Steel's Persona Diaries - A First Time Persona Player's Playlog Part 2

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Steel's Persona Diaries - A First Time Persona Player's Playlog Part 2

User Info: Cobalnite

Cobalnite
6 months ago#341
SteelWingKnight posted...
smol.exe stopped working...

Ftfy
Is that a Catherine figurine?

Yep, pretty neat
Also there's the trophy reference

"You gave me back my life. I was dead, and you resurrected me."
Fitting words to conclude her development, going back to her palace as the pharoah of her pyramid tomb.

Not to mention really touching

But she doesn't have to, and that's her reward, to stay with Joker.

Adorable AF~

Just, with Sojiro in the picture and the size and age difference... It's just a bit too awkward for me.

Actually it'd only be just the Size difference, since she's only 1 year younger than Joker.
Official Husband of Lady Azura from FE:Fates
Xenoblade logic: Toppling huge monsters with only 1 punch

User Info: SteelWingKnight

SteelWingKnight
6 months ago#342
The "Bad" Ending

Joker makes a pact with the Grail, things go back as they were, people remain trapped in their distorted desires, the Phantom Thieves continue as heroes fighting evil, people stay passive, and... that's it?

That wasn't really so bad. I was expecting worse.

It's not a good state things are left in, but it's just kind of how things were before, it's not the end of the world or anything.

Oh, and you don't get the fancy final credit real.

Another thing I haven't done: Should I try fighting the Reaper?
(Since I probably won't play a New Game+, as that's just too much time playing the same game over again).

Some thoughts on seeing the scenes again:
-Noticed that the Grail gets progressively shinier every time its powered up by the people to heal up
-It's nice how putting Caroline and Justine to the guillotine and fusing them integrates the gameplay mechanic of persona fusion you've been learning and doing into the story
-The "game" the Grail set up makes a tad more sense, but still... despite Joker prevailing over Akechi, humanity ultimately dismissed the Thieves as not being real, and that was humanity's failure that led the grail to continue with their plan, not yours
-Lavenza's design is awesome. I kinda wish she had some ultimate transformation you used to defeat Yadawhatever as the Joker's ultimate persona...

Giggins posted...

Now the facts. Make of them what you will.

So basically, P3P fixes and improves the gameplay, but lacks animated cut scenes (probably due to PSP disk size), no free roam in the daytime life, and no FES bonus content.

Sounds like the original P3 didn't give you that much control... seems very strange to have a battle system where you can only control one character, I wonder why they did that.

Giggins posted...
And a general word on P3's dungeon environments: they do change up visually a lot, moreso than Mementos. Also, you can breeze through Tartarus' floors really quickly so you don't have to spend as much time as in P5's main dungeons. There are no puzzles to block your way. This goes for P4 too.

Good that the dungeons are a little more varied, but sad that there aren't puzzles; P5 only had a few and they weren't hard but at least it was even a small break in the action.

Gadien posted...
Which social links did you not get to 10 Steel? I think you should youtube them and give us your reactions since it's not really pivotal at this point. Unless your saving it for a second run for something to look forward too?

The Confidants I did not get to 10 were: Kawakami, Futaba, Ohya, Haru, Iwai, Shinya.
(I wanted to get Ms. Kawakami to 10 but at some point I just couldn't access her no matter what... :( )

Watching Futaba's on youtube felt kind of... distant. It's not the same just watching them as opposed to playing them out, I don't quite as into it. Maybe just Kawakami's.
#1 Flora Fan: http://the-secret-shop.tumblr.com/image/144376869209
FEH Team: Wendy Hector BK Linde /// #TeamHector

User Info: Chessicfayth

Chessicfayth
6 months ago#343
Here's the last I'll say on the matter, since I'm in the minority here.

The lack of control in the original and FES was intentional. It was a game design choice that was there for a reason. It's not for everybody, I'll be the first to admit that. It's given me a headache or two, and I'm one of its proponents. But it works, if you're willing to learn it. There's a science to it, an art if you're feeling fanciful. And it really does add to the personality of your teammates. To learn about them, how they'll act in battle, and to plan around that until they are more willing to follow your commands. It adds another layer of depth and challenge that P4 and P5 didn't have, for all that I liked them better (primarily due to personal favorites among the cast).

It's a bit of work, sure. But like most things you have to work for, it can be pretty rewarding.

User Info: Giggins

Giggins
6 months ago#344
SteelWingKnight posted...

So basically, P3P fixes and improves the gameplay, but lacks animated cut scenes (probably due to PSP disk size), no free roam in the daytime life, and no FES bonus content.

Be aware that FES added not only the Answer episode to the original vanilla P3, but also various additions to the main story. P3P has all the FES extra content in the main campaign, it's just The Answer that's missing.

User Info: shadowsun7

shadowsun7
6 months ago#345
Chessicfayth posted...

The lack of control in the original and FES was intentional. It was a game design choice that was there for a reason. It's not for everybody, I'll be the first to admit that. It's given me a headache or two, and I'm one of its proponents. But it works, if you're willing to learn it. There's a science to it, an art if you're feeling fanciful. And it really does add to the personality of your teammates. To learn about them, how they'll act in battle, and to plan around that until they are more willing to follow your commands. It adds another layer of depth and challenge that P4 and P5 didn't have, for all that I liked them better (primarily due to personal favorites among the cast).

It's a bit of work, sure. But like most things you have to work for, it can be pretty rewarding.

Not being able to control your teammates did seem to give them a bit of personality.

That's one of the things I like about Fallout and Skyrim as well -- the NPC characters (especially your companions) often do their own thing and even if you hate what they do, said behavior is a lot more realistic in terms of "role-playing", especially if you only see your "role" as that of the main character.

Coincidentally, I'm watching Westworld for the first time and it makes me think about whether we'll ever get to the point where AI is so pervasive and integrated into each character that every "playthrough" will be different as a result... especially if they can learn from "past lives" like they do on the show.

That would be a New Game+ worth playing.

SteelWingKnight
6 months ago#346
shadowsun7 posted...
Chessicfayth posted...

Not being able to control your teammates did seem to give them a bit of personality.

That's one of the things I like about Fallout and Skyrim as well -- the NPC characters (especially your companions) often do their own thing and even if you hate what they do, said behavior is a lot more realistic in terms of "role-playing", especially if you only see your "role" as that of the main character.

Coincidentally, I'm watching Westworld for the first time and it makes me think about whether we'll ever get to the point where AI is so pervasive and integrated into each character that every "playthrough" will be different as a result... especially if they can learn from "past lives" like they do on the show.

That would be a New Game+ worth playing.

That actually sounds like an interesting and unique mechanic, instead of controlling the entire team yourself, you play as only one character in the team, you can only control your own actions, and have to work with your teammates. Almost sounds like more immersive in terms of role-playing. I'm intrigued... almost makes me want to play P3 just to try it.

Maybe I'll watch some vids of both and see if the control in battle is worth giving up the animated cut scenes and free roam.

I'm not sure that will be a thing for traditional RPGs but I can see a more rogue-like game being built around that, not so much a 100 hour JRPG.

Imagine a permadeath game meant more for shorter runs, something like say FTL or Darkest Dungeon or Slay the Spire, but more traditional RPG or SRPG style combat, where you encounter random potential party members you can recruit throughout each randomized run, and your actions in one run will affect the behaviour, abilities, and stats of characters in future runs - their abilities in the future will change and also whether they like you or not, etc..

That would be cool.
Now, if only hadn't give up on programming many years ago...

SteelWingKnight
6 months ago#347
A thought:

Persona 5 proves that JRPGs are alive and well.

I've heard even as far back as 10 years ago that JRPGs are obsolete and outdated with modern consoles and that real time combat is the future. Yet the Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii did have a fair share of JRPGs. Yet look at Persona 5 and FFXV. I don't want to turn this into a comparison, but P5 really embraced being a JRPG while FFXV went for a more western approach with its real time combat and super technical realistic graphics and the open world. Yet despite it's super flashy appearance, the combat of FFXV grew stale and boring real fast, and the world felt bland and uninspired and the sidequests where your typical filler fetch chores. (And on that note, Lost Odyssey on the 360 is probably what a modern turn based Final Fantasy would be like, the "archaic" turn based battle system with solid graphics and a beautiful soundtrack, that game gave me massive FF4 vibes).

I gave up FFXV after about 10 hours. I played P5 for over 100 hours. And I'm not really a fan of turn based JRPGs.
There's been plenty of JRPGs over the last 2 console generations, but P5 is one of the seemingly few that has a straight up fully turn based battle system.
There are many Japanese RPGs that do real time combat well (Tales series, Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Monster Hunter World), but P5 shows that JRPGs that stick to their roots and embrace their Japanese style still can do well.

Octopath Traveller on the Switch seems to be next exciting turn based JRPG.
The recently released 3DS remake of Radiant Historia is another recent excellent turn based JRPG (check it out, it doesn't seem to be that popular, it has an interesting story mechanic where you time travel between timelines to change events and it actually does time travel as a gameplay mechaic, the turn based grid battle system is pretty fun where you can manipulate ally and enemy turn order and position to set up combos, and it has pretty graphics and a great soundtrack).

---

Re: My next play log, since some of you seem to be interested.

I might take up Valkyria Chronicles on PC; would anyone be interested in reading a playlog of that?

I'm also going start a video Let's Play of an older Fire Emblem game, I'm getting things set up with that hope to have it started within the next week. I've already done a video ironman LP of Fire Emblem Gaiden last year. Here's a link to my youtube channel, feel free to subscribe for when I get that going.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCisuuCp-DTKkLLAwqLAb6mA?

I think I will play Fate Extella next for the PS4 (a Warriors type game in the Fate universe, Im definitely playing it for the characters and lore, not the gameplay). But I don't think there's much to comment for that game, the gameplay is simple hack n slash and the story is probably horribly convoluted and visual novel like and probably doesn't leave much room for decisions or roleplaying like Persona does. (And any playlog would end up me fawning over how great Tamamo-no-Mae is).

After, I'll probably play Nier Automata (I loved the first).

Oh yeah, and I should try fighting the Reaper sometime.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Steel's Persona Diaries - A First Time Persona Player's Playlog Part 2

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived