Games that are somewhat like Persona...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Games that are somewhat like Persona...

User Info: Vamp_Wraith

Vamp_Wraith
7 months ago#1
Hey all, I'm interested in playing other RPGs that have a 'relationship' or 'sim' like quality in addition to their standard RPG battlesystem/story. Can people that know of some unique games like this, other than earlier Persona titles help recommend me some games worth playing? Preferably on the 3DS or PlayStation consoles but anything really goes.

I guess there is Fire Emblem which has a relationship/combat/story dynamic... but what else?
"The way I see it, you can either run from the past, or learn from it!" -- Rafiki, Lion King =D

User Info: ExperiencePoint

ExperiencePoint
7 months ago#2
Tokyo Xanadu came out just a few days ago and it's looks cool.
Currently Playing: Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

User Info: jw91

jw91
7 months ago#3
I guess Lost Dimension could qualify, with the added twist that A LOT of your party members will betray you. Procedurally determined too, so you can’t even replay for 100%.

User Info: Kneekicker

Kneekicker
7 months ago#4
If you've got a Wii U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions would be worth looking into. It's essentially Persona-lite with FE characters and DDS-style combat. Devil Survivor 2's Fate system is basically a condensed version of Social/Confidant links, which the first Devil Survivor didn't have. As for Fire Emblem, the relationship mechanic is most prevalent in Genealogy of the Holy War, Awakening, and Fates - the Support mechanic in the other entries mainly just provides different character endings and minor gameplay benefits.

The 3DS is a gold-mine for RPGs and it's honestly hard to name just a couple of games, but Stella Glow and Lord of Magna has some nice relation mechanics. Xenoblade Chronicles and Conception II are good too, but they're also available on the Wii and Vita/PC respectively. The Rune Factory games are basically Harvest Moon games with the inclusion of combat and RPG mechanics.

If Raising Sims are your thing, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and Digimon World Next Order are pretty great PS4 games, with the latter being more focused on the raising aspect than the former which is more plot-based. The Ar Tonelico and Agarest series are also worth looking into since romance factors into the gameplay of both.
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 | PSN: ansonip2000 | Steam: Kneekicker
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.

User Info: mada7

mada7
7 months ago#5
I'll second Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It's a pretty good mashup of persona and the fire emblem series, borrowing quite a bit from both to create a game that's quite fun and a decent challenge. An interesting point about it is that it is arguably the video game equivalent of a musical in that the plot just happens to require a lot of singing.
3DS Friend Code = 5155 - 3829 - 9448
(message deleted)

User Info: jw91

jw91
7 months ago#7
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ruins itself with its terrible bubblegum/idol aesthetic. Fire Emblem and SMT... it was such a cool concept. Too bad they botched it.

User Info: void_lily

void_lily
7 months ago#8
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Is it the fear to fall in space that keeps us from understanding?

User Info: LagoonTheCursed

LagoonTheCursed
7 months ago#9
If you like gameplay a lot, I do suggest Tokyo Mirage Sessions if you don't mind long attack animations. If you're more into the story, I suggest it if you're into either idols or if you like seeing the cute little references that are sprinkled throughout the game. The soundtrack is also fantastic.

If you REALLY hate idols and you're not interested in the gameplay then skip it.
Mistranslation, plot hole, or bad writing?

User Info: DeathScythe3100

DeathScythe3100
7 months ago#10
The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 1+2 and there's also a 3 but not out in English yet.These games or Tokyo Xanadu eX would definitely be your best bets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BPvljLyy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Shcu480ua8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lthwCw4ZUaU
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Games that are somewhat like Persona...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived