• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate NES Remix
  3. Dr.Mario in championship mode

User Info: Maverick33322

Maverick33322
6 years ago#1
I've spent a huge portion of my weekend trying to improve and I've hit a bit of a wall...

I'm at around 1,000,000 as a highscore but not very consistently... My current strategy is to get through levels 1 and 2 quickly. Then try to combo viruses for points. I get no where near the leaders and am not very consistent... I typically am more around 700,000.

I'm wondering if it is my approach to combos or something else? I'm always finding myself hitting like 2 or 3 viruses which likely is why my score is so pitiful.

Any advice? I feel like I'm not improving and am unsure of what to do to improve.

User Info: RaisinBizzle

RaisinBizzle
6 years ago#2
I'm right with you, although my average is closer to 900,000 and my high score is around 1,300,000. You can get massive points by building up multiple combos, although it isn't easy to do. I have practiced comboing the first level which has been getting me 3,000 points instead of 800 right out of the gate, but I'm no where near consistent at doing it and my ability to do so seems to be heavily dependent on the layout I am given. I try to combo two at a time when I can, otherwise I just go for speed. I don't think I will get good enough to get 3+ combos consistently without the risk of blowing my entire round.
3DS friend code: 1075-0729-0396
Currently Playing: Othello, Dominos, Chinese Checkers

User Info: Maverick33322

Maverick33322
6 years ago#3
Thanks for the reply- I'm torn between having more options to combo and 'wasting' easy combos at the start. Glad to hear someone else is working on it!

User Info: ChiefDamonGant

ChiefDamonGant
6 years ago#4
Don't waste too much time on Stages 00 and 01. 01 has combo potential, but the 3000-point combo in stage 00 isn't worth the time spent on it unless the viruses are set up nicely for it from the start.

The pills distributed are the same every time. If you notice on Stage 00, there'll be a long period where no pills with blue sections spawn. I believe Stage 01 or 02 has a long dry spell of no red sectioned pills.
Unfortunately, the virus positioning is randomized, though it's always balanced in the colors (there can be 1 more of two of the virus colors in the event that the amount of starting viruses isn't divisible by 3, but otherwise there's the same amount of each color). The positioning along with the set pill distribution can mess you up bad.

A large combo is pretty much required to get a decent score, three or more (which is really difficult to pull off consistently) can potentially get you in the top 7. The first virus is worth 200, the second is 400, the third is 800, and every virus afterwards is 1,600.

If you get to the point where you can consistently score 1,500,000+ points per run, you're doing very well. Most of those really high leaderboard scores aren't easily replicable without getting a lucky combo setup.
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate NES Remix
  3. Dr.Mario in championship mode
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A