You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. New to P5 - Overall Early Game Strategy

User Info: mjodotcom

mjodotcom
3 weeks ago#1
Hey All,

7 hours into this game and digging it so far! I have a few general questions as I start to work through the first palace:

Should I generally try to collect as many personas as I can, both new types and repeat types, to merge later and get more powerful ones?

If not capturing, is it best to just kill shadows or does it pay off to hit weak points to get items or money more?

Are there any particular skills I should work on early game that have the biggest payoff? I am seeing how precious time is :)

Is working a job worth it or is it better to do the palace for money and xp?

Should I buy weapons and items from the shop, or do you find better things dungeon crawling?

Do most people just let your party members auto attack, or do you control everyone’s moves?

That’s all I got so far - any other newbie advice would be appreciated!

User Info: Chimeramanexe

Chimeramanexe
3 weeks ago#2
Definitely try to recruit everything you can and discard them after if you don't have any use for them-- recruiting them makes all their stats show up for them as enemies, making it easier to strategize during fights. In the first two dungeons, worry about being able to hit fire/ice/wind/lightning weaknesses, and then expand to the other 4 weaknesses starting in the 3rd dungeon. If you manage to snag the Treasure Demon in the 2nd Palace (the story will give you a chance, use your gun), this will become vastly easier to manage. Always be looking towards fusing the newest personas, the XP they get will not allow them to keep up with the group if you stubbornly stick with a single one for a long time.

Once you have a demon, negotiating for money can help out early game, but there are better options later. Working jobs for money is a sucker's game: Only do them for purposes of boosting your social stats or the Mementos sidequests you can get for them around mid-game. Edit: Absolutely knock down and extort enemies that are too high level to recruit, like the Archangels in the first Palace. Their higher level makes them worth more money, and makes them more dangerous-- an AOA probably won't kill them.

Weapons affect only the power of your normal attacks and All-Out-Attacks, they won't affect the physical techniques of personas like Ryuji's Headbutt and such. They shouldn't be a major priority, and if you can get stuff with bonus stats, it can actually be superior to weapons with higher base attack power. Armor is good, but don't splurge too much. Superior armor drops can be found, but they're random, and often in locked chests (and you don't want to spend too many nights crafting keys). Better to make it so that most enemies don't get a chance to hit you at all (see below).

You always want to control your party members, and have them knock down enemies that they can to help take pressure off Joker's SP and ammo supplies. Once you've got Baton Passing down for all party members, you can easily chain together attacks such that the enemy never gets a chance to move-- it's part of the bragging theme music for combat!

Get Dr. Takemi's (Death) confidant rank up to 5 ASAP, preferably rank 7, so you can buy an accessory that lets the wearer recover SP every round. It costs a massive 100,000 yen, but at rank 7 her prices get slashed in half. A must-have for Joker, and pretty useful for everyone else. You also want to have a spare 100,000 for after you beat the 3rd Palace to do the quest series that unlocks the Fortune confidant, as she is super-mega useful for a variety of purposes.

If you want to have an easier time, there's an infinite money trick that you can begin after the 1st Palace is done. Some people like having the option, others feel it makes the game too easy. I feel that with all the uses of money in the game, it makes things just right, and doesn't really unbalance it (due to the lesser factor of weapons and armor I mentioned). If you want to know it, ask, but if you'd prefer to do without it, I won't spoil you.
FC: 1263-6375-4172
IGN: Nate (in most games)
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
3 weeks ago#3
mjodotcom posted...
Should I generally try to collect as many personas as I can, both new types and repeat types, to merge later and get more powerful ones?

Definitely recruit every Shadow you come across at least once. Once you have them the first time, not only will it automatically reveal all of that Shadow's strengths and weaknesses for the rest of the game (and in any NG+ files, for that matter), but you can save them to your Persona compendium and re-obtain them any time, albeit for a nominal fee, so unless you're low on cash, you probably won't want or need to "re"-recruit them very often.

If not capturing, is it best to just kill shadows or does it pay off to hit weak points to get items or money more?

It's always best to finish a battle with a Hold-up, just for efficiency's sake if nothing else. If you have a large number of downed enemies, finishing with an All-Out Attack is preferable to maximize XP. If you extort enemies for money, you'll only get XP for the enemy you extorted...all the others you knocked down give no rewards at all. That said, if you were only fighting one enemy in the first place, or you significantly out-level the enemies you're fighting (meaning very little XP rewarded, due to scaling), then it's better to demand cash. Demanding items is almost always a waste. You get useless stuff a good 90% of the time.

Are there any particular skills I should work on early game that have the biggest payoff? I am seeing how precious time is :)

Buffs and debuffs work wonders on bosses in Persona games, and often end up overlooked, so make sure you've got -kaja and -nda spells to go around, and in order to help with Hold-ups (as discussed above), make sure Joker can at least cover any magic elements that your active party members cannot.

On the Confidant side, Death to rank 7 is super useful, and can be started very early. At rank 7, you can buy accessories from her that will restore a small amount of SP every turn, vastly increasing the amount of time you can stay in Palaces. The Fortune and Temperance Confidants are also massive time savers, the former at rank 7, the latter almost immediately, but especially when maxed out. Plus, if you max 'em, some of those bonuses will carry over to NG+.

Is working a job worth it or is it better to do the palace for money and xp?

Part-time jobs are a giant time-sink. You'll have to do a few to complete certain side-quests, but outside of that, there's almost always something better you could be doing with your time.

Should I buy weapons and items from the shop, or do you find better things dungeon crawling?

First off, never buy guns. You can pretty much go through to the end of the game, and the actual stats of your gun will never matter. The primary use of those weapons is hitting gun-based weaknesses, and those get hit whether the gun does 1000 points of damage, or only 1.

Melee weapons and armor is a little more in the air. The former mostly only boost your basic attacks (which you won't use much), but also boost All-Out Attack damage, which is a little more helpful. AoAs are pretty hefty on their own, though, so if money's tight, you can skimp a bit. Armor's about the same. The protective value is certainly handy, but if you're playing the way you're "meant" to, in most fights, enemies shouldn't be getting a chance to act at all.

Do most people just let your party members auto attack, or do you control everyone’s moves?

Direct control. Always. Unless you're trying to train yourself to go back to Persona 3 FES, there's no reason to let the AI run wild.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

mjodotcom
3 weeks ago#4
Chimeramanexe posted...
Definitely try to recruit everything you can and discard them after if you don't have any use for them-- recruiting them makes all their stats show up for them as enemies, making it easier to strategize during fights. In the first two dungeons, worry about being able to hit fire/ice/wind/lightning weaknesses, and then expand to the other 4 weaknesses starting in the 3rd dungeon. If you manage to snag the Treasure Demon in the 2nd Palace (the story will give you a chance, use your gun), this will become vastly easier to manage. Always be looking towards fusing the newest personas, the XP they get will not allow them to keep up with the group if you stubbornly stick with a single one for a long time.

Once you have a demon, negotiating for money can help out early game, but there are better options later. Working jobs for money is a sucker's game: Only do them for purposes of boosting your social stats or the Mementos sidequests you can get for them around mid-game. Edit: Absolutely knock down and extort enemies that are too high level to recruit, like the Archangels in the first Palace. Their higher level makes them worth more money, and makes them more dangerous-- an AOA probably won't kill them.

Weapons affect only the power of your normal attacks and All-Out-Attacks, they won't affect the physical techniques of personas like Ryuji's Headbutt and such. They shouldn't be a major priority, and if you can get stuff with bonus stats, it can actually be superior to weapons with higher base attack power. Armor is good, but don't splurge too much. Superior armor drops can be found, but they're random, and often in locked chests (and you don't want to spend too many nights crafting keys). Better to make it so that most enemies don't get a chance to hit you at all (see below).

You always want to control your party members, and have them knock down enemies that they can to help take pressure off Joker's SP and ammo supplies. Once you've got Baton Passing down for all party members, you can easily chain together attacks such that the enemy never gets a chance to move-- it's part of the bragging theme music for

If you want to have an easier time, there's an infinite money trick that you can begin after the 1st Palace is done. Some people like having the option, others feel it makes the game too easy. I feel that with all the uses of money in the game, it makes things just right, and doesn't really unbalance it (due to the lesser factor of weapons and armor I mentioned). If you want to know it, ask, but if you'd prefer to do without it, I won't spoil you.

Thanks a ton for the detailed response! A few other questions:

So for capturing personas, should I try to capture everything I come in contact with even if I’ve already captured it once (which would give me the stats after the first capture) and just merge a bunch later, or balance that against killing / negotiating?

Is it usually better to pretty much always merge personas, or do you keep some in their original form? I assume you want a few options for joker so you wouldn’t want to fuse everything - right?

Do you attack first with Joker or last when fully controling?

Wouldn’t knocking down all enemies cause you to lose SP pretty quickly? I’m trying to balance that vs using melee attacks to keep pushing palace progression.

Could you explain a bit more how to use it with baton pass chain? From what I saw that it seems like it makes the next persons attack stronger but wouldn’t necessarily let them attack twice?

Sure - I would like to know about the money trick, as my gaming time is limited so I’m not too concerned about making the game overly easy since it’s so long to begin with :)

Are there any other confidants I should try to level up early in game? What about personal skills like knowledge, kindness, etc?
(edited 3 weeks ago)

JLazarillo
3 weeks ago#5
mjodotcom posted...
So for capturing personas, should I try to capture everything I come in contact with even if I’ve already captured it once (which would give me the stats after the first capture) and just merge a bunch later, or balance that against killing / negotiating?

Is it usually better to pretty much always merge personas, or do you keep some in their original form? I assume you want a few options for joker so you wouldn’t want to fuse everything - right?

To answer these two kinda in tandem, Fused Personas are always better than "wild" Personas. Always try to replace the ones you recruit, and never get attached. Joker's Personas level much slower than party members (and stop learning new skills after a few levels anyway), so the only way for him to keep up is to always produce new ones.

Do you attack first with Joker or last when fully controling?

Attack order is based on party members' Agility. The exact way it works out in battle overall is super janky, but in general, that's the way it works out. In the early game, Mona's your fastest teammate and will usually go first, controlled or not, unless Joker's got a fast Persona equipped.

Wouldn’t knocking down all enemies cause you to lose SP pretty quickly? I’m trying to balance that vs using melee attacks to keep pushing palace progression.

Yes, and dealing with management of that SP is the biggest hurdle. In the early game, on a first playthrough, there's not much you can do about it. Bear in mind a lot of stuff in the first Palace is weak to gunfire, though (and as my post noted before, you only need one hit for one damage to take advantage of that).

Could you explain a bit more how to use it with baton pass chain? From what I saw that it seems like it makes the next persons attack stronger but wouldn’t necessarily let them attack twice?

When you knock an enemy down, the person who dealt the knockdown gets a second turn. Baton Pass lets them give that extra turn to another teammate. This can keep you from wasting too much of Joker's SP/ammo pool by passing to a teammate who can take advantage of a weakness instead (because Joker pretty much is going to be the one whose pool is eaten up the fastest). However, it doesn't make the teammate lose their turn. If the battle order allows for Joker to have a turn, then Ryuji. Joker can deal a knockdown, Pass to Ryuji, then Ryuji will use that extra turn, and then still get to take his "real" turn after that.

Sure - I would like to know about the money trick, as my gaming time is limited so I’m not too concerned about making the game overly easy since it’s so long to begin with :)

It's a little complicated, and a little tedious, but definitely worth the time. Take a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1SryYRAy3w

User Info: uberking422

uberking422
3 weeks ago#6
In terms of confidants, two that are generally beneficial to max out or get to a high level ASAP once they're available are the Temperance and Fortune Arcana, since their skills basically let you avoid certain time-wasting activities (spending time with a confidant without leveling it up, errands like cooking or doing laundry, being too tired after a dungeon visit), provided you have the cash to use their services.

User Info: Chimeramanexe

Chimeramanexe
3 weeks ago#7
I just remembered that there is one other reason to do a part-time job: Unlocking the Sun confidant. Once you've seen the politician giving a speech, work once or twice at the ramen restaurant job and you'll be able to talk to him again and get him. Don't worry about barely working, the game isn't realistic at all in that area-- bosses will just allow you to work whenever you want, and there's no penalty for going months without showing up.
FC: 1263-6375-4172
IGN: Nate (in most games)

mjodotcom
3 weeks ago#8
JLazarillo posted...
mjodotcom posted...

To answer these two kinda in tandem, Fused Personas are always better than "wild" Personas. Always try to replace the ones you recruit, and never get attached. Joker's Personas level much slower than party members (and stop learning new skills after a few levels anyway), so the only way for him to keep up is to always produce new ones.

So is it best to just have one Persona with Joker but as high a level as possible? I thought you wanted multiple - especially for aligning type with confidants to build bonds faster and keep a greater elemental diversity?

That being said, I can give capturing a bunch a try and fusing down to a lower number - should I just balance this against saving SP and clearing the dungeon faster by avoiding casting abilities and just downing with melee?

User Info: uberking422

uberking422
3 weeks ago#9
mjodotcom posted...
JLazarillo posted...
mjodotcom posted...

So is it best to just have one Persona with Joker but as high a level as possible? I thought you wanted multiple - especially for aligning type with confidants to build bonds faster and keep a greater elemental diversity?

That being said, I can give capturing a bunch a try and fusing down to a lower number - should I just balance this against saving SP and clearing the dungeon faster by avoiding casting abilities and just downing with melee?

I think the point was rather than relying on the same wild personas for any extended period of time fuse new ones fairly frequently so he has a decent number that are up to his current level and movepool potential. Personas you fuse will gain an experience bonus if you've leveled up their corresponding Confidant, but level up slowly from battle so eventually they'll lag behind Joker's actual level.

JLazarillo
3 weeks ago#10
mjodotcom posted...

You definitely want several, and yes, especially in the sense of having them match the Confidants you're working on. The point I was trying to get at is that you don't want to hang on to them for very long. Sorry if that was confusing. Use the stuff you recruit, and the stuff you've already been using that's been getting outpaced, to make new stuff on a regular basis.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. New to P5 - Overall Early Game Strategy