• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. New to JRPG and the series... Is it worth buying?

User Info: wolverine4286

wolverine4286
2 years ago#1
This game looks incredible but have never played a JRPG or games with similar combat mechanics. Also not familiar with the Persona series, so is it worth a pick up to try?
That's not you Rex! You don't mow down lawns... You mow down lives!

User Info: EzraGenesis

EzraGenesis
2 years ago#2
I guess?
Any Tree Can Drop An Apple. I'll Drop The Freaking Moon
PSN: AxiomGenesis

User Info: Braev

Braev
2 years ago#3
Yes.

I don't think it's too hardcore for a newcomer since it has difficulty settings, but the social/time management aspect could seem a bit annoying/overwhelming. This is a fine starting point for the esries though.

If you're looking to get into JRPGs I would recommend playing Chrono Trigger.
Justice has prevailed.
http://i.imgur.com/0xWR3sB.gif

User Info: Pikachu156

Pikachu156
2 years ago#4
It can be, but as I talked with another user was that it dosen't matter if it has a bad theme on adults, to which it can be stated that it's only adults who abuse the power that was supposed to be for the people/ society. It's rated M and done I'm 18 I still get the concept of teens rebelling to fork society the way it was supposed to be.
"It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do". - Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII
FE Heroes FC: 3731511862/ Like Azzy

User Info: haseeby4

haseeby4
2 years ago#5
JUst know a few things before going into it, and then you can decide for yourself.
First off JRPGS have massive amount of dialogue, i'm talking text book thick scripts for the game. The game itself probably has more words then most novels.
Secondly in most JRPG's with turn based combat there tend to be some strategy involved with the combat. Debuffing/buffing, knowing what enemies are weak to, Knowing how approach certain bosses etc.
Third the game has multiple difficulties. The easiest mode is "safety" mode which basically gives you 3x XP and money. Easy mode gives 1.2x XP. Normal mode is just normal mode, and then hard is a bit more difficult then that. If you hate grinding feel free to use safety mode, but it may make the game to boring as you'll be overpowered.
Fourth this game has a lot of bull 1 shot moves that will kill you. If you die you can lose a lot of progress, so make sure to save frequently.

Now besides all those things i've listed, the game itself is very good. The combat is fast paced. The music is great. The story is quite entertaining, The characters are extremely likable.
My 3ds FC - 0276 0975 6411

User Info: YummyBear222

YummyBear222
2 years ago#6
wolverine4286 posted...
This game looks incredible but have never played a JRPG or games with similar combat mechanics. Also not familiar with the Persona series, so is it worth a pick up to try?

Everyone was new at some point, but majority of the people seem to like Persona 5 so the chances are you will like it.
PS3 PSN: SonicChill
PS4 PSN: Yummybear222

wolverine4286
2 years ago#7
Thanks for the responses. I am more familiar with 'western' rpg games and after the amount of years playing these games, I have always been a tad ignorant to JRPG games. But this looks crazy entertaining. Loved the style of Catherine and this looks like it on crack.

User Info: touhyui

touhyui
2 years ago#8
What games do you play usually? Like CoD? Battlefield? GTA stuff?

wolverine4286
2 years ago#9
I am a GTA guy, but I only play single player games so steer clear or COD, BF. More rpg games like, Witcher, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect. Recently been playing Horizon and Nier Automata. Anything with an amazing story is a bonus (Naughty Dog) IMO.

User Info: NineteenthCross

NineteenthCross
2 years ago#10
If you're new to rpgs, go play Pokemon Sun/Moon.
That should teach you the basics of turn based rpgs.

Persona 5 isn't exactly something I recommend to someone who hasn't played RPGs before. It's like recommending Dead Rising 1 to someone who's never played action games before. The calendar feature is an unnecessary hurdle for new players, they'll get caught on something and end up in a situation where they can't win.
Welcome to Gamefaqs. Stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear other people's opinions and call them trolls.
http://nineteenth.wordpress.com/
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. New to JRPG and the series... Is it worth buying?
  • Topic Archived