• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Blade of Mercy Build Question

User Info: Boricua_Kidd21

Boricua_Kidd21
3 months ago#1
Do you lose a lot of damage potential by not investing into Arcane? Or can I be fine with the minimum amount of Arcane it takes to weild it.

User Info: fuzzy_Wabbit

fuzzy_Wabbit
3 months ago#2
Iirc the arcane on it was just so ut wouldn't be game breaking. I dont think it gets squat diddly from arc investment.
My gf's art: https://mobile.twitter.com/Rosebud61999752
My twitch:https://m.twitch.tv/fuzzy_wabbit/profile

Boricua_Kidd21
3 months ago#3
Sounds good. Thanks!

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
3 months ago#4
To break it down in slightly more detail...BoM has no Arc requirements whatsoever.
It has Base 120 Physical and 60 Arc Damage at +10.
No Strength Scaling Coefficient, but it has a 1.1 SC in Skill and a 0.69 SC in Arcane.
Now, Scaling is a coefficient of the base damage. So BoM's Arc only hitting 60 at +10 is what limits it.
AR is determined by 3 factors being multiplied by each other:
Base Damage * Scaling Coefficient * Attribute Saturation(your stat)
AS can be summarized as this, at 25 in a damage stat, your AS is 0.5 or 50%.
At 50 in a damage stat, your AS is 0.85 or 85%. And then at 99 your AS is 1 or 100%.
From 0 to 25 you hit 50%, from 26~50 you hit 85% and then from 51~99 you slog your way over to 100%.
This is why 25 and 50 in Damage Stats are viewed as the scaling softcaps save for Arcane/Bloodtinge Tool Scaling.

Let's plug those into the BoM.
60 Base Arc * 0.69 Arcane Scaling Coefficient * 0.50 from 25 in Arcane = 20.7, so you'd have about 80~81 Arcane Damage.
60 * 0.69 * 0.85 = 35.19 so you'd have a whopping 95~96 Arcane Damage at 50 Arc.
60 * 0.69 * 1 = 41.4 so a grand total of 101~102 Base Arcane Damage at 99 Arc.

The returns on leveling Arcane for Blades of Mercy, even when you hard cap Arcane, are paltry at best.
Think of it as having a constant Empty Phantasm Shell effect on your weapon preventing you from using papers.
Even if you did roll a Nourishing Gem setup, you'd barely be outdamaging a physical setup if at all pending enemy resistances because of split damage defense issues and in using Nourishing, you'd be losing out on extra Visceral damage compared to if you just stuck 3x 27.2s on it and called it a day.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3DS: 0662-2616-5710 FGO: 349-336-611
I'm just a scrublord. I prefer casual games.

User Info: Beutlin

Beutlin
3 months ago#5
Unbound-King posted...
Your explanations of AR calculation are always so helpful, Unbound. One day I'll have learned to not forget the formula ;)

AR = BD + (BD * SC * AS)

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
3 months ago#6
Beutlin posted...
Your explanations of AR calculation are always so helpful, Unbound. One day I'll have learned to not forget the formula ;)

AR = BD + (BD * SC * AS)
I'm dumb, I meant to say Scaling is determined by 3 factors... ;~;
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3DS: 0662-2616-5710 FGO: 349-336-611
I'm just a scrublord. I prefer casual games.

Boricua_Kidd21
3 months ago#7
Unbound-King posted...
To break it down in slightly more detail...BoM has no Arc requirements whatsoever.
It has Base 120 Physical and 60 Arc Damage at +10.
No Strength Scaling Coefficient, but it has a 1.1 SC in Skill and a 0.69 SC in Arcane.
Now, Scaling is a coefficient of the base damage. So BoM's Arc only hitting 60 at +10 is what limits it.
AS can be summarized as this, at 25 in a damage stat, your AS is 0.5 or 50%.
At 50 in a damage stat, your AS is 0.85 or 85%. And then at 99 your AS is 1 or 100%.
From 0 to 25 you hit 50%, from 26~50 you hit 85% and then from 51~99 you slog your way over to 100%.
This is why 25 and 50 in Damage Stats are viewed as the scaling softcaps save for Arcane/Bloodtinge Tool Scaling.

Let's plug those into the BoM.
60 Base Arc * 0.69 Arcane Scaling Coefficient * 0.50 from 25 in Arcane = 20.7, so you'd have about 80~81 Arcane Damage.
60 * 0.69 * 0.85 = 35.19 so you'd have a whopping 95~96 Arcane Damage at 50 Arc.
60 * 0.69 * 1 = 41.4 so a grand total of 101~102 Base Arcane Damage at 99 Arc.

The returns on leveling Arcane for Blades of Mercy, even when you hard cap Arcane, are paltry at best.
Think of it as having a constant Empty Phantasm Shell effect on your weapon preventing you from using papers.
Even if you did roll a Nourishing Gem setup, you'd barely be outdamaging a physical setup if at all pending enemy resistances because of split damage defense issues and in using Nourishing, you'd be losing out on extra Visceral damage compared to if you just stuck 3x 27.2s on it and called it a day.

That's some heavy detail. Thanks for taking the time.

Boricua_Kidd21
3 months ago#8
These things aren't too easy to use, lol. I got em asap without going into a chalice dungeon because I wanted to play as much of the game as possible with them and level up naturally (so to speak). Before even beating Gascoigne. Took a while to farm 40k echoes in the first area of the game, but it was worth it. Took a while for me just to beat the Cleric Beast with em, lol. Even my threaded cane did more damage.

I'm on Amelia right now, and she's tough because she does so much damage and I have to hit her so many times. I don't know how you BL4 people do it. Those early stages before getting your gems and whatnot must be rough.

But it all comes down to me simply getting hit. One thing that made the weapon challenging is unlike DS3, here, even the weak/beginning area of enemies don't get stun locked. But the moveset is cool. The 2 handed LT is great for damage and (reasonably) getting out of harms way. So I bust out the however many R1s into LT combo.

They're shining better now that they're at level 6. I've pretty much only leveled my Skill (31) so far and a point or so in Vit and Endurance. Both of the two handed heavy attacks are pretty brutal. Trying to snatch up that stamina rune in the Forbidden Woods. But Amelia is in the way, lol.

All in all, they're cool. Require a different approach to fights (I think) so that makes it fun.

Edit: After posting this, I beat Amelia right away. My weapon was at +4 and now they're at +6 along with my Skill up a few points after going through Hemwick. I had to heal a bit (like 10 times) but I got her.

User Info: kerogi

kerogi
3 months ago#9
You should be just fine unless you've invested a lot of time into arcane abyssals and flat arc gems because the scaling with skill is way better than the arc scaling! The super varied moveset makes them a neat weapon
please help i cant stop talking about bloodborne it's becoming a problem

Boricua_Kidd21
3 months ago#10
Yeah they're nice and strong now at +6 with however much Skill I got (33 or something). Two handed RT is a great whiff punisher. Stamina hungry move, but it hits hard.

Was a double edged sword for me to get the weapon so soon since I can't get Henryks outfit (for the style). Didn't even think of till now. But I should have ended Eileen with Henryk. Then I could have still gotten the weapon quite early. I think. I'd have to look up her quest line to see when she fights Henryk. I might be wrong thinking she goes there after beating Gascoigne and talking to her outside the Chapel.
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Blade of Mercy Build Question
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A