You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. So...is Persona 5 Royal gonna split up the Persona fanbase?

User Info: Switchee

Switchee
1 month ago#81
Nah, it won’t split anything up. While I definitely think they could’ve just dlc’d the new stuff in, I’m personally very excited. I’m honestly looking forward to seeing if the new stuff is gonna be mostly flashy or actually make substantial. P4G is my favorite game of all time and since the guys who directed it are working on this, I’m pretty optimistic.

If anything, it’s bringing folks together. I’ve basically ranted and raved about how much P5 pissed me off to my Persona-friends but now that I’ve decided to replay it in preparation, I’ve pretty much had a lot more fun this time around. The only problems I have nowadays is with Haru being locked so late in the game and with how they pronounce Japanese last names slightly worse than they did 9 years ago lol.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: omegafire18

omegafire18
1 month ago#82
Switchee posted...
and with how they pronounce Japanese last names slightly worse than they did 9 years ago lol.

Well, Atlus Japan insisted that they sound 'more Americian' for P5's dub, resulting in the changed pronunciations in the first place, so it wasn't them spontaneously getting worse but a deliberate decision... allegedly anyway :P
If I post about something, it's because I ultimately like it - flaws tend not to personally matter after initial acceptance, if still acknowledged in general.

User Info: BurningVigor

BurningVigor
1 month ago#83
omegafire18 posted...
Switchee posted...
and with how they pronounce Japanese last names slightly worse than they did 9 years ago lol.

Well, Atlus Japan insisted that they sound 'more Americian' for P5's dub, resulting in the changed pronunciations in the first place, so it wasn't them spontaneously getting worse but a deliberate decision... allegedly anyway :P

Man it's like they can't decide one way or the other.

The fact that use honorifics but don't want to pronounce things to sound Japanese. Hell they also took out some honorifics also and changed quite a bit of the dialogue as well.

The localization team is pretty meh.

User Info: Switchee

Switchee
1 month ago#84
I heard the explanation that Atlus JP wanted it that way but it just doesn’t make sense. They did it pretty darn well in 4 and 3 and those were at the height of bad dubs of games. Now, Atlus wants to make them sound “more American” in what is probably the most distinctly Japan-centered game they’ve ever made. Really dinks your donk.

But it’s a minor thing. The dub is stellar regardless.

User Info: Avalon64

Avalon64
1 month ago#85
it's probably they just wanted to try something different with the dubbing direction, things like that happen
Can you taste The Angel's extraordinary skill?- Angel
Humanity alone possesses a God The power to transcend the now the inner God called possibility - Banagher
Hopefully not

User Info: BBQTV

BBQTV
3 weeks ago#87
Royal wont split the fanbase. all of the "negativity" has mainly been from the trolls

User Info: kollie89

kollie89
3 weeks ago#88
Avalon64 posted...
it's probably they just wanted to try something different with the dubbing direction, things like that happen

Honestly pronouncing character names wrong isn’t inherently a problem with me eyes. It’s kinda natural to not always know how to pronounce someone’s last name. Kids and teachers alike in high school f*** up how to say students names all the time lol.

Not pronouncing things like city was quite an interesting choice though. It’s overall a weird idea, but it didn’t ruin the game by any means for me
https://m.imgur.com/a/kF9tE
https://m.imgur.com/a/VmlFu

User Info: OosontheLoose

OosontheLoose
3 weeks ago#89
The Persona fan base is already split: those who like the old Persona JRPGs and new fans who like the high school sims.
NOW PLAYING: Valkyria Chronicles 4

User Info: MagicalRanger

MagicalRanger
3 weeks ago#90
OosontheLoose posted...
The Persona fan base is already split: those who like the old Persona JRPGs and new fans who like the high school sims.

Aren't the old fans' a bit minor compared to the fans who like the high school sim?
When science and magic cross paths, a story is born
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. So...is Persona 5 Royal gonna split up the Persona fanbase?