• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Is the burial blade any good?...

User Info: QuetzacoatL1000

QuetzacoatL1000
4 years ago#1
I assume most weapons will be decent if used correctly(?) but even my self in the first play through, i found the stupid hunters axe to be really broken. I rarely ever found a situation where it wasn't the best choice of weapon to use. Despite that being said, i upped my holy blade with the blood stone you find in the game before going to NG+ (and i kinda regretted it, because i felt using it on axe woulda been so much better)

tl;dr is Burial blade a weak weapon? Is hunters axe OP, or am i just using other weapons wrong.

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
4 years ago#2
Burial Blade is a jack of all trades weapon. It has probably the most diverse moveset of any weapon in the game, it hits fairly hard, breaks decent poise, has excellent rally potential and range, horizontal and vertical strikes, but the trade-off is it's a stamina whore and has split damage. IMO, it's far better than the Axe, with portions of it's moveset satisfying the same utilities, while offering more.

The Axe is in the bottom tier of weapons, IMO. Does that mean it's not viable? Nope. Every weapon in Bloodborne is. It just does nothing that other weapons don't do better. Most players are initially attracted to it because "blue numbers."
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry

User Info: QuetzacoatL1000

QuetzacoatL1000
4 years ago#3
KDTProjekt posted...
Burial Blade is a jack of all trades weapon. It has probably the most diverse moveset of any weapon in the game, it hits fairly hard, breaks decent poise, has excellent rally potential and range, horizontal and vertical strikes, but the trade-off is it's a stamina whore and has split damage. IMO, it's far better than the Axe, with portions of it's moveset satisfying the same utilities, while offering more.

The Axe is in the bottom tier of weapons, IMO. Does that mean it's not viable? Nope. Every weapon in Bloodborne is. It just does nothing that other weapons don't do better. Most players are initially attracted to it because "blue numbers."

That too...I wish i understood the game better. Because when i was going through gem socketing, i was like "I really doubt the only ones that make my numbers blue are the good ones"

Like..could you give me an example off the top of your head of when to use the elemental damaging gems. Are some bosses just extremely weak against an element?

Edit: In terms of my gameplay experience with the axe. I basically cheese'd 90% of the games enemies, and some bosses with the axe's charge up R2 ability. It has extreme range, and knock back. so with the proper timing, you can basically kill anyfoe without any risk of taking damage.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
4 years ago#4
The damage is pretty weak (Charged two handed R2 on my 51/50/16 does less damage than an normal 2 handed r1 with the LHB), but the moveset is ludicrously fun and it's super versatile. I main it for general levels since it's really fast and has good range in it's Quelaag's form and you can just stun combo 99% of enemies into paste. The Scythe version is a little bit tricky in it's range and angle of swings (quite easy to go over stuff) but it's again, really fun and can be really, really useful for some set ups, not unlike the Axe with it's range. The axe is more consistent and easily controlled with it's range, but the BB is faster and it's charged R2 out ranges anything and the knockdown is great. I messed about with different moves and stances a hell of a lot more than the Axe because it really has no wasted moves.

I BASICALLY never use it for bosses since I'll take the damage over speedy combo emptying, but it can still be cool. I just used it to get past the defiled Keeper of the Old Lords and basically that R2 made it impossible to lose as I was always a couple of steps away from out ranging every attack and the range is so absurd she couldn't close the gap between me and the end of the hitbox.

So TL:DR, probably the most fun, versatile general enemy weapon in the game, lacks enough punch to be ideal for most bosses.

User Info: Edge_of_Ada

Edge_of_Ada
4 years ago#5
The speed, the rally, the sexy L2s for hitting heads, and the range on its moves like the charged R2... It makes a great complement to BoM in PvP, in my experience. Switching to it from BoM seems to trip people up because of the radical range and playstyle difference.
I'm sure that it's apparent that I'm not that smart
Worthless and embarrassed by my dumb remarks

Great_Khan
4 years ago#6
The Hunter's axe is a great weapon but it's probably the most "do three things and never anything else" weapon in the game. It may have been aided by the fact I had blunt gems on it most of the game, but I really never one handed it. The two hand is just spin to win, r2 overhead and R1/L1 sweeps, the dash attack is friggen garbage (again, not helped by the blunts, but even before then it's a rubbish attack), the combo isn't great and it sits in an awkward middle ground on damage and speed where you can sacrifice some speed and range for huge damage bumps with the LHB or sacrifice some damage for the speed with the BB, both being options I prefer. The range rules but the fact that it combos so straight so much takes away from the advantage of that first sweep.

Will always be one of my favourite weapons since I loved it for so long, but it's limited.

User Info: The_Kuraikage

The_Kuraikage
4 years ago#7
The Burial Blade is actually quite excellent. Don't gem for Rally, as its potential is already so enormous that you're wasting your efforts. Instead, the best gems to invest in will be Nourishing Gems, preferably with stam use reduction as their second effect. Nourishing Gems bolster all damage types on a weapon by the value stated, which actually makes them stronger than normal Gems on split-damage weapons like the Burial Blade. Cold Gems are also a viable option if you want to use this weapon on an Arcane Build, as boosting the scaling will provide massive returns at 40-50 Arc.
GGXRD: Leo, Johnny (Revelator); Skullgirls: Beowulf/Peacock

Great_Khan
4 years ago#8
I'm not an expert here, but I've tried to do some math on this before to learn for myself so, without actually doing testing here's where I have come to on the Nourishing vs Physical debate on it.

I'm not sure how close your % needs to be on your nourishing gems to make them better than pure physical actually, at 50/50/50 you're getting 302 physical and 95 arc. Doing unconfirmed spreadsheet math 3x27% on the physical gets you somewhere between ~550 and ~618 physical damage, + 95 arc (I can't remember how the math works haha, I know the %'s stack but I don't think it's as simple as ((302*1.27)*1.27)*1.27... But still, treating it as somewhere between 641 and 713.

With a nourishing at 22% you get 501-548 + 115-172 which is somewhere between 617-720 total AR. The truth is closer to the high figure but it's a bit lower. The problem is then that it's split damage and that means each figure is being defended against individually, and while the total AR may be higher, the biggest damage source, physical is much higher, and that means a lot more of that damage gets through the enemy's armour, the Arc damage is always going to be much closer to the enemy's arc defense, meaning a lot less of it gets through, so even if the AR is higher the source of that AR is gimped a lot more heavily, and your stronger damage source is going to be lessened.

This is also looking at TOP percentages, if you're using more basic gems the ratio gets even more out of whack, with a 22% physical out performing a 17% nourishing in total AR even at the highest possibility, so even if you're just going AR you're not going to see them match until the absolute high end from the depth 5 dungeons, definitely given the main game gives you 22% physicals and only 15% nourishings. Even with just the mensis 18's the tiny 3% advantage for the physical still outnumbers it.

TL;DR How accurate does my logic look guys who know this stuff?

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
4 years ago#9
The_Kuraikage posted...
Instead, the best gems to invest in will be Nourishing Gems, preferably with stam use reduction as their second effect. Nourishing Gems bolster all damage types on a weapon by the value stated, which actually makes them stronger than normal Gems on split-damage weapons like the Burial Blade. Cold Gems are also a viable option if you want to use this weapon on an Arcane Build, as boosting the scaling will provide massive returns at 40-50 Arc.

There is so much wrong with this statement.....It has a base of 60 Arc AR. That MASSIVE return at 40-50 ARC (for the sake of argument lets say you're at 50) means you'll get Base damage * 0.65 * delta(stat). This translates into 60*0.65*0.843. Which means that MASSIVE return you mentioned is 32.8 Arc AR. It will also lower your physical damage by between 50 and 60% by sacrificing one % based gem, be it Physical or Nourishing. Scaling is a function of the weapons base damage, first and foremost, dictated by your stats. Low Base damage will always yield low returns on scaling.

In PvE, if you have 50 Arc, by all means use Nourishing. It will net you marginally more damage. If you plan on doing PvP, use all Physical Base gems, as you'll get about 15% more AR to punch through a players defenses, while the relatively low Arc damage will remain low, and not change much at all.

The Burial Blade is most efficiently used by ignoring Arc investment altogether.

Pop quizz: what's the best damage spread between these?
300 Physical AR / 200 Arc AR
400 Physical AR / 80 Arc AR
270 Physical AR / 270 Arc AR

Submit your answer with reasoning.
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry

User Info: Jeron212

Jeron212
4 years ago#10
KDTProjekt posted...

Pop quizz: what's the best damage spread between these?
300 Physical AR / 200 Arc AR
400 Physical AR / 80 Arc AR
270 Physical AR / 270 Arc AR

Submit your answer with reasoning.

In general I would say the 270/270 for two reasons:
1. It has the highest total AR. This is the best for punching through neutral resistance mobs.
2. In PvP the bone ash set is pretty common which has garbage arcane resistance. The higher arc damage will let you punch through.

One reason why the 400/80 would be better:
In PvE if an enemy is exceptionally weak to arcane I would just use something like kos parasite or an arcane LHB. Something with 0 physical and 500 arc (made up numbers) in order to exploit a weakness to the fullest. If the enemy has neutral resistances then the highest AR is the best to have (going back to #1). Due to this I would use a weapon with a 270/270 spread mostly as a novelty weapon and have dedicated arcane, fire, and bolt weapons. A 400/80 set up would be more useful as a general purpose anti-boss weapon since you would never be crippled by the 50/50 arcane if a boss has high arcane resistances. No bosses have exceptional physical resistance. Of course this argument makes the assumption that you only have one weapon in which case you just need to farm more blood gems and blood rocks.

Did I pass?
I hunt all of the fluffy little creatures.
PSN: jeron202
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Is the burial blade any good?...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A