• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tekken 7
  3. What is the most important aspect of a character for you?

User Info: Sephiroth360

Sephiroth360
4 weeks ago#1
What is the most important aspect of a character for you?

Gameplay is first and foremost to me. A design isn't enough to keep me interested in a character and I hardly care about the story.

Her gameplay is very boring and having a cool design isn't enough for me to stick with her. If I don’t have fun with a character then I see no reason to stick with them.

User Info: PotatoAsh

PotatoAsh
4 weeks ago#2
A mix of gameplay and design (mostly animations), some nice lore could be nice to make the character more likable but it's not a must for me.
No, you can't have my pudding.

User Info: NaclynE

NaclynE
4 weeks ago#3
Varies in my opinion for me. Design initially but I preferably try the character out against the AI somehow. On the arcade cabinet or in game move list I then look for "the basic moves" and see what X, Y, Z is. Then I test them. Then if X or Y or Z is doable then I may have a winner maybe. Maybe depends on if I am forced to face a actual person or the AI just wails on me. If the AI just wails on me then I suppose I should look into a different character maybe. If another player shows up and beats me off the machine I should wait until the person is off and figure out what to do next. I do try the character multiple times but if the character doesn't work out the character doesn't work out. If the character really doesn't work out I need to look for another character.

To explain things better I'll give Tekken 1 for an example. I was drawn to Yoshimitsu, I found his moves easy to learn, I beat my friends easily but lost to a Law user. On other tries I wound up losing to Jack, Law, and King users on different machines. Then I tried Michelle who looked good but seemed to complicated to play as. I then tried King and he didn't feel like my thing. I then used Jack and I lost easily. I then used Law where I never liked how he looked and what I saw from others using him and found myself to be like every Law user in getting wins easily. Tekken 2 I was like "well I can only get wins with Law so I'll use him". Jun looked plain to me. I thought she was going to be a Japanese highschool student girl initially so that's why I didn't pick her. But I kept losing to Jun players. I was then like "well I guess I should try her". I did and got wins against people with her. I decided to branch out and try other characters like Bruce, Baek, Alex/Rodger, Heihachi, Kazuya, Kunimitsu, Anna, Devil/Angel. Bruce I was getting decent wins, Same with Anna, Baek got me pwned by a Kazuya player but I liked the character, Heihachi, Devil/Angel, Lei, and Kazuya weren't my thing but got wins, and Kunimitsu wasn't to bad like in Tekken 1 that I got a couple wins with on Tekken so rarely used Kunimitsu on 2. Rodger/Alex felt to much like King so I was like nah. Lei I had some wins but he wasn't my thing. But when 3 was out I felt forced to go to the drawing board. Gunjack I was getting some ok wins but would lose to Jin players every time. Hworang players were 50/50. I tried Hworang and felt him to not be like Baek so I didn't use him. I also used Eddy but so did everyone else and got wins with. I tried Xiaoyu and she seemed ok to me but a bit to complex for me. So for months I had no main. When Bryan was released I tried him out and found him to play like Bruce. I finally had a main. Then I found myself using him for Tag 1 (with Gunjack. Undefeated) and 4. Got a few wins but wasn't happy with how Tekken 4 was in arcades. Did easily beat the AI too. When arcades were closing I wasn't convinced with "online gaming". Gave it a shot on Virtua Fighter 6 online and despite winning I hated my first experience because my opponent was a lag spammer for 8 rounds. Made me vow to never play fighting games online ever again. But when Tekken Revolution came out I wanted to give online gaming a second chance so I chose Asuka (not by choice. Bryan was locked). Since I used Jun against people and only went against the AI as Asuka on 5 (the parlor that had it closed so I rented the PS2 version then bought 5 GH then years later 5 DR PSP then 6 PS3 and Xbox360) I decided to use and main her. I started rusty then got my Tekken 2 tricks back but hit up to Green ranks. So I hit up 5 DR or and learned some listed and unlisted stuff then moved to yellow. Then practiced more offline then got to orange then red rank 2. I then got Bryan unlocked but my brain had a memory decline so I got worse with Bryan but better with Asuka. I also got Tag 2 Jun and just hated her. I wound up buying Tag 2 and started using Baek again and was finally getting wins surprisingly (with Asuka) and Unknown (solo) who I felt played better than Tag 2 Jun. 7 wise I knew everyone here disliked how Lucky Chloie looked so I picked her initially to spite people here. Then I realized after playing her enough and getting good online wins with her I realized she is a good fit for me. Negan I am a Resident Evil fan mostly. While being aware of the Walking Dead shows I wanted to give him a shot despite the "Miguel style game play". Didn't disappoint. Started skimming through the show and was liking his character. Also I like the actor.

Just a bit of an example. Usually I shoot for design and game play but there may be other reasons too on why I pick who I pick. Just Tekken 3 was one of those times I didn't have a choice. Tekken 1 like everyone else did exactly what the TC is asking: they picked X character because of their choice of the selection. Me was look and game play until Yoshimitsu turned out to be a bust then I picked Law for "other" being "to get wins against people". 2 was "because I kept losing against Jun".

F me...><...bloody wall of text again.

Was tough to explain.
PS3, PS4 handle: NaclynE102. YouTube channel: Naclyn Erick II
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Trickstar90

Trickstar90
4 weeks ago#4
(Other: be female) > Design > Gameplay > Lore

If I like a character's design, I will learn them.
Unproductive drain on society.

User Info: KungGuld

KungGuld
4 weeks ago#5
Gameplay could vary. I'll enjoy it either way. If all else works, it's the character for me.

User Info: sailormoonfetis

sailormoonfetis
4 weeks ago#6
Other: Graphics

If the feet is too blocky then I don't like its graphics. Especially the females.
The best things about Japan: anime, manga, ryona and sushi.
Sailor Moon, producing ryona since 1992.

User Info: bloodshutt

bloodshutt
4 weeks ago#7
  • Gameplay. If it's a generic af character with all the generic moves, I will not give a f***. Looking at Leroy.

• The next is animation. This is the sole reason I picked up Kuni this season for ranked (aside from her being cute af). Her moves are elegant, tricky, and mischievous at the same time. Her gameplay style and the animations surrounding her style fit together so well and I can just look at her SET 1,2,1 go on loop forever. Or her b4, 3. Or her BT d4. Excellent character.
PSN: https://psnprofiles.com/Soul_XCV
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Soul_XCV/
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Sultan1996

Sultan1996
4 weeks ago#8
bloodshutt posted...
* Gameplay. If it's a generic af character with all the generic moves, I will not give a f***. Looking at Leroy.

* The next is animation. This is the sole reason I picked up Kuni this season for ranked (aside from her being cute af). Her moves are elegant, tricky, and mischievous at the same time. Her gameplay style and the animations surrounding her style fit together so well and I can just look at her SET 1,2,1 go on loop forever. Or her b4, 3. Or her BT d4. Excellent character.
Kunimitsu is one of those characters I respect their gameplay a lot because most characters in this game are too safe to punish unlike her and very few others. Those characters to me are well balanced characters.

Sephiroth360
4 weeks ago#9
Sephiroth360 posted...
Gameplay is first and foremost to me. A design isn't enough to keep me interested in a character and I hardly care about the story.

Take Kazumi for example, her gameplay is very boring and having a cool design isn't enough for me to stick with her. If I don’t have fun with a character then I see no reason to stick with them.
Fixed, I forgot to make some edits to my comment.

Sephiroth360
4 weeks ago#10
bloodshutt posted...
The next is animation. This is the sole reason I picked up Kuni this season for ranked (aside from her being cute af). Her moves are elegant, tricky, and mischievous at the same time. Her gameplay style and the animations surrounding her style fit together so well and I can just look at her SET 1,2,1 go on loop forever. Or her b4, 3. Or her BT d4. Excellent character.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why some people prefer Jun over Asuka. Jun's animations are elegant and beautiful while Asuka's animations are very janky. It's a bit of a shame Jun isn't that popular.

Speaking of animations, is it true that old veteran characters like Heihachi and Kazuya have the same animations since T1?
  1. Boards
  2. Tekken 7
  3. What is the most important aspect of a character for you?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A