• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. This is a great game, but reminds me why I liked the Souls games and Nioh more.

User Info: Dtok

Dtok
9 months ago#1
Bloodborne is an awesome game. I like it, but the limited options to handle every situation is a major turn off point for me.

First off, Shields/Blocking. I understand that it's looked down upon to rely solely on the shield, yet at the same time there are too many situations in Bloodborne where your dodging gets you stuck on some tiny piece of destructable terrain and you eat a major attack because of it. Of course, you can attempt to parry, but there are way too many enemies that causes pistols to absolutely miss their mark and the shotgun types prove to be too slow to parry faster enemies.

Second are the ranged options. In Bloodborne they might as well not exist. The viable options are also inefficient as you either need a dedicated build to get it to work or are so bloody expensive that you might as well risk losing blood echoes with a melee attempt than be successful with a ranged attempt.

And finally, the lack of playstyle variety. There is only one playstyle variety in Bloodborne and thats to dodge+attack. I get that it's the fun kind, but it gets stale after a long while. In Dark Souls, you can opt to pummel stuff to death with spells, ravage enemies with weapon arts, snipe enemies down from a long distance, sneak around to assassinate, and so much more. Even in Nioh you can Super Seiyen past the entire stage, stealth across, use bombs, snipe with bows/guns/cannons, or wreak all sorts of havoc with overpowered Shurikens.

Again, Bloodborne is a great game, but playing it again reminded me of why I enjoyed the Dark Souls games and Nioh more.
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQm4-fm9o-qRQmALZ8P1JTA
PSN: DToNE7

User Info: promero14

promero14
9 months ago#2
Nioh sucks, got sick of the same music over and over

User Info: knightimex

knightimex
9 months ago#3
Get Simon's bowblade after betting the 4th boss. (if you have the dlc)
snipe all end game and later dlc bosses from a safe distance.
2 types of people: F-you! Do it my way because I'm a jerk.
You'll never be as good as me here's easy mode.

User Info: SquireRamza

SquireRamza
9 months ago#4
Dtok posted...
Even in Nioh you can Super Seiyen past the entire stage, stealth across, use bombs, snipe with bows/guns/cannons, or wreak all sorts of havoc with overpowered Shurikens.

I mean, this reads like "Nioh has more variety because it gives you a bunch of different overpowered bulls*** to trivialize the game." That's what I couldn't really stand about Nioh--after a certain point, you could just whoop everything's ass so easily no matter what you did that it didn't matter what you were doing.

Saying the only playstyle in Bloodborne is dodge and attack is like saying that the only playstyle in checkers is moving forwards and backwards. But checkers is more complicated than chess for just that reason--the game is so simple that it's actually more difficult to understand its deeper workings.
Well lookie here buddy, you wanna be like me, pull outcher six shooter and rob every bank you can see, tell the judge that I said it was alright.

User Info: kablamo

kablamo
9 months ago#5
I literally just finished Nioh.

The options for the player to handle an enemy is greater than BB, but that's all Nioh does well.

Halfway through the game, if you have any smarts, you figure out about 90% of enemies can be beaten by backing up, waiting for the attack, and jumping in and pummeling them.

The big problem is the use of the same enemies, no real mystery.

That's a reason I have always enjoyed the Souls series, hearing a new enemy, moving cautiously to find them, then figuring out how to beat them.
It's not that it's difficult to be successful, it's just real easy not to be.
"Your bargaining posture is highly dubious" - Unicron

User Info: BabySh0es

BabySh0es
9 months ago#6
definitely disagree on the lack of different play styles. Game has every style of play except for like, great shield tanking from Dark Souls but thats boring as hell unless you are memeing and using it to attack. I also like BB hunter tools more than most spells in DkS. Especially augur of ebrietas which can also parry.

User Info: Secramor

Secramor
9 months ago#7
Dude..Nioh is absolute trash. I beat it once and never touched it again. What a f***ing chore that game was 😪

User Info: Dtok

Dtok
9 months ago#8
While I do agree that Nioh does have a few weak spots (such as the inability to communicate "weight" to the player), it does have many strong points that Souls games can learn from.

Well, anyways, first as previously discussed, the difference between Bloodborne's direct dodge + attack style against Nioh's varied playstyles.

Bloodborne
https://youtu.be/_sg3xGOeDxk

Nioh
https://youtu.be/cxnJ9-dlx3w

This shows just how varied both these games can be. Bloodborne's is far too direct where as in Nioh it was possible to build a Stealthy Magic Ninja Samurai. Both styles have their own fun, but in terms of customization, Nioh has Bloodborne beat.

What Bloodborne does better is create tension as you're never really "fully prepared" when facing any encounter. You are given only a limited amount of supplies and you have to deal with the situation ahead. Nioh cannot really provide this, as the game gives you ample time to prepare for all encounters and offers the ability to change your build infinitely provided you buy the respec item.

But, if I have to speak about replay value, I must say that Nioh definitely has the advantage over all of the Souls game for the simple fact that you can replay any stage with any boss at almost any time. That and you can jump between difficulties very easily if you feel the need to go back to pick up more loot or treasure. That and in terms of cooperative play, Nioh is definitely better in that regard as anyone that wishes to coop with another person can answer anyone looking for help anywhere in the game, unlike in the Souls games where help is area specific and sometimes its impossible to find help in certain areas under certain conditions.

While I really like the atmosphere and weighty combat of Soulsborne games, I do have to admit that Nioh does better in areas Soulsborne games seem to be lacking.

Still, once I finish Bloodborne again, I think that's it for me and Bloodborne. It's a great game, but the lack of flexible builds really makes it hard for players like me that enjoy stuff like stealth, magic, and defensive play.
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQm4-fm9o-qRQmALZ8P1JTA
PSN: DToNE7

User Info: kablamo

kablamo
9 months ago#9
@dtok

So you're the type that doesn't read others comments?

kablamo posted...
The options for the player to handle an enemy is greater than BB, but that's all Nioh does well.

Dtok posted...
in terms of customization, Nioh has Bloodborne beat.

kablamo posted...
That's a reason I have always enjoyed the Souls series, hearing a new enemy, moving cautiously to find them, then figuring out how to beat them.

Dtok posted...
What Bloodborne does better is create tension as you're never really "fully prepared" when facing any encounter.

In the end, Nioh doesn't touch the overall package that BB or Dark Souls is.

Nioh ends up boiling down to picking a stage, killing everything, and repeating. No incentive to look for anything, there are almost no secret areas to explore, while there are optional missions, they are rehashed stages from before.

And the fact you see the same enemies from the first stage all the way to the end is an absolute killer, and is indefensible when attempting to compare to the variety in BB.

Nioh is a nice game, but nowhere near the production that BB is.
It's not that it's difficult to be successful, it's just real easy not to be.
"Your bargaining posture is highly dubious" - Unicron

User Info: neccis

neccis
9 months ago#10
Bloodborne and Nioh are great games. ;)
PSN: siccen_
splits open to reveal jam
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. This is a great game, but reminds me why I liked the Souls games and Nioh more.
  • Topic Archived