• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Newbie - Things I wish I knew starting out *potential spoilers*

User Info: andyp3500

andyp3500
1 month ago#1
I’ve never played a Souls or really know anything about them other than that they’re meant to be very challenging. Picked the GOTY Edition up for very cheap a short while back and finally decided to give it a go.
I consider myself a good gamer but I have to confess I nearly gave up on this after about 5 or 6 hours of getting nowhere. It honestly took me that long just to reach the first boss yet alone beat it.
I’m glad I persevered as once the game ‘clicked’ with me and I worked out a few things I hadn’t realised when starting I am having an absolute blast. I have defeated 2 bosses and am currently feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the areas that have opened up, I’m guessing the game is very non linear from this point. I have decided to explore Old Yarhnam.
Things I wish I knew:
- Excess Blood Vials/Bullets/Items you loot after you have 20 go into storage and they refill when you die. I hadn’t realised this and stopped looting enemies when I had 20. Wasted a lot of looting/collecting opportunity by not realising this.
- You don’t have to go straight to the first boss. After my initial frustrations I decided to explore/loot a bit more and eventually discovered the sewers (better gear!) and that you can open up the gates to create shorter routes. This was eventually how I managed to get to and defeat the first boss without breaking my controller.
- Attempting and failing on the first boss allows you to level up.
- When you die and you lose all your bloodstones you have a chance to get them back if you can return to where you lost them without dying. Realising this saved me so much as instead of redoing whole sections and re-killing all the enemies you can just rush through back to where you were without losing any progress/money.
- The game requires a lot of repeating sections when you die, if I’d known it was so much of this I may not have started it as don’t usually like this, however I am getting used to it and once I realised basically anything you do other than money collected isn’t lost I found it a lot less frustrating.
- You can hold down R2 to charge a really powerful attack. This has made things a lot easier as if you sneak up on an enemy or a group you can deal some serious damage before they attack and give you a good head start.

I’m sure I have a lot more to discover but I’m glad a persevered past what felt like an impossible first part.

User Info: brestugo

brestugo
1 month ago#2
Well this is a helpful board. If you have any other questions, just ask.
git gud

User Info: Valrien

Valrien
1 month ago#3
To add some things:
-What makes you able to level up is actually collecting your first point of Insight. You can level up before fighting a boss if you pick up a Madman's Knowledge in the sewers and then going back to the Dream.

-If you don't see your echoes, look around. It's actually a few seconds before you die and enemies can pick them up (look for glowing purple eyes)

-It does require a lot of repetition but the game is super open with the amount of shortcuts there is, and you don't have to fight every enemy you come across...so you're rewarded for exploring by having to repeat things less. Even if you don't normally like repetition, give BB a shot (for all you noobs reading this)

-If you fully charge an R2 into an enemy's back, you can hit R1 to rip out their guts. You can put an enemy in this same state by shooting them with your gun as they are attacking (specifically, when they are in the second half of their attack...when their momentum is carrying them forward)

Keep going, friend :)
PSN: ValrienDravic

User Info: junctx_materia

junctx_materia
1 month ago#4
If you sneak back attack a PIG, you never get your dignity back.

User Info: andyp3500

andyp3500
1 month ago#5
Valrien posted...
To add some things:
-What makes you able to level up is actually collecting your first point of Insight. You can level up before fighting a boss if you pick up a Madman's Knowledge in the sewers and then going back to the Dream.

-If you don't see your echoes, look around. It's actually a few seconds before you die and enemies can pick them up (look for glowing purple eyes)

-It does require a lot of repetition but the game is super open with the amount of shortcuts there is, and you don't have to fight every enemy you come across...so you're rewarded for exploring by having to repeat things less. Even if you don't normally like repetition, give BB a shot (for all you noobs reading this)

-If you fully charge an R2 into an enemy's back, you can hit R1 to rip out their guts. You can put an enemy in this same state by shooting them with your gun as they are attacking (specifically, when they are in the second half of their attack...when their momentum is carrying them forward)

Thanks for the advice. I would never have worked out about visceral attacks, luckily saw it mentioned online and now I use them all the time. Makes the Executioners and a few other enemies a lot easier!
I freaking love this game its amazing, I just beat the spider boss and am now deciding which area to do next and when to go into the DLC sections!

Thanks also for the advice about running past enemies, I am certainly doing this a lot for areas where I've already defeated everything and used the shards to level up. Im not finding it tedious or repetitive at all anymore now I 'get' everything a lot better.

User Info: Valrien

Valrien
1 month ago#6
andyp3500 posted...
Valrien posted...
To add some things:

Thanks for the advice. I would never have worked out about visceral attacks, luckily saw it mentioned online and now I use them all the time. Makes the Executioners and a few other enemies a lot easier!
I freaking love this game its amazing, I just beat the spider boss and am now deciding which area to do next and when to go into the DLC sections!

Thanks also for the advice about running past enemies, I am certainly doing this a lot for areas where I've already defeated everything and used the shards to level up. Im not finding it tedious or repetitive at all anymore now I 'get' everything a lot better.

DLC is generally after the 2nd to last boss in Mensis or before the secret final boss.

After Rom the next point in the story is Yahar'gul, where you're transported initially after killing her.
PSN: ValrienDravic
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Newbie - Things I wish I knew starting out *potential spoilers*
  • Topic Archived