I might buy this game... Should I though?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. I might buy this game... Should I though?

User Info: Hyaku_Man

Hyaku_Man
2 years ago#1
Hi all!

I have been considering buying this game for a while now... Maybe a few months.
I completed Dark Souls 3 two times and the other From Software games I played are very old now - the eternal ring and Kings Field.

I loved Dark souls 3 and thought it was the best game ever for me.

I am somewhat familiar with Bloodborne's lore by watching some videos and I love some of the songs like Gehrman the first hunter, cleric beast, mergo's lullaby, ludwig and hail the nightmare
Really creative stuff.

The question is > would I enjoy playing the game? This one looks much darker, violent and more demanding than Dark souls 3. At least more speedy.
I also seem to get mixed feedback from the boards. People either seem to praise it as the best thing ever or dismiss it while comparing it to dks 1 and so on.

Some thoughts worth considering for me at least
1) Are Chalice Dungeons cool or a chore?
2) Are bosses as memorable as the ones from dks3/previous From games?
3) I often hear that Bloodborne doesn't offer many build choices when compared to dks games. If we refrain from comparing, are the builds still wide and satisfying?
4) Is the co-op scene for both pvp/pve active as of May, 2016?
5) If I buy this game - would you guys say it's better for me to play through the main game and see if I like it first or jump right in and buy the game + DLC?

Would appreciate any thoughts ^^

User Info: asbsand

asbsand
2 years ago#2
Chalice dungeons are boring compared to the rest of the game, but since some patch the fixed chalice dungeons now contain player messages and don't feel as isolated. Lots of unique enemies and bosses which is the tradeoff. The level design is too repetitive in the Chalice dungeons but it's additional content, contains a lot of context for the story of the campaign and is a great means to keep playing when you've seen what the main game has to offer. All I need to say is, when I beat the game and it automatically took me to NG+, I just ran with it and played it again, and I didn't feel like stopping.

The bosses are fantastic. They each feel like they are part of the mystery that explain part of the story, at least I think so. As far as I can remember there is not one boss in the game that felt like it came out of nowhere like in Dark Souls 2 or 3.

The world is very interconnected like Dark Souls but two or three critical areas of the game can only be warped to, and the game has a hub like Demon's Souls regardless, to let you travel to other areas which can make the world feel more disjointed than it actually is. Needless to say, you will find yourself feeling far from home only to suddenly take an elevator that takes you back to Yharnam that leads to Oedon Chapel (this game's NPC gathering spot), and you will find yourself revisiting early-game areas late in the game to unlock new sections of them.

Also, the story in this game is the best one in the series. It required me to play it three times before I actually understood it properly, but it is a tragically beautiful story and lore, and it intrigued me much more than Dark Souls did and it's proabably better than Demon's Souls' which I otherwise found to have the best story. The campaign is also subversive. Unless you've been spoiled you have no way of foreseeing how crazy the narrative gets in the latter half of the game, when it basically changes genre from Gothic to Cosmic Horror and classic Lovecraft stuff.

Basically, it's the game of the generation and though I definitely think Dark Souls 2 and 3 have better online play and sense of community while you're playing, and much more customization, Bloodborne feels like the next step for the franchise and boy, the graphics are a lot better to be honest.
Say what you will about Naughty Dog games, but they have ZERO replay value >:D

Hyaku_Man
2 years ago#3
All I need to say is, when I beat the game and it automatically took me to NG+, I just ran with it and played it again, and I didn't feel like stopping.

I had exactly the same reaction towards Dark Souls 3!

Thank you for your very valuable information!
I am not sure if you played the 3rd Dark souls but I was afraid that the Chalice Dungeons would turn out to be irithyll dungeon over and over again.
It's nice that they sort of un-isolated it.

Yea, I might buy it since the only other From game I can play is dks2 and that one gets a lot of hate.

Thanks again ^^

User Info: Bombtwo

Bombtwo
2 years ago#4
I have always felt DS1 and BB had the best "looping" level designs. When I open a shortcut, it always amazes me. Atmosphere wise, BB>DS1>>>other Souls.

In terms of builds, everything is melee. The difference lies in the trick weapon you choose. Every weapon is a build in itself... though one can argue about quality/dex/str/bloodtinge/hybrid builds, but it's really the weapon that makes the distinction.

Looking at your concerns, I'm surprised you have watched videos and read so much about this game, but not played it yet. From what I have heard, BB is going for cheap nowadays, and if it is available in your country I would get the bundled disc version with the DLC. There is literally no reason for a Souls fan not to try BB. I have played DS3 as well, but what aspect of Irithyll dungeon do you dislike? If anything, Chalice Dungeons are more like the Demon Ruins area repetitive through multiple layers. I don't like it, so I stopped after the Pthumerian dungeons... but it takes nothing away from the main game, and it'll be a shame to miss BB just because you dislike the very optional Chalice dungeons. It's just a thing for players to do endlessly after main story, on top of NG+.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
2 years ago#5
The co-op is still active in the sense that you'll be able to find people to help you with areas while leveling without much problem, and you get summoned fairly often as well. Not as fast as DS3 or SotFS(PC version) of course, but pretty fast.

As for PVP, I've only been invaded once on my new character(around level 70, just getting to Bergenwyrth) and I've only been summoned and encountered invaders less than a dozen times(whereas I'd say 1 in 5 summons in DS3 have an invasion occur at some point). That said, BB's invasion system was kind of s***ty unless you were a person deathly afraid of even hazarding the chance of getting invaded. I don't know about high level PVP populations now, but I know the game was much more fight club/organized PVP than other games in the series for the most part, so it might still be very active at meta.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
"To the Privileged, Equality feels like Oppression..."

Hyaku_Man
2 years ago#6
Thank you all for your replies! :)

Yea, well since Dark Souls 3 is the only game I've played out of the souls series and the fact that I still have around 10 good games that I haven't touched at all doesn't make me rush into buying a new one right away.

It's nice to know more about the chalice dungeons, online pvp/pve scene and so on.

I'll probably get the game today or tomorrow and give it a try ^^

Cheers all

User Info: Shankis

Shankis
2 years ago#7
Hyaku_Man posted...
1) Are Chalice Dungeons cool or a chore?

Mostly a chore, some of the bosses can't be found in the main game though, so you got something to look forward to at least.

2) Are bosses as memorable as the ones from dks3/previous From games?

For me personally, it has a lot of memorable fights. Some very cool bosses in this game.

3) I often hear that Bloodborne doesn't offer many build choices when compared to dks games. If we refrain from comparing, are the builds still wide and satisfying?

It's pretty much Strength, Skill, both, Arcane and Bloodtinge. It feels a little limited, mostly with Arcane because it takes so long to get it going.

4) Is the co-op scene for both pvp/pve active as of May, 2016?

Co-op, definitely. I dont PvP, so I can't comment on that.

5) If I buy this game - would you guys say it's better for me to play through the main game and see if I like it first or jump right in and buy the game + DLC?

I believe there's an edition of the game that comes with the DLC, so I'd just get that.
Troll the respawn, Jeremy.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
2 years ago#8
I will say weapon variety is much lower, but when it comes to builds, I feel like the game isn't THAT limited. I think it just stems from the fact that there are fewer weapons than Souls games, and you are less likely to build for a specific weapon than you are for a few weapons(since every weapon seems to benefit from a STR, SKL, Quality, or Hybrid Arcane build rather than needing some specialized build for that particular weapon like in Souls games). That and all magical items and abilities fall under a nebulous "Arcane" stat rather than 3-4 kinds of magic dictated by 3-4 different stats. In that way I think it's less about inflexibility of builds, and more about just streamlining. Not saying it's better or worse than build variety of the Souls games, just saying it might not be fair to just say "This one has less, so it's worse."
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
"To the Privileged, Equality feels like Oppression..."

User Info: Gobey6

Gobey6
2 years ago#9
If you liked DS3... There's absolutely zero reason I can think of that you won't enjoy this game as well. Even if you end up preferring Dark Souls.
"You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback." --- Gamertag: Gobey6

User Info: jenrais

jenrais
2 years ago#10
asbsand posted...
Chalice dungeons are boring compared to the rest of the game, but since some patch the fixed chalice dungeons now contain player messages and don't feel as isolated. Lots of unique enemies and bosses which is the tradeoff. The level design is too repetitive in the Chalice dungeons but it's additional content, contains a lot of context for the story of the campaign and is a great means to keep playing when you've seen what the main game has to offer. All I need to say is, when I beat the game and it automatically took me to NG+, I just ran with it and played it again, and I didn't feel like stopping.

The bosses are fantastic. They each feel like they are part of the mystery that explain part of the story, at least I think so. As far as I can remember there is not one boss in the game that felt like it came out of nowhere like in Dark Souls 2 or 3.

The world is very interconnected like Dark Souls but two or three critical areas of the game can only be warped to, and the game has a hub like Demon's Souls regardless, to let you travel to other areas which can make the world feel more disjointed than it actually is. Needless to say, you will find yourself feeling far from home only to suddenly take an elevator that takes you back to Yharnam that leads to Oedon Chapel (this game's NPC gathering spot), and you will find yourself revisiting early-game areas late in the game to unlock new sections of them.

Also, the story in this game is the best one in the series. It required me to play it three times before I actually understood it properly, but it is a tragically beautiful story and lore, and it intrigued me much more than Dark Souls did and it's proabably better than Demon's Souls' which I otherwise found to have the best story. The campaign is also subversive. Unless you've been spoiled you have no way of foreseeing how crazy the narrative gets in the latter half of the game, when it basically changes genre from Gothic to Cosmic Horror and classic Lovecraft stuff.

Basically, it's the game of the generation and though I definitely think Dark Souls 2 and 3 have better online play and sense of community while you're playing, and much more customization, Bloodborne feels like the next step for the franchise and boy, the graphics are a lot better to be honest.

Celestial Emissary
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. I might buy this game... Should I though?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived