• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tekken 7
  3. What is the most important aspect of a character for you?
Gameplay. The design is what draws you in initially, but there are characters who I thought looked really cool but uninteresting to play

And then I have characters that I didn't care for design wise but turned out to be really fun and they end up being my mains.
"Gamefaqs used to be a much better place back in the day." MarkManSDT

User Info: Gilliator

Gilliator
4 weeks ago#12
Well-designed looks and costumes are the most important, but if I find the character to be incredibly awkward to use, I have to switch. I also need my character to have personality and not be boring or too basic. I tend to avoid "main characters" of franchises... (except Kazuya and Heihachi who are the coolest and baddest men in gaming). I'm also loyal: I've had the same few favourites in Tekken, Calibur and SF since 2009 which is when I got into the genre.

The least important aspect of a character is their tier. People who choose characters based on tier lists don't deserve to play fighting games.
PSN Nulju-Lurjus

User Info: XelaroC

XelaroC
4 weeks ago#13
PotatoAsh posted...
A mix of gameplay and design (mostly animations), some nice lore could be nice to make the character more likable but it's not a must for me.

ARMOR KING/KUNIMITSU main.

User Info: Sephiroth360

Sephiroth360
4 weeks ago#14
Gilliator posted...
People who choose characters based on tier lists don't deserve to play fighting games.
Tbf, people are free to pick characters for whatever reason they want.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Gilliator

Gilliator
4 weeks ago#15
Sephiroth360 posted...
Tbf, people are free to pick characters for whatever reason they want.
Off course they do but I just find it incredibly lame. Tier lists ruin the fun.
PSN Nulju-Lurjus

User Info: Sephiroth360

Sephiroth360
4 weeks ago#16
Gilliator posted...
Off course they do but I just find it incredibly lame. Tier lists ruin the fun.
Certain characters like Bob being mostly played by tier whores is a bit of an exaggeration. Kuni and Lili have high usage despite not being that good. You also can’t tell which characters are mostly played by loyalists and tier whores since you aren’t a mind reader.

It wasn’t even confirmed if Bob had high usage in previous games. Even if he did, what makes it so hard to believe that Bob can’t have a lot of loyalists? People say certain characters don't have genuine fans because they dislike them and want to downplay their success in an attempt to prevent them from returning in future games.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: aton_ra

aton_ra
4 weeks ago#17
Design.
All heroes have established their thrones atop not just their enemies, but a large quantity of allied corpses as well. There are no monarchs with clean hands.

User Info: ZuuF

ZuuF
4 weeks ago#18
I try all movesets until I find one that meshes with me. I don't play Bob for the damage or range necessarily, but for the animations and how the moveset matches his background and story.
Knight of the Rose

User Info: NaclynE

NaclynE
4 weeks ago#19
bloodshutt posted...
* Gameplay. If it's a generic af character with all the generic moves, I will not give a f***. Looking at Leroy.

* The next is animation. This is the sole reason I picked up Kuni this season for ranked (aside from her being cute af). Her moves are elegant, tricky, and mischievous at the same time. Her gameplay style and the animations surrounding her style fit together so well and I can just look at her SET 1,2,1 go on loop forever. Or her b4, 3. Or her BT d4. Excellent character.

What gets me all this is "Kunimitsu II's move style is elagant" yet Leroy's style is "generic"? I honestly disagree with this. Also if you really want to talk about a "elegant character" look at Zafina. The way she goes from Spider stance to Crow stance is very elegant and smooth. I have seen performers in real life do what she does and it impresses me when I see this done in real life. Just Kunimitsu II I really don't see anything elegant. Only thing that I don't mind is her DOA Ayane u 3 (Ayane's u 1+2 btw). But just my opinion.

Sultan1996 posted...
Kunimitsu is one of those characters I respect their gameplay a lot because most characters in this game are too safe to punish unlike her and very few others. Those characters to me are well balanced characters.

Kunimitsu II like Noctis and Alisa require block then throw type game play. I find it dumb. I shouldn't have to beat people this way.

@Sephiroth360 posted...
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why some people prefer Jun over Asuka. Jun's animations are elegant and beautiful while Asuka's animations are very janky. It's a bit of a shame Jun isn't that popular.

Well Asuka plays and has the same exact animations of Tekken 2 Jun. Just Tekken Tag 2 Jun was given the Hworang treatment sorta where they took Asuka and yeah gave her a elegant "reach" style game play. But this I still don't understand. Jun doesn't play the way she did in Tekken 2. She plays like Asuka. Her play style of Tekken 2 was given to Asuka while her Tag 2 is Asuka but with some changes. Unknown shows a bit more originality because she has pillar based moves and muzochi's claw stuff.

Jun is still popular. People still want her Tag 2 style. Me I am fine with that but would like some aspect of Unknown in her too because in some ways she played better than Tag 2 Jun and didn't come across so much as a Asuka clone despite supposedly being the OG.

I can at least give Kunimitsu II that much where her move set is 80% not Tag 2 Kunimitsu or Tekken 2 Kunimitsu.

@Gilliator posted...
Well-designed looks and costumes are the most important, but if I find the character to be incredibly awkward to use, I have to switch. I also need my character to have personality and not be boring or too basic. I tend to avoid "main characters" of franchises... (except Kazuya and Heihachi who are the coolest and baddest men in gaming). I'm also loyal: I've had the same few favourites in Tekken, Calibur and SF since 2009 which is when I got into the genre.

The least important aspect of a character is their tier. People who choose characters based on tier lists don't deserve to play fighting games.

It all depends for me. DOA I jumped into Kasumi and mained her until 4 being Ayane. But other franchises including Tekken yeah I don't go with the main character but a character fitting my play style.

I agree about the tier list thing. I pick characters fitting my play style and if I like their design. People that pick characters by a tier list seem to only care about winning $ and not enjoy the game. I have played fighting games since SF 2 arcades in the 1990's and I never went by a "tier list". I got and get wins by practice and effort.

@Sephiroth360 posted...
Certain characters like Bob being mostly played by tier whores is a bit of an exaggeration. Kuni and Lili have high usage despite not being that good. You also can’t tell which characters are mostly played by loyalists and tier whores since you aren’t a mind reader.

See this is what bugs me. "Kuni and Lili have high usage despite not being that good". I see these statements alot. I mean seriously have you tried Bob, Kunimitsu II, and Lili yourself? Don't answer that. You answered my question. You obviously haven't because you went by "what you 'heard' and not what you did yourself" just like alot of people commonly do. Unlike alot of people I give characters a fair shake and speak from "my experience" not what someone else says.

I at least tried all three and the only character I can agree with that "isn't all that good" is Bob.
PS3, PS4 handle: NaclynE102. YouTube channel: Naclyn Erick II

User Info: TongYoon

TongYoon
4 weeks ago#20
Design.
  1. Boards
  2. Tekken 7
  3. What is the most important aspect of a character for you?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A