• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto Online
  3. So what's with the random flashes of lightning...
SJWFaqs 1 month ago#1
And rolling thunder in the game? I'm assuming it's something for Halloween month and seem to recall reading something about it but I forgot exactly what it's for.
Coolhand 1 month ago#2
It's got to be halloween-related. Not going to get too excited but it is nice to see something different.

Weird thing, tho, I was just standing outside, there was the lightning flash, and I started looking around at the sky. Exactly when the thunder hit I just got +$2500 in my wallet. Hardly a lot of money, but, what was weird is, no explanation of why.

Not like "oh you've been well behaved here's $2000" ... just "+$2500".

Not even sure the two things are related, but, I've never seen that before ...
SJWFaqs 1 month ago#3
I guess I'll have to check my account when I get on today to see if I was given some free money too.

Though just after I posted this thread I saw it mentioned somewhere that the flashes are related to a new event in Paleto Bay.

Edit: The announcement mentions lights and UFO sightings around Paleto Bay, but not lightning and thunder.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-onlines-halloween-ufo-event-teased-points-to-paleto-bay/1100-6497116/
(edited 1 month ago)
Coolhand 1 month ago#4
I should note, the cash thing happened one time, and I've seen lightning several times. I don't know (if anything) what was different about the one instance. Had a few while I was delivering a client vehicle, another while in a business battle, nothing there, and one while just tooling around town in a car.
SJWFaqs 1 month ago#5
Coolhand posted...
I should note, the cash thing happened one time, and I've seen lightning several times. I don't know (if anything) what was different about the one instance. Had a few while I was delivering a client vehicle, another while in a business battle, nothing there, and one while just tooling around town in a car.
I was driving to the La Mesa Los Santos Customs in the concrete river when the lightning and thunder happened.

It seems kinda weird to have the effects so far south if it's for the Paleto Bay event.
SJWFaqs 1 month ago#6
I finally saw a flash of lightning earlier. It was actually 2-3 bolts that converged on one spot and seemed to make a badge/symbol in midair.
Mookiethebold 1 month ago#7
If you go to Paleto Bay between 22:00 and 04:00 you'll see a UFO hovering over the water. The thunder and lightning signals the time that it's there. When you get close, assuming you're in a copter or something, it sends out an EMP that disrupts your engine and radio, but they'll start up again after a couple of seconds.
the world won't stop without you
Coolhand 1 month ago#8
Mookiethebold posted...
If you go to Paleto Bay between 22:00 and 04:00 you'll see a UFO hovering over the water. The thunder and lightning signals the time that it's there. When you get close, assuming you're in a copter or something, it sends out an EMP that disrupts your engine and radio, but they'll start up again after a couple of seconds.

Road trip!
GasmanOAV 1 month ago#9
I’ve been in Paleto Bay the last two days. I get there before 22:00, but I don’t see flashes of light until just after 4:00. No lighting bolts and no UFOs.
I'm not even winded.
Coolhand 1 month ago#10
Went there twice last night (two different "nights"). The UFO is kind of to the south of the Paleto bunker, out from the dock. Or at least, both times I went out there it was.

No lightning out there, nor thunder, just the UFO over the ocean. I emptied all the Mk II's rockets on it one time just screwing around ... no impact at all. When you get close, yeah, EMP (it actually REALLY screws with the MkII, I had no thrust but the booster for a while afterwards, made it tricky to get back to land). Won't crash a chopper but it definitely makes it fall a ways. And then the UFO just vanishes.

Kinda neat.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto Online
  3. So what's with the random flashes of lightning...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A