• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. So what SMT game should I start with?

User Info: goodlyoak

goodlyoak
1 month ago#1
Never played these and looking to try one out which is the best to start with? Also, how is the story and gameplay compared to Persona?

User Info: TidalDream

TidalDream
1 month ago#2
will always say this

the best smt games to start with coming from persona are digital devil saga 1 and 2
So you're going all out. You're betting everything in one strike.
What courage. What a bold decision. I like that, but it is a foolish mistake against me.

User Info: SpartanAlice253

SpartanAlice253
1 month ago#3
Apocalypse, its where I started and I had a blast! Nothing in common with persona tho aside from the whole focus on weaknesses things and power of friendship theme
Famalam fam famalamalamalingo

User Info: EtroAnime

EtroAnime
1 month ago#4
TidalDream posted...
will always say this

the best smt games to start with coming from persona are digital devil saga 1 and 2

I agree with this, Persona 3 was my first SMT game and after that I tried out Nocturne and it was a little jarring to me at first but still good. DDS is a pretty good series with interesting characters, DDS 2 is the best to me IMO.
Far gone in Deep Space Ignition.
PSN ID: Rammel29

User Info: Chaosmark101

Chaosmark101
1 month ago#5
Can't go wrong with Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne.

Nocturne I think is a more fun enjoyable gameplay experience overall; But it's rather light on story and some people prefer more heavy narratives to their JRPG's.

Digital Devil Saga in that regard is a more complete package with stellar music, cutscenes a grand epic story etc.

Shin Megami Tensei IV which I just completed last week is also pretty excellent. But if you do start with that one. Know it starts out really difficult but gets easier later.
(You can change the difficulty at any time you want without penalty too in it.)
"Why the hell can't I get that girl out of my mind!?" ~ "Heat", Digital Devil Saga

User Info: goodlyoak

goodlyoak
1 month ago#6
Guess I'll play DDS. I read a brief summary on what it's about and while it sounds completely ridiculous I use to think the same thing about the Persona games and ended up really liking them. How are the characters compared to Persona 3-5's characters?

User Info: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski
1 month ago#7
I enjoyed SMT IV as my introduction to the series. The beginning (Naruku) was hard but I thought the last 1/3rd of the game was even worse. But I was trying to play it like a Persona game where you don't have to build your characters to use buffs and debuffs and can focus more on offense and healing (especially when Rise or Futaba will automatically buff you like crazy in P4 and P5). That didn't work and I had to go and do a bunch of fusions to get the necessary buff and debuff skills to beat demons like Beelzebub and later.

User Info: Centurionzo

Centurionzo
1 month ago#8
SpartanAlice253 posted...
Apocalypse, its where I started and I had a blast! Nothing in common with persona tho aside from the whole focus on weaknesses things and power of friendship theme

Apocalypse have the best gameplay however is considered the one with the worst story in the fanbase
I still have no idea of what's happening

User Info: Centurionzo

Centurionzo
1 month ago#9
Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor or SMT IV
I still have no idea of what's happening

User Info: Chaosmark101

Chaosmark101
1 month ago#10
goodlyoak posted...
Guess I'll play DDS. I read a brief summary on what it's about and while it sounds completely ridiculous I use to think the same thing about the Persona games and ended up really liking them. How are the characters compared to Persona 3-5's characters?

The characters are very involved in the overall plot, and are very memorable from their designs, demon transformations, and actions in the story. Obviously there aren't any social links in the game but you do grow to understand many of them and grow to like the main cast alot.

Edit: But obviously the characters in DDS live in such a vastly different world with vastly different circumstances that they won't be as relatable as Persona characters are. Just fyi.
"Why the hell can't I get that girl out of my mind!?" ~ "Heat", Digital Devil Saga
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. So what SMT game should I start with?
  • Topic Archived