How would you rebalance skills in this game? (Gameplay Spoilers?)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. How would you rebalance skills in this game? (Gameplay Spoilers?)

User Info: TwentyBowls

TwentyBowls
1 month ago#1
I think it's safe to assume that most people here are fans of the game in some way or another. While all of us have our different reasons for enjoying P5, there is a lot to love overall. However, nothing is perfect, and flaws are bound to exist. We've all had our experiences where we've felt that something's felt poorly thought out, imbalanced, or just plain weird.

For this thread, I want to focus on the topic of skills. There's a ton of smaller systems in this game that could use tweaking, but for this thread, I want to focus on the topic of skills exclusively. That means I'm avoiding any gameplay discussion about confidant perks / equipment / stats / stealth / velvet room usage here. Only skills.

In short, how would you rebalance this game's skills to put it closer to your ideal version of P5?

Here is a list of most of the types of skills in this game if you need a reminder:

Offense skills (Physical / Gun / Fire / Ice / Lightning / Wind / Psi / Nuclear / Bless / Curse / Almighty).
Ailment skills (Fear / Confuse / Despair / Dizzy / Brainwash / Rage / Sleep / Forget / Hunger / Burn / Freeze / Shock).
Recovery skills (Healing / Ailment Recovery).
Buffs and Debuffs (Attack / Defense / Accuracy + Evasion / Crit Rate / Ailment Susceptibility / Charge / Element Walls / Tetraja / Reflects).
Buff and Debuff counters (Element Breaks / Tetra + Makara Break).
Passives (Ailment Resistance / Damage Boosts / Auto Buffs / Element Resistance / etc.).
There's also the HP / SP drains.

In addition, here are a list of ideas if you need some help to form your thoughts:

What skills would you add to the game, if any? Do you feel that there is enough variety in the game as is? This can be anything from a new element, new passive skills, new ailments, whatever you can think of.
What skills would you remove from the game? Maybe there are too many elements, or some skills are so useless that they have no place in the game.
What skills would you edit, if any? Perhaps you feel that some things need a tweak to SP cost, damage, or maybe their overall effectiveness. Maybe you feel that some skills could use a mechanics overhaul entirely.
Are there skills that you would want to see added / tweaked / removed from enemies? Perhaps a boss has a lackluster pattern that you'd like to spice up, or another boss may be too much and you feel it could be nerfed / simpler.
How would you change the skills that your party members obtain, if at all?

User Info: LagoonTheCursed

LagoonTheCursed
1 month ago#2
for the most part the skill balance is fine when strictly speaking about the skills, the only thing that really needs a nerf is swift strike

buff magic ability too i guess to make magic a stronger option at the end of the game, since phys is mostly better than magic at the end. doesn't really matter though, megidolaon does just fine. just make it stack better with boosts and that's enough.

add non-prf severe skills for light/dark, add some more gun skills

give yusuke a better niche than crits/baton pass because those niches suck (and he's outclassed in the latter despite being specialized in it, wild). right now he's easily the worst party member because he never has any time to shine.

give haru a better buff than heat riser because heat riser sucks (debilitate would make her top 3 imo).

hell, give everybody just an assortment of skills a la p4g to make each one more defined since everyone is same-y. chie/kanji feel very different, yukari/ken feel very different, yukiko/teddie feel very different, junpei/koromaru feel very different. but ryuji/yusuke feel really similar and so do makoto/morgana.
YUSUKE IS BAD IN PERSONA 5, WORST PARTY MEMBER IN THE GAME BESIDES AKECHI
OUTDAMAGED BY RYUJI, OUTBULKED BY RYUJI, HAS NO GOOD OPTIONS VS BOSS FIGHTS

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
1 month ago#3
Swift Strike 1-3 hits instead of 3-4 hits
remove Hassou Tobi and Shining Arrows, it´s broken and ain´t even transferable, really sucks the fun out of a monster cathing game where you are supposed to use your favs.
double the power of Vorpal Blade.
more gun skills, atleast have a single and multi target skill for each damage class, aka weak, medium, heavy.
make magic more powerfull, megidolaon need a slight buff to compete with Riot Gun and that uses 1 skill slot less, the other severe elements should be where Megidolaon is now.
severe bless and curse moves.
increase the amount of SP healed by invigorate skills.

replace Haru´s Heat Riser with Rakunda, Marakunda
remove Charge from Ryuji
add Charge to Yusuke
give Morgana a severe wind spell
generally give the Party more skills to choose from again.
If you obey Lucifer and are 100% proud of it, copy this and make it your signature! RPGs Beaten: 666

LagoonTheCursed
1 month ago#4
i dont think removing charge from ryuji is necessary

nerfs arent really necessary for any party member, even makoto tbh

User Info: Illuminoius

Illuminoius
1 month ago#5
i dunno, but i'd like if your weapon actually mattered in this outside of the stat bonuses some bring

phys being unable to crit vs bosses just shows how broken the extra turn system is, but removing the ability to crit makes one party member unviable against bosses

several personas need severe nerfs on elemental resistances. i had a shiki-ouji for a majority of the game and took no damage, and later replaced it with a girimehkala and a rangda

mc's death causing a game over is super lame but at the same time the game is easy enough that you should never die, so game overs should be caused by total wipes and enemies should deal more damage

status effects should viable against bosses

anne and ryuji having charge skills when nobody else has them gives them a ridiculous edge lategame

items need a massive nerf

User Info: Chimeramanexe

Chimeramanexe
1 month ago#6
It would be nice if Makoto got another physical move after Flash Bomb, she kind of gets pigeonholed as a pure caster despite having some great physical stats. Morgana should really get Sukunda, especially since he gets Masukunda (at a late enough level to no longer matter). Heck, just giving the player a reason to still use regular attacks (especially regular gun attacks) beyond the second palace would be nice. I never end up using Haru's, Makoto's, or Akechi's firearms.
FC: 1263-6375-4172
IGN: Nate (in most games)

User Info: MvUyDk1e8s9

MvUyDk1e8s9
1 month ago#7
Make it so that using Ann, Ryugi, and Makoto, with the MC covering the other weaknesses and a healing person just in case, the best way to go about the game. Once I got Makoto, my team never changed. Maybe Haru has her uses, but coming so late, I never bothered.
I'm triggered by you being triggered by everything. Suck it up cupcake.

LagoonTheCursed
1 month ago#8
MvUyDk1e8s9 posted...
Make it so that using Ann, Ryugi, and Makoto, with the MC covering the other weaknesses and a healing person just in case, the best way to go about the game.

what?

User Info: TidalDream

TidalDream
1 month ago#9
i think they forgot the word 'not'
So you're going all out. You're betting everything in one strike.
What courage. What a bold decision. I like that, but it is a foolish mistake against me.

LagoonTheCursed
1 month ago#10
oh lmao

well there is always gonna be a best party. that's unavoidable, the only way this would change is if everyone was exactly the same.

the point of the MC is that he's so flexible you can use any party.

P4G's best party is Teddie/Yukiko/Kanji, P3P's is Aki/Aigis/Yukari

but in p4g i use Yosuke/Kanji/Naoto and in P3P im gonna run Aki/Aigis/Junpei because in both cases they get the job done (hell, i think the only way the former party can get worse is to drop Kanji for Chie)

p4g is also super degenerate to play optimally, so just don't play optimally. optimal p5 is boring as f*** (r/a/m, shiki ouji with ss)
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. How would you rebalance skills in this game? (Gameplay Spoilers?)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived