers to Morgana as "Mona-chan" because he's a cute li'l animal.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

Defender31415
1 week ago#3
JLazarillo posted...
"-chan" is a diminutive. It tends to indicate familiarity, or can be patronizing. Haru refers to Morgana as "Mona-chan" because he's a cute li'l animal.

I stand corrected then. Most of the uses of that honorific I have seen were in reference to girls, so I initially had the impression that it was out of place when used for Morgana. Now I see that it fits well. Thanks!
--- LG Nuzlocke Team: Percy (Blastoise), Sora (Pidgeot), Xena (Primeape), La-Z-Boy (Snorlax), Caitlin (Kadabra), Astrapos (Raichu)

User Info: DeathSoul2000

DeathSoul2000
1 week ago#4
l'm pretty a lot of characters don't use honorifics correctly in the dub anyway and are just there for Japandering.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#5
Actually, as I understand it "-chan" is more of an affectionate form of address, usually for females but occasionally males, notably Bunchiki and Mitsuko from P3 address the player as "-chan."
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: DylanYoshi

DylanYoshi
1 week ago#6
https://imgtc.ws/i/ZByFbR4.png
Honorific descriptions from Persona 4's manual. -chan as stated before is used to denote cutesyness as well, even if the character isn't male. For instance, the Japanese word for cat is "neko" but if you wanted to affectionately refer to a cat you would say "neko-chan". It would be the equivalent to calling a cat "kitty" in English.

Defender31415
1 week ago#7
DylanYoshi posted...
https://imgtc.ws/i/ZByFbR4.png
Honorific descriptions from Persona 4's manual. -chan as stated before is used to denote cutesyness as well, even if the character isn't male. For instance, the Japanese word for cat is "neko" but if you wanted to affectionately refer to a cat you would say "neko-chan". It would be the equivalent to calling a cat "kitty" in English.

That’s a useful screenshot! Thanks.

User Info: Kingdom080500

Kingdom080500
6 days ago#8
DeathSoul2000 posted...
l'm pretty a lot of characters don't use honorifics correctly in the dub anyway and are just there for Japandering.

No they're there because we're playing as Japanese characters living in Japan.
Not changing this sig until Gravity Rush 3 gets announced. Don't throw away an IP with so much potential, Sony!

Defender31415
6 days ago#9
Kingdom080500 posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

No they're there because we're playing as Japanese characters living in Japan.

In which case correct usage would be expected. Incorrect usage would seem strange, unless the translators messed up.

User Info: jonas66

jonas66
6 days ago#10
They’re direct translations for the most part and are generally used correctly in their social settings. When incorrect, they are purposefully incorrect, usually for laughs or to show a degree of deviance, like when Ryuji calls Makoto Mako-chan.

It’s a thing to call “cute” boys “chan” and have them hate it because it makes them seem like little kids. Morgana similarly as a cat, kind of like when Futaba plays with his ears and cheeks.
How much of rational behavior is only rational when rationalized?
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Question about the use of honorifics in the game