Just got this game for Black Friday, am I missing much if I've never played P4?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Just got this game for Black Friday, am I missing much if I've never played P4?

User Info: wg64Z

wg64Z
5 months ago#1
Heard this game was great, decided it's time I check out the series. Is this a direct sequel/prequel?
Do you like humor, gameplay, and daily content? Check out my hilarious let's play Youtube Channel, Tarvould's Quest!
https://www.youtube.com/TarvouldsQuest

User Info: mada7

mada7
5 months ago#2
There's a few little nods/easter eggs to the earlier games in the series (eg. posters in the subway station) but absolutely nothing that would require playing any of the past games.

Also a little warning to you since this can be a bit offputting to first time players: the game starts very slowly but it is worth putting up with because when things get going it's fantastic
3DS Friend Code = 5155 - 3829 - 9448

User Info: wg64Z

wg64Z
5 months ago#3
Cool, I don't mind a slow beginning, plus with a brand new series, even a slow start can seem fresh.
Do you like humor, gameplay, and daily content? Check out my hilarious let's play Youtube Channel, Tarvould's Quest!
https://www.youtube.com/TarvouldsQuest

User Info: MG_Salad

MG_Salad
5 months ago#4
Don't worry about missing 3 or 4. A friend of mine hated the combat system in 3FES, so I told him to skip to 4 (PS2) and he didn't miss out on anything. They all make references to the past games (and Catherine in P3P), but they aren't really more than just references that are fun to see if you've played past games.
The best things in life aren't allowed to be discussed on GameFaqs.

User Info: XcZeus3469

XcZeus3469
5 months ago#5
Yeah the ball takes a bit to get rolling but once it does....

Hooo boy....
"I read this as a Bannanable Offense. I was like, what ksing with Soraka?"-Kirby 1207
psn: http://psnprofiles.com/ShadyMan8903

User Info: DylanYoshi

DylanYoshi
5 months ago#6
The few things that really matter as far as series lore is concerned originated in either Persona 1 or Persona 2, which the majority of the fanbase hasn't played anyways. You'll be just fine playing this without the other games.

The beginning is only really slow in that it takes a while for the game to open up and give you more freedom. In terms of story, it progresses at an amazing pace.

User Info: TidalDream

TidalDream
5 months ago#7
no

now run away
So you're going all out. You're betting everything in one strike.
What courage. What a bold decision. I like that, but it is a foolish mistake against me.

User Info: Sharius

Sharius
5 months ago#8
this game like final fantasy, there are no connection between them, unless they share a same name, like persona 4 is a vanilla version that been released on PS2, and PS4 golden is an upgrade version of persona 4 and been release on vita

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
5 months ago#9
Sharius posted...
this game like final fantasy, there are no connection between them, unless they share a same name, like persona 4 is a vanilla version that been released on PS2, and PS4 golden is an upgrade version of persona 4 and been release on vita

This game is like final fantasy in that you needn't play the previous games to understand the plot, but unlike final fantasy they all take place in the same universe several years apart. There is continuity between the games. It's just not relevant to the plot.
Common sense is just wisdom with its sleeves rolled up

User Info: BrianCraigSmith

BrianCraigSmith
5 months ago#10
You should give P4 a go, preferably Golden version.
PSN: Handsomistic1 NNID: Handsomistic15
3DS FC: 2767-1438-6425
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Just got this game for Black Friday, am I missing much if I've never played P4?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived