• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Meaning of Mementos (minor spoilers)

User Info: Naygen

Naygen
1 year ago#1
Hello!
Have you ever wondered what the names of the paths in Mementos mean?
Well, I'm here to answer that question, as most names seem to be Hebrew in origin, and Hebrew is my mother tongue.

So,
Mementos goes like this:
Qimranut
Aiyatsubus
Chemdah
Kaitul
Akzeriyyuth
Adyeshach
Sheriruth
Iweleth

All these words mean something.
From top to bottom:

Qimranut - distortion of the Hebrew word Chomranut, meaning materialism.
Aiyatsubus - took some time to figure out. Distortion of the phrase Ee- yatsivut - meaning instability.
Chemdah - not distorted at all this time, so this was the easiest. Means desire, and a related word in Hebrew, Chamdanut, means greed, avarice.
Kaitul - This one is really distorted. Original word seems to be Keeoor, meaning ugliness. Not sure about that one.
Akzeriyyuth - original word is Achzariyut. Meaning is Cruelty.
Adyeshach - distorted from Adishut. Meaning is Apathy.
Sheriruth - distorted from Shrirut. Meaning arbitrariness. Could also mean stubbornness.
Iweleth - Meaning is stupidity.

This means, that in simple terms, Mementos is comprised of:
Materialism
Instability
Desire
Ugliness
Cruelty
Apathy
Stubbornness
Stupidity

Also, about the final dungeon - leave now if you don't want the name spoiled -

Qliphoth - derived from Klipot, literal meaning is shells, husks, peels. Also means "forces of evil", or "spirtual waste" in the Kabbalah, which is Jewish mysticism. I ain't a religious guy, so I don't know much beyond that.

And that's about it. You could have probably googled that yourself, but hopefully I saved you some trouble.
Have a great day.

User Info: NextGenCowboy

NextGenCowboy
1 year ago#2
In the Gnostic faiths, what we commonly know as Sloth is considered the ultimate sin. To not look inward, or outward, to find answers, means you're essentially nothing any longer.

The game takes this to its logical conclusion with everyone wanting to be guided, and the prison motif.

I'm sure there's a connection with Spiritual Waste and Gnosticism, but that's not my area of expertise by any stretch of the imagination.

This was informative, thank you.
"Revy, have you forgotten? I'm already dead. I think I died the day I met you." -- Rock.

User Info: CrazyGreenGamer

CrazyGreenGamer
1 year ago#3
COOL
Memento Mori I guess, because I'm an unoriginal Persona fan.

User Info: Lirishae

Lirishae
1 year ago#4
Very interesting, thanks for posting ^^ In the Japanese version, Kaitul was rendered "bitoku ubawareshi michi" meaning "virtue stealing path." Does that help you any?
"Little scratches on people's hearts will be gone if they pat them from behind, but the humans don't know that." -Li'l Cactus
3DS FC: 0619-3174-3155

User Info: Naygen

Naygen
1 year ago#5
NextGenCowboy posted...
I'm sure there's a connection with Spiritual Waste and Gnosticism, but that's not my area of expertise by any stretch of the imagination.
Yes, that was also my conclusion.
Spiritual waste being the epitome of apathy, making up the theme of that dungeon.

Lirishae posted...
Very interesting, thanks for posting ^^ In the Japanese version, Kaitul was rendered "bitoku ubawareshi michi" meaning "virtue stealing path." Does that help you any?
Honestly, nothing else comes to mind.
I'll look up some more later and see if I can find anything.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Meaning of Mementos (minor spoilers)
  • Topic Archived