• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Sorry to be that guy...but will i like this?

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
5 months ago#21
pschambers6 posted...
it manages to rehash 3 and 4 and not be as good as either of them.

I dunno... I agree about it not being as good as 3, since that’s the best done scenario, but 4 was absolutely the worst.

Everthing after Adachi getting caught was extremely random, drawn out, forced, and just plain dumb.

Enjoyable, but dumb nonetheless.

User Info: DJSnafu23

DJSnafu23
5 months ago#22
Thanks for your replies everyone...I'm gonna digest everything said and comment again soon. Really appreciate the help, this board/site is my favourite thing online when people don't just troll. I have one more question...

I really loved 3...The social aspects weren't my favourite thing (though my first encounter with anything liek this so definite novelty value for me)...they weren't my thing as i said but it wasn't inherent. i just found the tales to be a little on the be a good person sort of obisou morality tales. At least for the characters i befriended. I liked the weird corrupt politician or tv star though,maybe there were other darker ones i missed. WOuld you say 5's social sides have something in darker veins? Sorry for being so particular.

My only other issue with 3, because i still loved the game and rank it in my top 10 for sure, was the music. Its the only time i've played a game on mute (along with XCX in the city), does 5 have a BGM slider or at least more variety?

Thanks again everyone!

User Info: Chimeramanexe

Chimeramanexe
5 months ago#23
I feel that they do the social links better each game. None of them have a perfect set, but even the "worst" ones in P5 are better than the "worst" ones in P3. This game is definitely darker-- you're explicitly forming "Confidants" rather than "Social Links", as in people that can help support you as a criminal/"criminal". Most of them start out explicitly mercenary in orientation, a quid pro quo exchange, though obviously they can and do develop deeper than that. This is also reflected in gameplay elements, in that every character does something for you besides just power up their arcana's personas, such as being able to access certain items, tilt battles in your favor in interesting ways, or cooking. You won't find any ghost boys this time around, but you can deal with a formerly-corrupt politician seeking redemption, an abusive boyfriend or two, an ex-Yakuza getting sucked back in, a creepy-but-completely-non-magical cult/scam operation, and several things that tie back to the main plotline's conspiracy.

Said conspiracy is also quite dark, and the main plotline will have a lot of horrible people to take down, with realistic consequences for failure and realistic fallout from things (i.e. an abused kid who still kind of views his abuser as a father figure and struggles to reconcile his ingrained feelings with what he knows objectively). I think that it would do well to play P4 first though to give the plot more impact (even though it's probably the lightest-tone installment in the series), as the chapter villains of P5 make a strong contrast to the chapter bosses of P4. P4 has you see the "Shadow," the part of a person that they refuse to acknowledge, which may be made up of truly negative characteristics, or just things they PERCEIVE as negative (like being gay/bisexual or wanting their own life). However, these "Shadows" are mostly of genuinely good people who just have issues. P5 lets you see the Shadows of genuinely evil people, made of their rationalizations and denial (including the true self beneath the friendly public facade), and they are that much nastier.

P4 and P5 also have great music in my opinion, though both have the problem where there is only one regular battle theme, thus it can get old (also P5's equivalent to Tartarus, which you won't spend quite as much time in, has really droning repetitive music). Absolutely unmute it for the sidequest bosses in there, though, and the themes for the various dungeons have some excellent tracks (especially the 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th ones). The chapter bosses and bosses at the climax points have killer tracks, too. Oh, and those dungeons are vastly more intricately-designed and interesting than the ones in P3 or P4.
FC: 1263-6375-4172
IGN: Nate (in most games)

User Info: Chimeramanexe

Chimeramanexe
5 months ago#24
(Just to clarify, the musical style of each Persona game is considerably different from the previous entries, aside from at least a few utterly killer electric guitar instrumental tracks from Sho Meguro. The stuff with lyrics this time doesn't sound anything like the stuff with lyrics from P3, and the singer in P5 has a much better command of English than the singers from P3, and the lyrics much more directly relate to the plot rather than J-pop word salad. If you don't dig at least some of these songs you are probably dead inside.)
FC: 1263-6375-4172
IGN: Nate (in most games)

User Info: DJSnafu23

DJSnafu23
5 months ago#25
Wow Chimeramanexe this all sounds awesome!!! Apart from the music bit but you got me sold man!!! Also laughed for about 5 minutes at j pop word salad. I guess i dont like vocals over music that goes on for ages...you know we spend 100s of hours on these so give us variation or at least something not offensive...i don't mind kinda bland if its not tiring to the ear. NLA music in XBX is even worse than P3 but kinda similar actually. Still, thats a minor personal prefence and i might not even dislike it in the end. Might make it my first purchase for the console! Thanks man!
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Sorry to be that guy...but will i like this?
  • Topic Archived