• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Need help "getting good" at this game.

User Info: Squall_exe

Squall_exe
5 years ago#1
I'm actually not playing on the WiiU version I'm playing it on the PS3 version w/patch & data install.

I'm posting here cause the PS3 forum hasn't been updated since November so I figure this would be better cause people are still talking about the game here.

So essentially I'm having problems playing the game, I can't seem to "feel" combos and weapons., things like which weapons/combos are good, when to use them, and general enemy awareness.

And I've mentioned this to guys in the P+ community who play stuff like MGR:R and Vanquish, I myself recently Platinumed these games too so I'm familiar with advanced difficulties and mechanics like dodge offset, parrying, jump/dodge cancelling and etc but...

I feel like I'm just button mashing and hoping something works.

I don't get it, and I'm not sure how they work either. Some combos involve holding the attack button while others need you to rapidly press it.

And sometimes when I try to hold a move it doesn't charge or I hold it for too long and stops the combo short. Its like, on paper I know HOW to play it, I understand the general gameflow but not the more refined aspects? If that makes sense?

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
5 years ago#2
You never have to hold buttons for combos. Holding the buttons just does a secondary attack with the equipped weapon, like firing a gun, charging an extra slash, or pulling an enemy toward you. The white dots in combo strings represent brief beats of inaction, not holding the button. You may just be struggling with timing attacks as the last one ends, in which case I'll say that there's nothing wrong with just mashing the next attack button to catch that window.

The only time you need to hold a button is when you want to dodge/taunt/accessory offset the combo.

If you're just getting into the game, I'd suggest the following:

1) Go into Practice Mode (during a load screen), find a few combos that you like that give Wicked Weave attacks, and memorize them.

2) Focus on dodging attacks so you get Witch Time and then use that as your chance to attack. You can even intentionally dodge into attacks (it's invincible) so you get Witch Time. Just don't use dodge five times in quick succession without pause. You can use the shoot button to keep your combo alive while you wait.

3) Against minor enemies with obvious tells e.g. Affinity, Applaud, Beloved to some extent (just watch the grab), feel free to go ham once you feel confident in your ability to watch for attacks while fighting. Against enemies where you feel as if you are being caught be surprise, slow down, focus on dodging, and wait for Witch Time so you can get those Wicked Weave combos off.

Witch Time is intentionally very strong, and it's okay to use it to give yourself openings. Just keep in mind that it's disabled for some fights or specific attacks, but you'll still get a slow motion dodge that signifies that you probably have an opening now.
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia

User Info: Squall_exe

Squall_exe
5 years ago#3
Ok this helps a bit, I figured witch time was something I needed to work on. But how exactly does it work? Cause there are times where I'll dodge but it doesn't activate or when it does it doesn't last very long. It is cause of the magic gauge? Do I need to get some combos in and build it up before hand?

I'm playing through on hard now and it is a nightmare, my score wouldn't be so bad if I could stop taking so much damage and spamming items. I actually remember cheating to get stuff like pillow talk, bazillions and the bracelet of time to try things easier.

I'm not even sure if that worked, I don't use the bracelet cause my magic gauge is so low most of the time, and I have no clue if these weapons are even any good compared to the standard stuff.

One of the few tactics I can try which works is the Durga/Kilgore glitch combo and even then I can get kicked out of it easily on hard..

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
5 years ago#4
Witch time activates when you dodge within five frames of being hit, assuming you're Bayonetta and playing on Hard or easier. If you have Bat Within, there's another frame after being hit where you can activate it as well (for an extended version of Witch Time). When you dodge into or through an attack that would have otherwise missed you, I don't actually know what determines it, but it seems to go off more often than not (probably the same condition as if you were standing in the attack as it first hit, except you can dodge later?). Witch Time's duration, when triggered off the standard dodge method, starts at two seconds and extends up to six if you hit enemies with attacks during Witch Time. Again, remember that some attacks simply never activate Witch Time, such as Jeanne's non-wicked weave attacks.

The only other ways to get Witch Time are the Bracelet of Time and Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. The former is situationally useful, while the latter only gives Witch Time (and a longer version of it) if you parry on the frame before being hit, though you'll still block if you're early.

Now, for actual combat mastery, you really want to get used to that dodge offset. You said you know how it works, so I'm not going to say it all out, but that animation cancelling and ability to move freely while performing an attack chain makes you get Wicked Weaves faster, and those are what you want for more points, more damage, and more crowd control. Plus, they're ranged, so it effectively doesn't matter where you're attacking from if you can build to them quickly enough.

Weapon specifics are probably just something you'll have to learn through experience. Shuraba has very nice alternate style of Wicked Weaves such as PKP that hits a huge arc and its Iai-Jutsu (charge punch) is very powerful, for example. It's a very good weapon to learn well since it's useful in basically all situations. Kulshedra on the other hand is a slow weapon that doesn't give much damage, so it's generally not worth using unless you want to utilize its range and ability to pull small enemies around, from what I know of it anyway. But you could, for example, pull an enemy to you in midair with Kulshedra and then switch to a faster weapon.
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Need help "getting good" at this game.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How to equip/unequip weapons items and artifacts? Tech Support1 Answer
How to equip costumes? Tech Support1 Answer
Telephone cheat? General1 Answer