This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Maker
  3. SOFTLOCK bug, be careful!

User Info: NOKAUBURE

NOKAUBURE
3 years ago#1
So, today I discovered a way to softlock this game in editor mode. I reproduced it 3 times in a row by doing this:

- In editor mode place a warp pipe
- Make the 2nd area underwater
- Point the pipe in up direction
- Place the pipe so its 1 tile under the thick line of the grid (the one that marks the camera size)
- Test the game and try to enter in the 1st area pipe. When entering 2º area, the game will be softlocked.

You cant do anything. Mario and the timer are freezed, and you can't pause or do anything except reseting the console. You can't save the map either, so if you didn't save the data will be lost. Touching the screen makes the hand appear in the TV so its not a crash.

If I didn't explained correctly, I can upload a map, but it wouldn't be fun to get softlocked while playing a 100-mario challenge just for entering a pipe.

EDIT: Seems that doesn't matter if the style is SMW or if Mario is carrying a shell, so I edit the post.

User Info: TheBLD

TheBLD
3 years ago#2
Oh my god, thank you TC! BRB, I am going to create the ULTIMATE troll level.

Kidding, maybe
Seven Deadly Sins 9ED4-0000-0084-8866 | Mushtroid Prime 3B24-0000-0029-D7DD
Fire Flower Emblem 3920-0000-0053-AB88 |Baby Yoshi Orphanage 1D99-0000-0013-7035

User Info: mario masta

mario masta
3 years ago#3
Yeah, I can already think of a troll design off the top of my head.
...I guess...

User Info: X_Ayumi_X

X_Ayumi_X
3 years ago#4
TheBLD posted...
Oh my god, thank you TC! BRB, I am going to create the ULTIMATE troll level.

Kidding, maybe

mario masta posted...
Yeah, I can already think of a troll design off the top of my head.

And your levels won't last long as people will report them.
GT: Ayumi Spender
Only talk to me when I order you to. 3DS: 2921 9091 2567 X/Y Living Pokedex W.I.P.: http://i.imgur.com/gNKfd8C.jpg

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
3 years ago#5
NOKAUBURE posted...
the 1º area pipe while holding a shell (again, dunno if this matters). When entering 2º area,

What do you mean one degree and two degree?
King K Rool, Krystal, Fawful for Smash
SMM: 6450-0000-0016-AF7A If you don't like this stage, try my others.

User Info: Helsionium

Helsionium
3 years ago#6
Gargomon251 posted...
NOKAUBURE posted...
the 1º area pipe while holding a shell (again, dunno if this matters). When entering 2º area,

What do you mean one degree and two degree?

It's probably his way of saying "first" and "second". Maybe he's Italian or Spanish?
Favourite games: Zelda Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime 1-3, Xenoblade, Xenosaga 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
Team Rocket Elite 3 years ago#7
I tried this out a bit. When you create an underwater level with no blocks above the first screen limit, the game automatically creates a ceiling and I assume just doesn't create a level above that point. Normally, you just can't access that area. However, if you use a upward facing pipe at the upper screen boundary, you bypass this limit. The game tries to put Mario in the out of bounds area and freezes since it doesn't know what to do. You can do this with the first area being underwater, you just need to come in from the sub area. You don't need a shell to trigger it. Game style doesn't matter.
No amount of rallying would let me beat raytan7585.
Congrats to raytan7585 for winning the CB9 Guru Contest!

User Info: tendoboy1984

tendoboy1984
3 years ago#8
Softlock? It's called freezing. Where do you people come up with these terms?
PSN: PS_man1984 || Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984

User Info: NOKAUBURE

NOKAUBURE
3 years ago#9
It's probably his way of saying "first" and "second". Maybe he's Italian or Spanish?

Yeah, sorry, i will edit the main post, didn't known it was only in spanish that type of enumeration.

I tried this out a bit. When you create an underwater level with no blocks above the first screen limit, the game automatically creates a ceiling and I assume just doesn't create a level above that point. Normally, you just can't access that area. However, if you use a upward facing pipe at the upper screen boundary, you bypass this limit. The game tries to put Mario in the out of bounds area and freezes since it doesn't know what to do. You can do this with the first area being underwater, you just need to come in from the sub area. You don't need a shell to trigger it. Game style doesn't matter.

Ok, so seems more dangerous now since you can trigger it without being smw or carrying a shell. Hope this is fixed before troll levels appears.

Softlock? It's called freezing.

Freezing is when the wii makes the "beeeeeeeeeep" sound. Softlock is when the game is running normally with the song but you don't have any control over the game. You can check some softlock bugs on youtube from various games.

User Info: tendoboy1984

tendoboy1984
3 years ago#10
I did this just now. You don't have to reset the console. Just press the home button and exit the game.
PSN: PS_man1984 || Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Maker
  3. SOFTLOCK bug, be careful!
  • Topic Archived