Persona 5 vs Persona 4

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Persona 5 vs Persona 4

User Info: DylanYoshi

DylanYoshi
5 months ago#11
P4 has some of the peak characters in the series (namely Kanji and Naoto) but it also has some really boring ones (Yosuke, Chie, Teddie). While I love Rise and Kanji and Naoto and Yukiko though, it's a bit of a shame that of all the party members, Naoto is the only one that's really useful as far as the main story goes.

P5's party by comparison I think is generally better- Besides Morgana, I liked every character in its party a lot. They never reach the peak of Kanji or Naoto but they also never reach the lows of Yosuke or Chie. And besides that, I like how every single party member in P5 feels like they bring something to the table in the grand scheme of things- They each have some kind of skill that helps the team accomplish their goals.

And plus it helps that P5's party is generally competent. P4's just bumble around for the entire game before Naoto shows up. You'd think it'd be within Kanji's personality to tackle someone and cover their mouth before they can say "You're not me!" but I guess they can't do that because there needs to be a boss battle. I get it, talking is a free action, but talking shouldn't be a free action when talking itself is a clearly established danger to everyone. And that's kinda the big thing- The characters in P4 seem like idiots just because the plot demands it. There was literally a television in the same room as Yu and Dojima when Dojima was interrogating him, but neither of them thought to even try to prove Yu's story? This would've been an egregious plot hole without the TV in the room, but it's made even worse with the TV being RIGHT THERE. But I guess because they've decided that adults have to be useless (a trope I really tend to dislike), Dojima can't ever find out about the existence of the TV World and everyone looks stupid because of it.

I love P4, it's in my top 20 games of all time, but it's nowhere near as good as P3 or P5. It has some really great characters but the plot suffers. I'm also not that big on P4's heavy emphasis on a slice-of-life style, and I'm glad they toned it back quite a bit for P5.

User Info: McMorty

McMorty
5 months ago#12
DylanYoshi posted...

P5's party by comparison I think is generally better- Besides Morgana, I liked every character in its party a lot. They never reach the peak of Kanji or Naoto but they also never reach the lows of Yosuke or Chie. And besides that, I like how every single party member in P5 feels like they bring something to the table in the grand scheme of things- They each have some kind of skill that helps the team accomplish their goals.

I love how in Palace 7 everyone gets their chance to shine.

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
5 months ago#13
Akinari Kamiki of persona 3 was very well written if you ask me (Sun arcana guy)
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: Tkmajing

Tkmajing
5 months ago#14
Persona 4:Golden is better game. Not by much, but still. Persona 5: Crimson/Red/ETC might be better than Golden though.
You can't have a nightmare if you never dream.

User Info: Malacoda

Malacoda
5 months ago#15
I gotta give it to 5. I find confidants better than s links. In 4,you're incentivised to go after s links in your party over others, because of the combat buffs. In 5 though, you could unlock new perks with anyone, that have major uses outside palaces. (look at the wardens rank 10, which let's you fuse personas over your level, and kawakami's rank 10,which let's you do evening activities after palaces and mementos.)

Palaces are way better than the tv world, sneak attacks work better, new elements, and the combat menus are so much more fluid. It reminds me of ff6 advance where you can just hit a button to go into sub menus instead of list scrolling. Hitting O to block is a huge time saver. Morgana is actually competent when compared to teddy.

Then there's the music which I also find better. My only complaint is that the rain music that plays has actually put me to sleep on more than one occasion.

5 also had a lot more you could do with your free time.

The missions weren't just a bunch of fetch quests in 5 either.

All in all, while it sounds like I'm s***ting on P4, it's one of my all time favourite games, and this just shows how great p5 is.
Lecture Over.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

User Info: azure556

azure556
5 months ago#16
golden is slightly better but i feel its not a fair comparison.
it should be vanilla vs vanilla, golden was made purposely for the feel of a "true" completion.

when p5 complete edition comes out im sure its gonna topple over golden.

User Info: busterSouls

busterSouls
5 months ago#17
Draw

P4 had better story and characters

P5 had better gameplay

User Info: Doober2

Doober2
5 months ago#18
I think 4 has the better main characters and story

But I think 5 is far better at everything else.
Currently Playing: Everybody's Golf, Horizon: Zero Dawn
Whisper can do it!

User Info: Dalymiddleboro1

Dalymiddleboro1
5 months ago#19
SMT is the best!
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Persona 5 vs Persona 4

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived