• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. What are the black flakes that are often flying through the sky supposed to be?

User Info: TranslatorTom

TranslatorTom
4 years ago#1
You know what I'm talking about, right?

They didn't exist in the PS3 version.

I'm not sure what they are supposed to be.

Can anyone tell me?
-Tom

User Info: gtaisking

gtaisking
4 years ago#2
Been to an optician lately?
Block. Awarded to users with at least 5000 karma. Wow. You really don't have a life.

User Info: SuperVegitoFAN

SuperVegitoFAN
4 years ago#3
Could it be birds??
L.J.Gibbs: Rule 51:
"Sometimes You're Wrong."

User Info: BarneyBosco

BarneyBosco
4 years ago#4
Its just a cheap particle effect... Some developers use it effectively like naughty dog. Others like DICE use it to have papers flying through the air, millions of papers, in the middle of the jungle. It use to be a very cool thing to see in games, but like everything devs can get lazy and view it as another box to check mark.
http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ana-Ivanovic-5.jpg
PSN J_Frost77 search my PSN to join the Divinity Original Sin Community

User Info: JohnniePolo

JohnniePolo
4 years ago#5
Love to see a screenshot to know what you are talking about. Legit curious.
"Please purchase microtransactions in order to connect your controller"

TranslatorTom
4 years ago#6
SuperVegito2487 posted...
Could it be birds??

No, no... It's like flecks of tiny black paper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypYWCUkR2fk

They're very common along the beach, but can be seen in other places too. Watch the video in HD... You'll see plenty if you pay attention, even though this video isn't concentrating on them, particularly. You may think that they're birds in the distance, but if you pay attention, you'll see them floating in between the character and the pavement, which proves they're not birds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjN1A7tcd98

Ah, here... One flows right in front of the sailboat's sail on the left in the very first second of the video. You can't call that a bird! There ARE birds that appear later, but those are very clearly birds. The black flakes are something different... And like I said, they don't appear at all in the PS3 version. Only the PS4 version.

I've even seen them come very close to the camera. They look like black flakes. I was talking about them to someone else who hadn't even noticed them before, but said that now they can't unsee them, after I'd pointed them out.

I've heard people call them particle effects before, but... I mean, particles of what? What are they supposed to mimic the effect of? They look like flakes of volcanic ash to me. I can understand dust particles, or something... But those black flakes are way too big to be dust... Load up the PS4 version and head over to the beach... They are most frequent there, but they appear in other places too.
-Tom

TranslatorTom
4 years ago#7
I loaded up the PS3 version again, and they're in there too. It's just that they're a little harder to notice with the lower resolution. And I think there are a greater number of flakes floating around in the PS4 version as well.
-Tom

TranslatorTom
4 years ago#8
Still wondering about this...

Have other people not seen the black flakes?
-Tom

User Info: Shadow Flare

Shadow Flare
4 years ago#9
It's probably just supposed to be garbage and stuff floating around.... I know what you're talking about

Honestly who cares though? Shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game, right?
War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.

TranslatorTom
4 years ago#10
Shadow Flare posted...
It's probably just supposed to be garbage and stuff floating around.... I know what you're talking about

Glad someone else noticed... The black flakes are different from garbage, though. Why would flakes be flying around all over the ocean, but not in the middle of the city? It doesn't even look like garbage. It looks like ash.

Honestly who cares though? Shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game, right?

I love the game, and I've beaten all of the single player missions. I own it on both the PS3 and PS4, so I'm not really complaining. I am curious about it (and I do care) because there's so much attention to detail, and clearly, they are trying to emulate -something- by putting black flakes around. I want to know -what- effect they are trying to reproduce.

I appreciate the game not just from a purely gameplay standpoint, but I also really like all of the finer details. Also, I find it baffling that most people don't even realize the black flakes are there until you point them out... Maybe I'd have to e-mail Rockstar about it, but I doubt that their customer service has the graphics programmers and artists on speed dial to answer such an admittedly ridiculous question, even if it is a sincere question that it seems nobody can answer.
-Tom
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. What are the black flakes that are often flying through the sky supposed to be?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A