You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. how dark do you want your persona games

User Info: DetectiveZ

DetectiveZ
6 days ago#1
well how dark?

pick your poison

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
6 days ago#2
Second option by a light year. There's too much GrimDark as it is; I play games to escape that kind of thing, however temporarily. If I want dark and depressing I'll watch the news.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Nynz

Nynz
6 days ago#3
Something between Persona 3 and 5 focusing on an older cast would be nice, I think.
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory. - Byakuya Kuchiki
PSN: Nynzy

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
6 days ago#4
Point the first, Persona 3 is not really that dark. People who think Persona 3 is dark just because it centers around themes of life and death have really missed the point of Persona 3.

Point the second, I don't really want games that are as dark as Persona 3 is perceived to be, either.

Point the third, I'm not sure that I'd call Persona 5 that much darker than Persona 4 anyway.

Point the fourth, I voted for Persona 5-levels anyway.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

User Info: Karnage4208238

Karnage4208238
6 days ago#5
4 if i want smt i will play smt this series works best imo in a 4 like setting 3s setting really does not work for this kind of game imo
Cletus Kasady/Carnage Is The Greatest Villain Of All Time
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine

User Info: 031Exuberant

031Exuberant
6 days ago#6
Darker than SMT fam!
I'm not waiting centuries for people to get woke!

User Info: Mudonis

Mudonis
6 days ago#7
1Tekkaman posted...
There's too much GrimDark as it is; I play games to escape that kind of thing, however temporarily. If I want dark and depressing I'll watch the news.

This.
Don't forget me!!!

User Info: redjoekido

redjoekido
6 days ago#8
I prefer tense dark but with so much upbeatness. I don't like games that gets way too dark or way too goofy. I like balance.
Rabbits

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
6 days ago#9
Persona 5 is a nice balance. I don't want games to go as dark as persona 1-3 too often, or as light as persona 4 too often.

Point the first, Persona 3 is not really that dark. People who think Persona 3 is dark just because it centers around themes of life and death have really missed the point of Persona 3.

Point the second, I don't really want games that are as dark as Persona 3 is perceived to be, either.

Point the third, I'm not sure that I'd call Persona 5 that much darker than Persona 4 anyway.

Of course Persona 3 is dark. All the main characters lives are painted in death and tragedy. Just because one of the major story beats is them accepting and moving past that doesn't mean the game isn't dark.

I also don't understand anyone that thinks P4 and P5 are anywhere close in tone.
Common sense is just wisdom with its sleeves rolled up
P4/P4D dark I guess, it lulls you with the happy times and then next thing you know a child dies or a child witnesses a gruesome suicide by hanging. Of course when it finally goes into true dark territory, it doesn't come back out for happy fun times for a good long while (they gotta overcome whatever it is before they can even think about it), that or it's another lull before another gut punch.

That being said, P3/5 didn't feel overall all that dark, P5 had a dark opening, but it was basically P4D's tbh, and P4D was arguably darker (tho muuuuuuuuuuch shorter), after that P5's pretty....meh. I think it's cause P3/5 evoked more apathy trying to act like it's dark/"surprise you" all the time (when they aren't in the middle of a Palace arc, P5 is trying to act like P4 so hard....which is probs why some might put them on a similar level). While P4, which had a lot of light moments, took it's opportunities at certain times. Not saying it's better because of that, but it's just different. It's not cause P4 is "light" it just handles how it does it's dark topics differently. Life isn't always dark nor is it always light, there's a balance......which is kind of what P4 is (tho this is also coming from someone who doesn't think a good number of Persona games are "darker" than the other, they all have a balance, but I guess P4's light just stands out more than the rest of the series' light).
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. how dark do you want your persona games